2005 Honda Odyssey side airbag question

U

Unregistered

i just bought a 2005 honda odyssey because my second child is due next month. i am confused about the airbag situation.
here is what the rear seats have...is this okay to have a carseat right next to? my dealer said that they can't disable them so i wanted to make sure that my 2.5 year old and my newborn will be safe being right beside the door, being that there is no real "middle" placement of their carseats. from what i have gathered in my own research it seems to be safe, but i want to make sure.thanks so much.

Three-Row Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensors

For 2005, all three rows of occupants are protected by Honda's new Three-Row Side Curtain Airbag with Rollover Sensor System, which is standard equipment on all Odyssey models - a first for the minivan segment. The side curtain airbags deploy from modules in the roof in the event of a sufficient side impact, providing a significant level of head protection in the window area. In the unlikely event of a rollover, a roll rate sensor, located underneath the front passenger seat, along with multiple G sensors determine the rate of roll and deploy the side curtain airbags accordingly.

Like the other airbag systems in the Odyssey, the side curtain system utilizes sensors located in the front of the vehicle to determine the most appropriate timing and rate of deployment of the airbags in the event of a rollover.
To provide the optimal level of protection for Odyssey occupants, extensive testing was performed to determine the most appropriate timing and rate of deployment in the unlikely event of a rollover. The system uses algorithms to continually evaluate the situation and determines whether a rollover is eminent. The system responds to many types of rollover "events" drivers could potentially encounter including the "curb trip rollover" which as its name suggests, results when one side of the vehicle hits a curb or like object; the "soil trip rollover" which can result when one side of the vehicles suddenly comes into contact with a different surface type, often involving a slight elevation change; and the "screw rollover." This type of rollover is usually the steepest and fastest of the rollovers whereby the vehicle comes upon a sharp angle such as an embankment. The roll rate sensor and multiple G sensors determine the "scenario" and calculate the angle of roll and the speed of the vehicle in order to deploy the airbags at the correct stage for optimum protection. In the case of a rollover, the side curtain airbags on both sides of the vehicle will deploy. However, in the event of a sufficient side impact that does not result in a rollover, only the airbags on the impacted side of the vehicle will deploy. The airbag maintains full inflation for approximately three seconds after inflation to allow for the increased time duration of a rollover accident.

ADS

lovinwaves

Totally safe for your children to be in any position in the back of the van. Those airbags are a huge plus :thumbsup:

If you have a carseat that allows tethering while rear-facing (Britax or Sunshine Kids) then the link in my siggie might be of help to you when installing your carseat rear-facing.

Congrats on your new van purchase, and welcome to the forum :) If you have any other carseat or van questions please don't hesistate to ask.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Yes, absolutely the airbags are a major safety feature for both you and your children. You can put your harnessed car seats wherever you choose (in the back seats, of course) and rest assured that the car's safety systems will provide extra protection in a crash.

Another reason to not move children out of five-point harnesses and into booster seats/adult seatbelts too soon: A child who is not mature enough for a a booster/seatbelt COULD be injured by a belt or airbag if he/she is out of position in a crash. Keep your kids in five-point harnesses until they are ready, physically and emotionally, for the responsibility of a booster seat.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions! There is a wealth of information here!

U

Unregistered

I know this is an old post, but I stumbled on it today. Last week, we were in an ugly car accident. A man hit the front driver corner of our 2007 Honda Odyssey. We were just leaving an intersection, and he was traveling probably 30-40 mph... The side three row curtain airbag deployed; as well as both front airbags, and the side airbag that shoots out to protect the driver's elbow. I was extremely impressed by the way the van handled the crash. The front is designed to crumble so the impact doesn't get to the passengers.

So, my 21 month old daughter was in her Britax car seat on the drivers side, 2nd row. The curtain deployed, and there was obviously plenty of room. She didn't receive a scratch. I was always nervous about this too. I hope this gives you some comfort in knowing that your children should be safe.

We are still waiting for confirmation if it is totaled or not. I can't wait to get a new Odyssey. We are stuck with a Dodge Grand Caravan (2012) rental, and I do NOT feel safe in it.

-Melissa

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC