Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4pt harness?

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: 4pt harness?

I would be inclined to try a Turbobooster. I am inclined to think that it might not work well with a high back booster and a helmet, therefore I'd want a booster that you can remove the back from just in case.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Ah, the helmet. Nik, you have a point there. Does the shoulder part tighten?

As far as I know, the shoulder part does not tighten. How would I not use the belt guides? I guess I don't understand. And you can see in the pics, that seat is very reclined, pretty close to 45 degrees. Can you recline the back on the Turbo?

Katie, momma to Kayleigh 5/9/2006 and Samantha 5/8/2012

Yes you can recline it.

Quote Originally Posted by disbugsmomma View Post
    As far as I know, the shoulder part does not tighten. How would I not use the belt guides? I guess I don't understand. And you can see in the pics, that seat is very reclined, pretty close to 45 degrees. Can you recline the back on the Turbo?
    Just ignore the belt guides. Pretend they don't exist. The purpose of belt guides is to make sure the belt is in proper position over the collar bone. I don't think you're going to have a problem with that with this harness.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Advocate

I'd be more inclined to try it with a backless booster, just that her helmet fits in the seat.

My mom still has the Big Kid booster my sister used, so I think I'll swing over there and borrow it. That way I can get a good idea of whether or not it will work. I think the seat still has a year or two left on it, so if it works I may just use it next year. The EBK can go backless, right? And does it recline like the Turbo?

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

EBK can go backless, but I *think* the backless starts at 40# (hbb at 30#) so it will be a parental decision to use it.

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Here's a pic of the 86Y with a HBB - see why you don't want to use the belt guides? It would pull the shoulder straps up too high and too wide, and create slack when they just got ripped out of the belt guides in a crash anyway:

I don't think you're going to get a good fit with a HBB, honestly. I'd just use a backless. She's got a helmet, so a HBB wouldn't provide any extra SIP anyway, and she won't need the back since the seat is high enough to provide head restraint.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Ah! I see now. I am a visual person and couldn't quite figure out what people meant. I was curious about whether the strap would go around the seat or over the top. I think in this case, it might be ok either way. I guess I'll just have to try it and see what works.

Thanks everyone!

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

One other thought on the EBK - the armrests aren't fixed. They pivot up and down freely.

Maybe borrow it to see if the setup will work, but then pick up a booster with arms that will hold the harness down (Cosco High Rise might even work).

I didn't know that about the armrests. Thanks.

I really REALLY wouldn't put her in it without something. That kid would fly right underneath that belt in a short stop, not to mention in a crash. But if you boost her up, you're pulling her out of the frame of the sidecar.
    Even in a booster, she would still probably submarine under that. It's too reclined. As the motorcyle is not your only means of transport and is just for fun, I'd skip doing anything until she is bigger or you get a carseat for it.

ETA- this is gonna be a really odd suggestion and I doubt it's safe...

How close together can you bring those harness straps? Can you pass the lap belt behind/under her and then bring the shoulder straps down between her legs, for a 3 point harness? Not really safe I'm sure, but IMO probably safer than the set up you have now.

Even if you put her in a backless booster, I think I would prop something behind her to keep her more upright. As reclined as she is, she's gonna slide right under that lap belt. I think she's safer outgrowing the Scenera by height than using the belt alone. I guess RF the Scenera is out of the option?

ETA2- You can recline the FPSVD FF. And, uh, I'm pretty sure "no sidecars" is a rule of a car seat, so breaking a FF recline rule shouldn't be a worry
    I also worry about the extra weight of the helmet increasing the spinal load in a crash. I'm wondering if she wouldn't be safer completely unrestrained.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I would use a backless booster with an anti-submarine clip (so, um, PWSG), or a harnessed seat, or not put her in until she grows enough to fit the harness.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I don't think the shoulder straps are quite long enough to do the 3pt suggestion, although they can slide together. What would you use so to make her more upright? Unfortunately, there is no room to rf, because of the windshield. Oh well, this is all a moot point right now anyway, I don't even know if we'll be able to get the bike started next year or be able to afford plates and insurance. Just wanted to see what others would do.

I don't know, some kind of foam wedge pillow maybe. Or just make it a condition of sale- "Honey, if you want to take her in the motorcyle, we need to find the money for a PWSG. Non-negotiable."
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

maz

seat looks too reclined, no anti submarine protection.

I would love a PWSG and I do have a savings account with *almost* enough for one, but that account is supposed to help fund our Disney trip in May. I guess I really don't need to worry about it now, we'll see what the future brings.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

I am uncomfortable enough with the whole motorcycle idea, but to then use restraints against manufacturer's directions is even more discomfiting. I really think the best thing is to wait until she fits properly.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

So, I was in Target today and reading manuals (which of course got me odd looks but who cares, right?) and noted that the Safety 1st Summit says it can be reclined to match the recline of the vehicle seat to achieve a proper install. It looks like the top slots are about 1-1 1/2 inches shorter than the Nautilus's top slots, from putting my daughter in it; that would make them 17-17 1/2 ish? Comparable to our Radians, for sure, at least. I tried the recline and in the fully reclined position, it seemed as reclined as the Scenera in recline mode when I set them next to each other. The thing is a beast to install, but you might try it... It's somewhat cheaper than the PWSG and I bet you could find a discount on it somewhere...
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!