to keep the radian or not to keep the radian, that is the question....help me with the answer!

Amaris

This seat has been at my house for just over an hour, and I hate it. First off, I'm happy with it's birthday which is 05/09, however the manual, box, and seat still say 35lbs rf'ing. I spent about 30 minutes reading the manual, and it seems pretty straight forward as long as you take time and follow the directions. After reading the manual I ventured out to the truck (05 Ford Expedition w/leather) to see what happened. First I tried it ff'ing with the seatbelt since that seems to be the way there are the most complaints. It was actually fairly easy, and I was impressed and shocked. I tested it side to side and pulled it forward with no movement at all. From there I was thinking that rf'ing with latch should be nothing.....um, yeah, it had to make me curse, didn't it? It took 3 tries and making the mailman blush (he walked around the back of the truck in the middle of the 2nd try) to get the thing as tight as I can, and it's not as tight as I can get the marathon. If I grab the seat on the side at the belt path it really doesn't move, but if I try to move it anywhere up the seat from there it moves more than I would like. It is very reclined, I can't even have the front seat all the way back because it pushed the radian up. So, I don't have pics of it in the truck yet, but here's Kaitlin in it in the house. She has 2 more slots to go. I really don't like that the buckle is that far away, but the manual says to use the outer position for children over 30lbs, and she's a solid 31lbs.

Last edited:
ADS

Amaris

Here's a pic of it in the truck. Please ignore the crumbs, we just got back from a road trip and I haven't cleaned it because it was raining earlier.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Gorgeous blond curls!

Ok, Yeah, it's reclined, and it takes a LOT of learning to get it installed RF right. And it should be top tethered RF, so that would help with the movement, but really, it's the practice. I HAD to use the seatbelt when I first did it RF, but then once I got the LATCH straps set to *just* the right length, it's as easy as installing a rigid LATCH seat. But still, yeah, it's pretty reclined... wait, I think I favorited Debbie's 'how to get it more upright' post <searching> yup, got it... http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=32350 That might help? Ours fits in our van just fine RF so I've never tried...

Amaris

I tried it with the seatbelt rf'ing somewhere in all of that, but I just couldn't get it tight. Maybe if Dh helps. We may have time to try it tonight. Oh, and thanks, I love her curls, too!

Amaris

I managed to get it more upright! Just enough to get the front seat back all the way without moving the radian any. It seems tight, I just wish there was a tech near me that I trusted to check it. I've checked the ones on here and the nearest one is Rochester, but I'm nearly willing to drive there for this. Anyway, here's a new pic of it more upright. It is tethered in both pics, it just doesn't show up well.

Note: the marathon on the background is not installed, I just sat it there so no one would take it from the driveway. It will be removed, or reinstalled to use, before we go anywhere.

Last edited:

kandamom

I wish I could get mine more upright...:( In our van, it looks like your first installed picture. With the crotch strap furthest out (>30 lbs), ds2 slides down and seems even more reclined.

I was regretting my purchase at first, but I really like the seat now. Once you've installed it a couple times, it will be much easier. (Silly me, though - I didn't check it ff before deciding to keep it.)

Kaitlin sure does have beautiful curls!!

Rebecca
K - 7.5, 51.5", 57 lbs, Monterey
A - 25 months, 37.5", 32.5 lbs, rf in a Radian65

Amaris

After she sits in it the front goes right into the bight of the seat and it reclines itself back to what it is in the first picture. I'm going to post in the technical questions forum for more suggestions. I've read Defrost's thread and done everything in it, but it just moves itself.

I'm hoping her hair stays curly, everyone in the family thinks it will straighten out. I refuse to cut it because I don't want it to!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC