Question Do I turn him now?

jb5416

My 30 month-old son weighed in at 33 lbs at the emergency room :( a few nights ago. This was with pajamas, a dry diaper, and no shoes. He's currently RF in a TF. How close to the 35 lb limit should I go?

Unfortunately he is too tall (40 inches) for a Complete Air, Radian XT, or MyRide, or I would consider buying him another seat to let him rf longer. And, yes, I did try him in the XT and MyRide..... :)

Thanks,
Jessie

ADS

Splash

A 35 pound limit means that, 35 pounds. Not 33 or 34, but 35. So he's fine until he's 35 pounds and I would not flip him a minute before.

Last edited:

Raegansmom4

According to the manual of the CA, 40 inches is the limit for rf, so she would be following rec of manual! People here are making the choice to ignore that for the 1 inch rule.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd wait to 35 pounds.

The Radian may be used until there's 1" of hard shell above the head, or 40 pounds. The CA allows the head to be even with the top of the headrest or 40 pounds. Either will get 99.5% of kids to 40 pounds.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
According to the manual of the CA, 40 inches is the limit for rf, so she would be following rec of manual! People here are making the choice to ignore that for the 1 inch rule.

Because we do for all seats. I don't think I've seen the people advocating that you stop using the CA at 40 inches telling parents to take their 26.5" children out of their Snugrides. Or 29.5" or whatever a half inch over the listed height is.

Besides, the CA specifically also says you can use it rear facing until the head is even with the top of the headrest.

Many other seats don't list a height, just the 1" from the top of the shell.

Wendy

jb5416

Thanks, all. I don't feel comfortable with going against the manual for the CA--that's why I'm not considering it. In the Radian he has less than 2 inches of shell above his head--not worth it for an investment of that size. He has less than an inch in the MR. He's a very, very tall little boy.
Jessie

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Less than 2 inches could be what, another year of torso growth at his age? Might be worth it, my kids have tended to slow down in weight gain about 2 1/2 years...

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I think you are mis-interpreting how much 2 inches of shell/torso height is in terms of growth vs time at 2.5 years old. It's probably a year, maybe more, and all but guaranteed to be 6 months, which would get your 2 year old to at least age 3.
The complete air is uber tall, and for a kid that big and tall at only 2 years old, I'd seriously consider it, even though dorel moronically failed to update their height guideline when they made an awesome, uber-tall new seat.
but...he still has 2 pounds left in his current seat. like splash said, 35 means 35..I knwo some peope do crazy stuff like weigh their child every day once they get close, but it's really not necesatry. A weekly weighing is probably sufficient.
And..kids plateau sometimes. My dd held at 34 lbs for a good 9 months....

jb5416

He has less than 2 full inches of shell above his head in the Radian. That's one more inch of torso growth, right? If I'm wrong about that I'd be glad. Check out the thread in the Car Seats section that is entitled "ERF 3.5 year-old--which seat???". Elijah has a little less room over his head than that adorable little fellow in the pink seat. I'm telling you--he's really tall.

Honestly, I don't think the CA is an option. I really don't want to go against the manual, and, having seen the seat in person several times, I think it is the biggest piece of crap that ever sold for $250.

Jessie

BeckC

If he has 2 inches of room above his head in the Radian, then yes, he has about another inch of torso growth. The thing is though, an inch of torso growth will buy you about another year to RF.

The thing with the CA's 40" rule is that ALL seats have a max total height rule, it's required by the government. Total height limit is ignored for all seats in favor of the 1 inch rule, not just the CA.

jb5416

I never saw that for the True Fit. Does it have a RF height limit in inches that I am missing? I know there's a limit for how far from the top of the shell his head must be, but he's way under that in the TF. I am very leery about going against manufacturer instructions.
Jessie

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think most seats have a listed limit other than the 1" rule. I didn't see a measurement in my TFP manual, nor do I think I've seen one in the Britax manuals.

If you don't like the CA then don't get it. Can't argue with hating a seat. :) Some just don't mesh well with certain people. That's why there are a million and one seats out there to choose from.

Wendy

jb5416

Honestly, it's not just that I don't like it. That 40-inch rule makes me nervous. If not for that I probably would suck it up and buy the p.o.c.
Jessie

Spam

You've made it 2.5yrs, that's great! A few months ago they weren't any 40lb seats out there, and you'd turn him at 35. I would continue to use the TF until he reaches 35lbs and then turn him, if you want to turn him now, that's your choice. You have all the information and can make an informed decision, the rest is up to you.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Why does it make you nervous? The physical reasons for not being too tall rear facing are for fear of ramping up and over the top of the shell. That can lead to whiplash. That's the reason. So provided the head will be contained in the shell (and S1st has tested it to the top of the headrest, apparently) there's no risk of "too tall" problems.

This is why we say it's irrelevant for the height. If your child has a long torso they will outgrow a seat possibly BEFORE a listed height. That's why they make me nervous. Weight doesn't matter, if you have a 30 pound head the harness and shell still need to catch it. But if you have a long torsoed 40 inch kid whose head is over the top, then that's dangerous.

Wendy

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I never saw that for the True Fit. Does it have a RF height limit in inches that I am missing? I know there's a limit for how far from the top of the shell his head must be, but he's way under that in the TF. I am very leery about going against manufacturer instructions.
Jessie

The TF RF sections states "head is 1 inch below top of seat". The FF limit is stated in the FF section as 50". Then, near the end in a "Warning Death or Serious Injury can occur" section it is implied that 50" is the overall height for the seat.

jb5416

Well, then he is clearly under the height limit for the TF at 40 inches with 3-4 inches above his head.

Wendy, I just don't like going against manufacturer instructions when it comes to something as important as a car seat. Call me a nervous nelly, I don't care :).
Jessie

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's fine. Then just make sure you don't let the head get too close to the top of the shell, if that happens first. Because that IS more dangerous than going to 40", even if the carseat says 40" is the max.

Honestly, though, I don't know of a kid who could do that in a True Fit or Complete Air. I just put Piper in her sister's TFP two days ago and at nearly seven years and a month she's just at the 1" mark for rear facing (and seven pounds too heavy). She had well over an inch above her head in the Complete Air (and two pounds too heavy). So I don't know what kid could get above the shell. Just keep it in mind for any and all seats rear facing.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC