Evenflo chase goes to 40 pounds? When to stop using it?

Logan was just weighed today and is 38 pounds. :love: When do I stop using the chase? It is his only seat that goes to 40 pounds, the others go higher.

Should I stop now?

*This seat is at my inlaws for about once to twice a month he goes there.

ADS

NannyMom

Now that he's gaining weight.... how often do you weigh him? Use it right up to 40 pounds.... but Since he just had a weight gain.... will he gain 2 pounds in 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months?

canadiangie

Stop using the harness when he's 40lbs.

It's like anything else. I wouldn't tell someone they had to stop using their infant seat at 20 lbs if it went to 22, and I don't think it makes any sense to stop using a 40lb seat at 38lbs.

In terms of how often you should weigh him, only you know how he typically grows. Maybe once a month you could weigh him if he's typically slow to put on weight. Or maybe more often... it's up to you. ;)

Maedze

40 pounds.

I just snagged a Chase at Target for dd to ride the bus with, and we (DH and I) had this very same discussion last night. I'm not going to be weighing and measuring dd compulsively to find out if she is 40.0 every morning for the school year. Why? Because the same darned seat is rated to 47 pounds a day trip above me. THe seat will always be used in a position with top tethers. Just not going to worry about it.

Splash

I'd stop using it when you realize he's 40 or over. There is a grace period, it's not going to catastrophically fail at 41 pounds. It's understood that parents are not going to weight their kids hourly and most kids who still fit by height will probably exceed the weight by a few pounds. Personally, that's why i think weight limits are generally so over-inflated in comparison to harness height- most kids are going to be too tall before they hit the weight limit, it's a built in fail stop.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I agree with Splash. I personally think it's crazy to weigh our kids clothed AND with a full stomach. Typical clothing, sure, but really after they've eaten? Is a sandwich or oatmeal really going to make a car seat fail? Engineers build tolerances into EVERYTHING. I wouldn't purposely go over the weight, but I'm not going to weigh only after they've eaten.

I'd hazard a guess that many parents use the weight at doctor appointments which is naked or in undies, not even with clothing on. All of these parents have the potential to go over the weight with clothing and food.

Plus, if it was so important that the kid wasn't over with clothing and food, wouldn't it say that in the manual? It says the weight of the child, not the weight of the child with all clothing and food in their stomach. And most people consider weight to be naked weight. With height, we don't measure with shoes on, so how would anyone realize the kids needs clothing and a full stomach? If it's so important that they are wearing clothing and have eaten, it NEEDS to be in the manual. I realize the dummies are wearing clothing and shoes, but aren't the weights on the seats not equal to the dummy weights anyway (i.e. over or under)? And what typical parent would know a crash test dummy wears clothing?

Like I said though, I'm not advocating purposely going over the weight, but really, what average parent would know that it has to be with clothing and a meal?

That is good to know. He has tons of room left height wise. He is going to outgrow it by weight before height.
He just had a major growth spurt and after figuring out his milk intolerance was probally making him not gain weight he has gained now about 5 pounds in 2 months, which is crazy for him.
I guess I will just weight him when he is about to go over there to see if he is 40 pounds.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I guess I go with "it depends" on what would bring me more peace of mind. If I had a (physically and developmentally typical) 8yo in a Nautilus and she weighed in at 63#, sure, I'd go ahead and take the harness out, because it would be easier than wondering and waiting and worrying. If I had a 3.25yo in the same Nautilus at the same weight, darn sure I'd use it right up until 65.1#.

fyrfightermomma

Same here. WHen I notice one day my kid is 40 lbs, I'd stop using it. Most people have no clue what their kids weigh unless they are at the doctor nor do they weigh them at home. I can't think of one friend who knows what their kid weighs and the only parents at car seat checks who know are those who just had a doctor appointment.

In fact I have no clue what DD2 weighs. She got weighed at her 2 year well child check and not since. She'll get weighed again next month when she gets a flu shot. I really just don't care. One day she'll get weighed and she'll be 35 pounds and if I had a 35 lb seat I'd stop using it then. If she's over by a pound, I'm not gonna sweat it. Just turn her. I have no intention on weighing my child daily, let alone with a full belly, clothes, jacket, shoes etc each time we leave the house! LOL And I'm a tech! I can't imagine the average parent knowing what all their kids weigh day to day or weighing frequently. I only know DD1 for obvious reasons.

If a car seat magically failed at 1,2, or even 3 pounds over you'd hear about a whole lot more serious injuries from seats failing from children too heavy for them. But you just don't. And you can bet a lot of parents are over the weight limits especially in infant seats. But there just isn't a whole lot out there that this is happening frequently. If the seat failed at 41.0 pounds, it probably wouldn't be rated to 40 :) I never would intentionally use a seat over the limits, but if it happened cause I didn't weigh my kid that week, I wouldn't sweat it(especially when the identical seat is rated 7 pounds higher a 4 hour drive away from me) :)

But I'm also the person who isn't analyzing harness slots daily as well with a pencil in the slot taking pics asking if it should be moved up :) When I notice one day she looks a little over, I'll move it up. Not gonna sweat it. In fact she was in DH's car this week cause mine was in the shop and I noticed she was over the slot by about 1/2". I'm never in that car with her. I hadn't noticed she was even close prior. It didn't even concern me she was over a little bit. I just moved it on up. I just don't think seats are going to fail and injure my child if I'm a tiny bit over the height/weight limits. I'm with Splash that there is a built in cushion since 80% of America is using seats incorrectly and they know that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC