Question Feasibility of 2009 Jeep WRANGLER

shepswife

Hi everyone - I'm new to the boards and have been reviewing posts regarding issues related to car seats and 2DR Jeep Wranglers. I'm currently at a crossroads, from both a car and a family perspective. I'm looking at purchasing a new car in the next few months and really love the 2DR Wrangler. I have owned one in the past (1999), so have good knowledge on the vehicle overall, and quite honestly, I truly miss my jeep. However, my husband and I will likely be trying to have our first child in the next year or two. So, I'd like others' opinions on logistics of the jeep purchase, both pros and cons. I'm starting to feel discouraged that I will have to give up the idea of having my jeep again. :(

Possibly useful information- my car will most likely be the primary once we have children, or at least 50-50. My husband drives a large 4DR truck.

Also, one thing that I have consistently read on the boards is that putting a RF carseat in the back seat comprises all legroom for the front passenger. Anyone find a carseat that does not require the passenger seat to be pushed all the way into the dash?

Thanks for any input!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Good for you for thinking ahead. :thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with installing seats in this vehicle, but looking at pics online, is this what you're looking at? That's what the back seats look like?

I don't think you'll have too much trouble, if any with carseats, at least not at first. A rear-facing seat can usually fit just fine in the center and leave the front passengers with enough room. That's usually only a problem in extremely small vehicles, with very tall adults, or when the adults insist on reclining their seats too much.

Now, getting a child into a rear-facing seat in a 2-door vehicle is rarely convenient. I'm not sure if you're aware of the new guidelines, but it is now recommended that children remain rear-facing as long as possible, up to 4 years of age or longer if they are still under the weight limits for their car seat. So I think the only suggestion I'd make is to look into a 4-door version instead of a 2-door.

shepswife

Thanks for your input! Well, the first picture they show on the link you posted is the 2DR but the interior photo is actually the 4DR. So, the 2DR doesn't really have a middle seat. The issue that you raise about the complicated logistics of placing a larger/older child in the back of the 2DR is consistent with what I was imagining. I was kind of wondering how jeep owners navigate that (without throwing their back out!). :D If there is a helpful trick, I'd love to hear it.

skipspin

I have a 4-door, and honestly, if it's going to be your primary vehicle for one kid you're going to really like having that back door. For two kids, you will die a slow painful death knowing you chose a 2 door when you could have had a 4 door. :) Just sayin. (We had a two door TJ until after I had #3 and I loved it, but only drove it when I had the soft top off since it was so hard to get a rfing baby buckled with another seat in the back.)

That said, I think some infant seats, most convertibles, and virtually any FFing seat will install well in the back seat. It's more the access you will have a problem with than the installation. I know the Coccoro will fit RFing with lots of room for sure, but I know it's not the only option.

Oh, and my hubby has a large 4 door truck too, but the 4 door Jeep is still easier since it's not as high as his diesel crew-cab.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Defrost said it well, while it's certainly possible, getting a RFing child in and out of a 2-door is certainly more of a pain than a four door. And it's best to rearface as long as possible, or a bare minmimum of 2 years, with the preference being as close to 4 as possible. that a lot of years of back strain in a 2-door!!:D

the only other thing I would is that the Jeep Wranglers get REALLY bad side impact crash safety ratings. I will totally admit that prior to have my kids, I gave no thought to safety in my vehicles, but now, i use the safety ratings as a very important part of my car-buying decision-making process.
both models get a "good" frontal rating, but the 2 door gets a "poor"(the worst) rating, and the 4-door gets a "marginal" (the second worst) rating for side impacts, which are the most deadly type of impacts. I personally would not consider buying a new vehicle, and spending all that money, on a vehicle that would not keep myself and my kids safe in a crash. That's my personal decision.
Here is a link to the IIHS crash testing...
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Mommy2Marcus

I just wanted to add that I would deffinatly go for a 4 door if you can. I own a tiny little 2 door car & have my almost 3 year old DS RF in this car. It is a BIG huge PITA alot of days. However I have found that it is not that much easier with him FF. IF you do wind up with a 2 door, the best way I have found to get him in & buckled is to climb into the back seat & sit next to him to buckle him. He now climbs into his own seat, so this makes life ALOT easier, but I have him outboard so I can sit down next to him & then buckle him easier!

Peony

Dying a slow and painful death is just about right when buckling a child RFing in a 2 door Jeep. DH had a 2 door Jeep until this year when we had #3, it was not our primary car, thank god. I drove it once in a while back when we had just one child.

Open door, pull seat forward and fold, lift child up in the Jeep, climb in the backseat after child, buckle child, climb out of backseat, move the seat back, and THEN finally go around and get in the driver's side so we could actually drive somewhere! Whew, I'm tired just typing that and actually living it was much worse!

If you are set on a Jeep then you really, really will want the 4 door.

APT

The 2-DR has a tiny back seat. Getting RF child seats installed there is problematic. The 4-dr has a marginally better rear seat, but infinitely more cargo space and infinitely easier access with thew rear doors. If you really want a Wrangler, get the 4dr and you can make it work for 1 kid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC