Orbit infant car seat and Consumer Reports

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Consumer Reports, yeah, I know, but they tested 6 Orbit infant car seats and 2 failed.

"Of the two failures in Consumer Reports’ tests, one occurred when the car seat base was attached using the Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) system that is featured on newer cars. The other failure occurred when the base was installed with the three-point (lap and shoulder) seat belt that is standard on modern cars. Six Orbit seats bought from retail merchants were tested. The other four passed our tests, and all findings were reviewed by an outside child-safety expert who has experience in child-restraint crash testing."

From here.

Another link.

And Orbit says...

ADS

CTRS4peds

This is the email I got. I also called and talked with CS. I have the toddler seat and trust Orbit over CR . CR I think has many flaws and ANY seat not installed right will fail, as in real life.

"Dear Orbit Baby parent,

Thank you for being a loyal owner of Orbit Baby products. I wanted to send you this email to address a recent piece of news about Orbit Baby car seats.
We were very surprised to recently learn that when Consumer Reports tested the Orbit Baby Infant Car Seat, two out of six units failed their safety test. Our extensive and regular car seat safety compliance testing program completely contradicts this. Our tests are conducted in the exact same lab that Consumer Reports and NHTSA (the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) uses. In all of our compliance tests, we have never seen the failures that Consumer Reports has reported.
Since safety is of top priority to us, we immediately ran more tests as soon as we learned about Consumer Reports’ results. We ran multiple tests in the same laboratory that Consumer Reports used, with various testing criteria, including the exact criteria Consumer Reports used. All of these tests passed. We also receive reports of real-life accidents from Orbit Baby parents, and we have never had a report of a separation or injury with an Orbit Baby car seat. Because we make products for children, we understand how important safety is. I have two daughters, and they use our car seats and our strollers. For me and for Orbit Baby, absolutely nothing is more important than the safety and well-being of children.
We are concerned Consumer Reports did not follow multiple aspects of our product instructions when they ran their tests. Safety regulations for car seats make clear that all testing should be conducted according to the product’s instructions. Consumer Reports’ tests are therefore not an accurate reflection of the safety of our Infant Car Seat.
Not following a car seat’s instructions can result in unpredictable test conditions, and we believe this is reflected in Consumer Report’s inconsistent results. Our greatest concerns are that they used a harness position that was too high for the size of the dummy, and that they did not turn the Base’s knob to engage the StrongArm™ self-tightening mechanism. In addition, we are alarmed that Consumer Reports showed an incorrect installation of the Infant Car Seat without the Base in the press video that they released to the public; they have acknowledged their mistake and have since edited the video. This further suggests they had not been properly following our Infant Car Seat instructions.
As many parents understand, a tight and properly fitted safety harness for their child is critical to the safety of a car seat. Consumer Reports themselves recommend that parents diligently follow all product instructions, so we are very concerned that they did not follow their own advice. We want to take this opportunity to emphasize again to parents how important it is to follow all product instructions in the real world. Please do revisit the product manual, and I encourage you to contact us directly if you have any questions.
We have already proactively contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), to inform them of the Consumer Reports test results and to share our own data and investigation. NHTSA is in charge of enforcing car seat safety laws in the US, and we will work cooperatively with NHTSA should they have any further recommendations for us.
Your child’s safety is of top priority to me and the team at Orbit Baby. Please visit this web page to find out more information about Consumer Reports’ testing: http://www.orbitbaby.com/support/safetystatement.html. Again, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-877-672-2229 or support@orbitbaby.com with any questions or concerns.
We appreciate your continued support for Orbit Baby."

crunchierthanthou

this is what stuck out the most to me-

Not following a car seat’s instructions can result in unpredictable test conditions, and we believe this is reflected in Consumer Report’s inconsistent results. Our greatest concerns are that they used a harness position that was too high for the size of the dummy, and that they did not turn the Base’s knob to engage the StrongArm™ self-tightening mechanism.

so excessive ramping up can possibly lead to the seat separating from the base? or do you think the other misuse issues may have contributed more?

BookMama

Senior Community Member

"they used a harness position that was too high for the size of the dummy,"

so excessive ramping up can possibly lead to the seat separating from the base? or do you think the other misuse issues may have contributed more?

Wow! I don't know much about testing, or about misuse testing, but it seems to me that this type of misuse is so darn common that they need to test the seat this way - and I think it should have to pass. :twocents:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
This was on our local new tonight, yeah, for the ONE person that owns one in Oregon. So, they stated to not use the base, and buckle the seat in.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
This was on our local new tonight, yeah, for the ONE person that owns one in Oregon. So, they stated to not use the base, and buckle the seat in.

Boy, I bet that one person is going to be thrilled that she spent $1,000 on a car seat that she has to buckle in every time. :rolleyes:

brightredmtn

Personally I'm going to go with the "Consumer Reports doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes to car seats" theory.

Remember when all but one seat failed by them then they had to come back and retract that test? I think they should stick to testing washing machines and leave car seats to the professionals.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Hey, if she ever wants a play date, let me know, I have never installed one. The one I have seen, is not from the Portland people, I know that.

MonAmiBelle

Hey, if she ever wants a play date, let me know, I have never installed one. The one I have seen, is not from the Portland people, I know that.

Next time we come down I'll let you know and check with her. I haven't played with the toddler seat yet either. I got the infant set for her and played with that before I brought it down to her, it was by far the easiest thing to install, ever. Of course she has a sub-microscopic car so it makes installation a bit of a PITA.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Thanks! Would love to take a look at either. I hate that there is a seat that I haven't played with yet!

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Personally I'm going to go with the "Consumer Reports doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes to car seats" theory.

Remember when all but one seat failed by them then they had to come back and retract that test? I think they should stick to testing washing machines and leave car seats to the professionals.

Amen! I agree!

twin momma

I'm not a CPST but I have to say that after having read the rebuttal that I'm pretty sure I would rather not risk my child's safety by using that seat. The lab people doing the tests are CPSTs if they were inable to properly follow the instruction, what are the chances that I would be able to do so? :(

Maedze

I'm not a CPST but I have to say that after having read the rebuttal that I'm pretty sure I would rather not risk my child's safety by using that seat. The lab people doing the tests are CPSTs if they were inable to properly follow the instruction, what are the chances that I would be able to do so? :(

If you see a competent CPST, you should be able to install any compatible seat. I'm not saying this particular seat is safe, or that the test isn't flawed.

Consumer Reports has a LONG history of not having a clue what they are doing. Honestly, although it's interesting to read about, I wouldn't let anything they have to say about any child restraint affect my purchase decision in any way. Because they're wrong about nearly everything.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

I think the point was that CR made installation mistakes, as evidenced by the use of the wrong slots, lack of use of the Strongarm tightening device, and the video showing incorrect use of the carrier, therefore, the tests are flawed and the results irrelevant.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Orbit is very DIFFERENT to install, but not in any way difficult, IME. From what I recall, the instructions are very clear.

I think it's even easier for the typical parent than for a CPST, just because it's so different than what we're used to, but a parent without any/a lot of experience won't be thrown by it at all.

It's been a while since I installed one, so I don't remember for sure, but I'm nearly positive that the instructions do, indeed, require the use of the knob mechanism for tightening. CR says they got it tight without it, but I do wonder if that's accurate. Like I said, I'm fuzzy on it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC