Question infant in coccoro vs TFP vs marathon?

MaineRN

if you were going to skip the infant seat and go straight to a convertible, which would you choose?
coccoro, true fit premier or marathon?
pretend this is for RF only

i am leaning towards coccoro till 36" or 33lb, then TFP RF till 35lb then FF TFP.
i love the coccoro for travel (lightweight!!:thumbsup:) and think we will have our second child fairly soon after our first, so with the 7 yr expiration date the coccoro could get a couple "lives" out of it. we may even need two, depending on growth patterns of the first.
i also love the pics i've seen and think infants look very comfortable in the coccoro. i havent seen any pictures of infants in the TFP or the MA yet. ((hint hint)) ;)
i dont know if i'm able to justify another $199 to my DH for the coccoro when the TFP and MA meet the same statistical 5lb and up ratings. maybe i am just getting too obsessed with carseats and i need to get some straight talk from those who have been there and done that~ and PS i dont have a garage to start storing infinite seats!!! :p

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
The Marathon won't fit most newborns, because its bottom harness slots are too high for most newborns, so I'd rule that out.

I think the Coccoro is adorable, and if you think you'll want to pass it down later, it might be a great seat to start with, and then look at a taller seat like the TFP or one with a 40 pound rear-facing limit like the Radians.

Personally, of the 3 seats, I think I'd go with the TFP for a newborn if I wasn't doing an infant seat. Without the shell, it'll be comparable to a compact convertible like a Coccoro, but it will still have the benefit of the tall shell if needed. I like the advantage of at least having the option of using the convertible longer if needed.

The Radians have infant inserts available, and I might check out those as well if I wasn't using an infant seat.

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not hypothetical here. I have a TFP awaiting my newborn. They fit great in it. And for less money you get a lot more seat than a Coccoro. I'm getting an Avenue for a travel seat for her.

Marathons and other Britax convertibles don't fit newborns well. I'm sure a search here will turn up pictures.

The Coccoro fits newborns well, but I wouldn't spend the money on it if you're going to buy a TFP for the last two pounds anyway, since the TFP fits newborns well.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC