Last generation Taurus owners and 3 across

fyrfightermomma

The search feature isn't working well for me at all so please help me out.

My DH has the last generation Ford Taurus (2003). We will need 3 across come February. We are trying to think ahead to if we need to purchase another seat and if so which one. Money's tight, so I don't want to buy anything I don't have to.

Baby is going in a KF30 and that can't change as we already have seat/bases etc. DD2 is in a Radian XT right now in his car and DD1 is in a GN. I've only done the Radian outboard with LATCH and have no clue how the seatbelt or FF LATCH/seatbelt install is or if it even works. LATCH Is offcentered so all the installs will have to be with seatbelt so I guess it doesn't matter how the FF LATCH install of the Radian is cause I can't use it :)

So those of you who own this car, what 3 across combo has worked for you? The infant seat will be the KF30 and the others are what I'm trying to figure out. DD2 can be FF at that point. I don't mind. She will be almost 3 and probably 33 or so pounds and rarely rides in the car. I also need it to be somewhat easy to load/unload kids and would prefer the infant seat outboard

Help me out here :)

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
You can use LATCH in the middle and that's what we did. We had rfing AO outboard w/ seatbelt, ffing Radian in the middle w/ LATCH, and SS1 outboard w/ seatbelt. The Radian and AO fit next to each other both rfing as well. Ours was an 01 Taurus.

fyrfightermomma

Thanks! Good to know the Radian works in the center FFing with LATCH. I never tried anything other than outboard RFing LATCH cause that's all I ever needed to do.

So it sounds like I may need another seat though. I think the GN is about as wide as it gets :)

So I could do the KF, Radian FFing, and then something lower cost outboard that's narrow. Did the AO work FFing next to the Radian? I could snag one of those. I don't even think anyone around me sells the Cargo anymore cause that would be a good choice

munchkin

ffing Radian in the middle w/ LATCH

Thanks! Good to know the Radian works in the center FFing with LATCH. I never tried anything other than outboard RFing LATCH cause that's all I ever needed to do.

I was under the impression that although Ford allows borrowing of LATCh in the center of their vehicles, that the Radian only allows borrowing if the anchors are the standard width apart. I had to measure the anchors in my Focus and the middle is not the same width apart as the outboard, so I thought I couldn't use LATCh in the middle with a Radian.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. (Though I guess the Taurus could have standard spacing in the middle.)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Is your Taurus the sedan or wagon? Theres about a 6 inch difference in backseat width between the two because of the shape of the door panels.

fyrfightermomma

Is your Taurus the sedan or wagon? Theres about a 6 inch difference in backseat width between the two because of the shape of the door panels.

Sedan. Which ones bigger? So it looks like i just need a seat for dd1 since the GN won't fit with the other two. Now just gotta figure out what!

Pixels

I was under the impression that although Ford allows borrowing of LATCh in the center of their vehicles, that the Radian only allows borrowing if the anchors are the standard width apart. I had to measure the anchors in my Focus and the middle is not the same width apart as the outboard, so I thought I couldn't use LATCh in the middle with a Radian.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. (Though I guess the Taurus could have standard spacing in the middle.)

I believe the Taurus has three designated LATCH positions, you just can't use all three at the same time because they use the same lower anchors. But it's standardized spacing, hence the anchors for the outboard positions being off-center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC