Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beco a torture device??

People put their infant seats on top of shopping carts. They leave 10 inches of slack in a car seat harness. They let their kids ride bikes without helmets and no one seems to bat an eyelash.
    But, I guess seeing a 14 pound 2 month old frog legged in a Beco is quite alarming!

To everyone at Target - Her legs are supposed to be like that for now.
    And to everyone at the baseball game - No it doesn't hurt her. Can't you see she is seeping like a rock?

LOL, I really did appreciate the concern everyone showed for the safety of my DD though. I wish more people would speak up more often!

And P.S. the Beco was super uncomfortable at first and I hated it. I almost traded it within the first two days. But, I kept using it and looked up some "tips & tricks" and I'm really starting to fall in love with it. I haven't used my Babyhawk in 3 weeks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Beco a torture device??

LOL I love how everyone is an expert as soon as you take baby out the door. What is it about kids' legs, anyway, that people are ALWAYS so concerned about them, whether in carseats or carriers or whatever?!
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Senior Community Member

So glad you are loving it now!

I know that mine is getting better and better everyday. I have found the love.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

I just got an ergo sport last week and it's ok. My friend is thinking of selling her barely used beco to me (even though DH would kill me). She brought it over this morning and is letting me use it for a couple of days to see how I like it. Well I think I'm in love. I find it so much easier to use and it's less bulky than my ergo. Gavin seems to like it better too. Now how do I get this past DH?

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

Senior Community Member seamonkeys's Avatar

Yeah, that's funny. What about how poor babies look facing out in the Bjorn? I'll admit I used one with DS1 for about 10-11 mths. But when I see somebody using one facing out now, I feel so bad for the baby!

But now I'm wishing I could afford a Pikkolo because of Zactayaus' thread!!! DD likes facing out, but can't really do that in the Ergo.

Quote Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
    Now how do I get this past DH?
    Sell the Ergo That's one nice thing about carriers, they hold their value well. On a side note, I'm glad your finding on that you love!

And to the OP, yeah I totally feel your pain about people. I had K on my back at the street fair and she was sleeping, someone came up to me and said "oh no, look at that poor baby!!" And she grabbed her head (which was covered by the hood) like it was going to fall off or something. Yep, then we had one very very startled and screaming baby and one really mad mama.
    DD: 3/08, 47 lbs riding FF in a Nauti and Maestro
    DD2: 11/10, 27 lbs riding RF in a Britax MA and Diono Radian

Quote Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
    I just got an ergo sport last week and it's ok. My friend is thinking of selling her barely used beco to me (even though DH would kill me). She brought it over this morning and is letting me use it for a couple of days to see how I like it. Well I think I'm in love. I find it so much easier to use and it's less bulky than my ergo. Gavin seems to like it better too. Now how do I get this past DH?
    Easy. Put your Ergo Sport in swap. It'll be gone in no time.

Yes, I am enabling.

Just like the mom here "helped" me by showing me the Pikkolo.
    Jacky, CPST and mom to Kenzie(5) and Maverick(3) Riding in a Frontier, Marathon 70 and Radian, Safety 1st Store N Go and Evenflo Right Fit

Carseat Crazy

I have been looking for an Ergo

Does anyone have IRL pics of the Pikkolo? It looks pretty cool.
    Diana, Mommy To:
    Kolin [5.5.04]-Ava [12.13.05]-Aden [2.18.09]

Quote Originally Posted by cpsaddict View Post
    Easy. Put your Ergo Sport in swap. It'll be gone in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calideedle View Post

You guys are too funny.

Let me use the beco for a couple more days and I'll let you know if it will be up for grabs. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 2lilmonkeys View Post
    But now I'm wishing I could afford a Pikkolo because of Zactayaus' thread!!! DD likes facing out, but can't really do that in the Ergo.

Oh sure blame it all on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Calideedle View Post

Does anyone have IRL pics of the Pikkolo? It looks pretty cool.
    I keep looking at the pics on the web of the Pikkolo, which are pretty good. But I'd like to see somebody wearing it on the back with straps just around the arms, not crossing in the front. I have the organic Ergo, so maybe I wouldn't cost me that much to upgrade.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by 2lilmonkeys View Post
    I keep looking at the pics on the web of the Pikkolo, which are pretty good. But I'd like to see somebody wearing it on the back with straps just around the arms, not crossing in the front. I have the organic Ergo, so maybe I wouldn't cost me that much to upgrade.
    Yes! I think cpsaddict should chime in since she has one.
    Diana, Mommy To:

I have a Pikkolo (sp??). I it!! I had a Bjorn at first and it killed my shoulders and back when DS was 15 lbs... at 3 months!

I don't have any pics with it on, but I'll try and do it and post them for you tonight. It's actually not that bad to get him on my back. Definitely a practice near a bed thing to start... but then it's pretty good.

Wendy
    Mama to DS 01/09 23 lbs 33" rfing 2010 Radian Premier
    A new addition coming 08/10!

Quote Originally Posted by ontariomama View Post
    I have a Pikkolo (sp??). I it!! I had a Bjorn at first and it killed my shoulders and back when DS was 15 lbs... at 3 months!

I don't have any pics with it on, but I'll try and do it and post them for you tonight. It's actually not that bad to get him on my back. Definitely a practice near a bed thing to start... but then it's pretty good.
    Yes, please do!! Yeah, I'm not concerned about getting on my back (I bought one when DS2 was 6 mths). I mainly just want to make sure that you can wear the straps like you do with the Ergo. They only show pics from the back and talk about crossing the straps across your chest - OUCH - that doesn't sound comfy!

Will do! And I don't wear it with the straps crossed over my chest... I am definitely Not small in that area, and that would not do

I'll try to post them after DS is in bed (in about an hour or so)

Wendy

I wore the beco tonight at dd's soccer practice. Someone came up to me and said "awww how old is your baby?'. I said he just turned 4 months. She said 'oh, wow, he likes that thing?' (meaning the beco). I was like 'yeah' he loves it. I mean duh he's sound asleep doesn't it look like he likes it.

Ok, here goes These aren't the greatest pics. They're hard to take by yourself

If you need better ones, I'll be out tomorrow using the Pikkolo and can get a friend to take some more pics.

The last pic is of a strap that I got with my Pikkolo to help support while wearing a back carry. It's like what are on heavy duty backpacks. You slide it on the straps and adjust for yourself. If I'm not making any sense, please let me know!

HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wendy

I can take some, too. I have not worn it on my back, but I crossed the straps for a front carry and didn't like that at all, so I use the chest strap, like an Ergo, and it's awesome! Crossing the straps in back seemed to pll down on my shoulders and I tweaked my neck. I love carrying her facing out, but she falls asleep facing me, so if we are out during nap time, I turn her around. I am going to try the hip carry tonight, too. So far, I adore my Pikkolo. I also like that it fits in my diaper bag, since it has an unstructured waist.
    Jacky, CPST and mom to Kenzie(5) and Maverick(3) Riding in a Frontier, Marathon 70 and Radian, Safety 1st Store N Go and Evenflo Right Fit

Quote Originally Posted by ontariomama View Post
    Ok, here goes These aren't the greatest pics. They're hard to take by yourself

If you need better ones, I'll be out tomorrow using the Pikkolo and can get a friend to take some more pics.

The last pic is of a strap that I got with my Pikkolo to help support while wearing a back carry. It's like what are on heavy duty backpacks. You slide it on the straps and adjust for yourself. If I'm not making any sense, please let me know!

HTH
    Wendy, thanks for the pics! I didn't have time to post when I looked the 1st time. It looks like it's sitting high on your waist. Is that how it's supposed to sit, or just comfortable for you that way?

Quote Originally Posted by cpsaddict View Post
    I can take some, too. I have not worn it on my back, but I crossed the straps for a front carry and didn't like that at all, so I use the chest strap, like an Ergo, and it's awesome! Crossing the straps in back seemed to pll down on my shoulders and I tweaked my neck. I love carrying her facing out, but she falls asleep facing me, so if we are out during nap time, I turn her around. I am going to try the hip carry tonight, too. So far, I adore my Pikkolo. I also like that it fits in my diaper bag, since it has an unstructured waist.
    Really? I was hoping it would be more comfortable doing the cross straps in the back. Mmmmm. So hard to decide whether to switch to this from my Ergo.

Carseat Crazy

Is there a *hip* strap for just the high waist strap like in Wendys 2nd pic? I think the strap so high wouldn't be cozy.

ETA: Ignore my post, just saw the post above with the same question. lol
    Diana, Mommy To: