Look for a light weight high back booster

U

Unregistered

Car seat experts:

I turn to this forum for advice again for my kids carseat needs. Currently they are 4yrs old and 2yrs old. We have two Britax boulevard and one Graco Nautilus. They use Britax everyday and for long road trips.

We are looking for a fourth booster for occasional use when DH happens to be required to pick up the kids. We hope it can also be light weight for airplane travel. DH wants it to be high back with side wings so the older one can sleep well on the airplane. The car seats we have now are all too bulky especially when you have to carry two onto the airplane. Is there ever high back booster which is light weight? We are hoping to carry one Britax and this new carseat for air travel.

Of course, it has to have good safety rating. Since this won't get too much use, cheap is another factor.

Thanks for your recommendations!

TH

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm thinking by high back booster you're meaning one that also has a harness in it?

Only harnessed carseats can be used on an airplane, so if you're speaking about just getting a belt positioning booster, you wouldn't be able to use it on the plane.

I would probably suggest buying a seat for the younger child such as the scenera or avenue, and then carrying one of the Britax seats for your older child. The scenera and avenue are both very light, and I'm sure that your 2yr old will fit fine in either of them. The avenue is a bit better padded and has energy absorbing foam, so if money isn't a huge concern, I'd probably go with it for those reasons. (I think the overall harness height is a bit higher as well.)

So far as safety goes, there aren't any safety ratings available to the public. All seats have to pass the same minimum standards in order to be sold in shelves. Provided that a seat is installed and used correctly, it should provide the proper protection to a child in a collision. :)

Maedze

Could you give the sizes of your two children? The two year old in particular needs a harnessed seat. Some four year olds are ready for occasional, short rides in boosters, but you cannot use a booster on an airplane.

If the four year old isn't off the charts in growth, it's possible they could share a seat.

The Cosco Alpha Omega Elite might be a good option. It's not *too* heavy if you take the base off, and the height on the harness can quickly be adjusted for either child.

U

Unregistered

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I didn't know that the airplane would not allow booster. Has to have harness...

So what is the lightest weight harnessed booster?

My older one is 37lb and 40". My younger one is 27lb and 34".

Thanks so much!

TH

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree with Trudy. I'd get an Avenue for the two year old (35 pound rear facing weight limit, so it'd be nice and easy to sleep with a pleasant recline rear facing on the plane, and in the car for that matter) and then take the Nautilus or a Boulevard with you. With a Traveling Toddler or a luggage cart and bungee cord you wouldn't have to carry the seat at all, and as an added bonus one of the kids could ride in it through the airport.

And just to clear up some terminology, a booster doesn't use a harness. It just uses the seatbelt to hold the child and seat in. A combination seat is like your Nautilus. It has a harness that is removable. Your Boulevards are convertible carseats, not boosters at all. They go from rear to forward facing. It's a bit pedantic, but the meaning changes a LOT when you come asking after a combination seat or a convertible and you say harness. It confuses us, and we don't like to be confused. :)

Wendy

Maedze

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I didn't know that the airplane would not allow booster. Has to have harness...

So what is the lightest weight harnessed booster?

My older one is 37lb and 40". My younger one is 27lb and 34".

Thanks so much!

TH

If you're looking for something that will fit both kids and doesn't weight A LOT, and will adjust fairly easily, the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite would be a good choice.

Your younger child should definitely still be rear facing and will fit nicely rear facing in this seat, and the Alpha Omega Elite (needs to be a new one from the store, not a passed down one, because the older models are very different seats) will adjust tall enough to easily accommodate your four year old as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC