E-Z-On Vest expert needed ASAP!!!!

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Help! E-z-on vests are not my strength because I deal with them so infrequently.
I just called Ez on and they told me something that I'm not sure is true.

Okay, here's the background:

It's an 80lb child. The car is a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. LATCH manual says there is one tether anchor in the rear, center position.

To put this child in a vest, the car needs a heavy-duty tether anchor right? The lady at EZOn said it's product 100TC and it can hook directly onto the existing tether anchor with no install needed.
Well, when I look at the online instructions for "100TC", it appears there is a bit drilling/sealing that has to take place to change the existing tether anchor to a heavy duty one. Is that correct?

If so, is this going to be easy to do in a parking lot?

And just by chance, if this doesn't work, does anyone know if a Roosevelt fits using the long belt path in a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis?
Last time I installed a Roosevelt in a Mercury SUV, the seatbelt wasn't long enough!
Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADS

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Do you remember who you talked to at EZ-ON? It wasn't Yvonne, was it?

In my experience with the vests, you will always need to install that heavy-duty anchor, which yes, does require drilling and sealing by a mechanic/dealer (whoever you can find willing and able to do it, really). It really isn't something you would be able to do yourself, unless you are extremely knowledgeable about cars and are comfortable using a large bore drill to cut into someone's car.

That said, I've never worked with the 100TC specifically, it's always been either the 103Z or the 203. What exactly is the 100TC, I'm having trouble locating it on their site?

No idea about the Roosevelt, I've never worked with one.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
You know what, now that I think about it, whoever you spoke to is technically right, although perhaps a bit shortsighted. You CAN install an EZ-On vest using the regular tether anchor for passengers UP TO 80 pounds. After that, they need the heavy-duty anchor from EZ-On.

From the EZ-On website:
Check your vehicle manual for tether location and weight limits to use the E-Z-ON Tether Mount. Unless noted, vehicle anchors can secure the E-Z-ON Tether Mount with passengers weighing 20-80 lbs. Locate your vehicle anchor. ‘99 vehicle models and newer have factory installed tether anchors.

When your passenger exceeds your tether anchor weight limit, it is necessary to replace the factory installed tether anchor with your E-Z-ON hardware kit included. This kit is also for vehicles without a factory installed tether anchor. This secures passengers up to 168 lbs.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
If there's already a tether anchor in the seating location, you should just need to replace the old one with the EZ-On heavy-duty TA. You'll need some tools, but it shouldn't be too tricky, and it shouldn't involve drilling.

The only thing you'll need to be prepared for is that in some vehicles the old TA bolt is narrower than the one for the HDTA. In that case, you will need to drill it out a bit larger. I think those are only much older vehicles than what you're working with, though.

I would have the parents do it, if at all possible.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
If there's already a tether anchor in the seating location, you should just need to replace the old one with the EZ-On heavy-duty TA. You'll need some tools, but it shouldn't be too tricky, and it shouldn't involve drilling.

The only thing you'll need to be prepared for is that in some vehicles the old TA bolt is narrower than the one for the HDTA. In that case, you will need to drill it out a bit larger. I think those are only much older vehicles than what you're working with, though.

I would have the parents do it, if at all possible.

I have yet to find a vehicle that the heavy duty anchor fit through the existing hole. It such a frustrating problem. And yes, I would never undertake drilling and securing the thing myself. I always encourage the parents to go to their dealer first (who unfortunately usually refuses to do it), and then if that fails, to find a good, willing mechanic to put it in for them. We have located only two in our entire area willing to put them in. Most are afraid of the potential liability involved.

Defrost, in your experience, are the TA holes in newer vehicles usually big enough? I work with low income families with special needs kids, and I think the newest vehicle I've ever installed a vest in was a 2002/2003. Most of them are much older and don't have TA's at all, which is when the issue of finding an appropriate place to drill the hole becomes a big issue.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Hmm, yeah I had a feeling about the short-sighted thing. 80lbs is the max for this car...I just didn't know if there was some special exception that I wasn't aware of.
Somehow I just think the EZTether offered by the Roosevelt might be easier for this family since I know they won't follow-up.
SUCH A PAIN!!!!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Hmm, yeah I had a feeling about the short-sighted thing. 80lbs is the max for this car...I just didn't know if there was some special exception that I wasn't aware of.
Somehow I just think the EZTether offered by the Roosevelt might be easier for this family since I know they won't follow-up.
SUCH A PAIN!!!!

I think you have a pretty decent shot at the Roosevelt LBP. The Marquis is pretty similar to a Continental and I know it works in there. Either way, you can always do SBP and double tether. The LATCH manual must be wrong if it is telling you the car only has 1 anchor, since a 2005 has 2 LATCH positions.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Defrost, in your experience, are the TA holes in newer vehicles usually big enough?

Actually, I don't have much hands-on experience with it; I'm not a SN tech, I'm just really well read when it comes to the 86Y. I've had one friend who installed the HDTAs herself in her vehicle, and then my own personal quest to have them installed in my van (never got it done, found another solution.)

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Yeah, that 1 top tether thing with 2 LATCH positions seemed a little funky, but of course I didn't even think it might be a typo! lol

Good to know the Roosevelt would probably work if the vest thing doesn't work!
Thanks all!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC