Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Safety First Complete Air

Question...I just got one for my 7 month old daughter, who is obviously rear-facing. And while I love it for her, when it is "properly installed" "with the line level to the ground, it takes up A TON of room in my Honda Accord, so much so that nobody can sit in the front passenger seat because of her car seat. Is this common-place and I just need to suck it up until she's forward facing, or am I missing something? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Safety First Complete Air

At 7 months old, she is not in need of the full 45 degree angle newborns need. Try putting it more upright, it shouldn't take up as much room. As long as her head doesn't flop forward when she's sleeping at a more upright angle, she doesn't need it all the way reclined. Up to 30 degrees is allowable, though she probably needs a bit more recline than that (more in the 35-40 range) at 7 months.

Also, you should make sure that your passenger seat is as upright as possible. Sometimes once it is more upright it can be moved back further without interfering with car seat installation.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Hi. I saw your comment on Facebook.

Just wanted to add, the way to get it installed more upright is this:

Thread the belt or latch strap through the rear facing belt path, and then as you are tightening, push down on the area where baby's feet would go instead of pushing down in the bum area. This will adjust the angle quite a bit and like KQ said, as long as it's between 30-45 degrees, and baby's head doesn't flop forward when she falls asleep, that should be fine and give you some more room up front.

Oh, and welcome to car-seat.org! Let us know if you need more instructions ro tips.
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

Elizabeth4861

Thanks very much for your responses!