For The Classic Car Seat Collectors

BabyGearCollector

Thought you might enjoy seeing these images from the 1969 and 1971 Montgomery Ward catalogs. Interesting to note that the Fall/Winter 1969 catalog (top image) still offered the old style *umbrella hook" car seat that fits over the bench seat back, whereas by Spring/Summer 1971 they were no longer available. That must have been the phase out period for the hooked, seat back attached style. Enjoy!!!:)

Aug09001-1.jpg

Aug09002-1.jpg

Aug09003-1.jpg

1971CarSeat.jpg

Dave

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
SO cool! My brother ('65 model) had one that hooked over the seat back. I'd love to find a pristine Strolee car seat and/or stroller. I loved them! LOL

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Wow, those are so interesting! I love seeing the wording too, and the features they highlighted, and the prices. $20 for a car seat! And of course, the brown vinyl, as always.

Thanks for sharing these!

BabyGearCollector

SO cool! My brother ('65 model) had one that hooked over the seat back. I'd love to find a pristine Strolee car seat and/or stroller. I loved them! LOL

There's a little, early '70s Strolee stroller on ebay right now. A bit fancier Strolees show up in VG used condition every-so-often.

Yes, I'd love to find a vintage 1970-ish Strolee seat myself!:)

Dave

Spam

My mom had the hook over the back seat one (1959).. I'll have to find a pic of her in it.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Interesting too, is the absence of any reference to age, height or weight limits for the seat, not to mention the shoulder straps that are at ear height and the lack of ANY harness on the first model.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
There's a little, early '70s Strolee stroller on ebay right now. A bit fancier Strolees show up in VG used condition every-so-often.

Yes, I'd love to find a vintage 1970-ish Strolee seat myself!:)

Dave

I want one w/the taller seat back and padded front bar ;) But thanks for the tip!

Dillipop

When I was growing up, we used E from the first picture at my grandma's dining room table. Was it really meant to be a car seat?

(I wonder if my aunt still has it laying around?)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I was born to older parents, in 1970. None of them car seats for me!

I was also born in 1970. I don't remember ever being in a car seat, but my mom recently said I was in an over-the-seat one like F. I do distinctly remember my twin sisters (born in 1971) riding in seats like #8. I wonder how long they used them, that I would actually remember, since I'm only 13 months older.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I was also born in 1970. I don't remember ever being in a car seat, but my mom recently said I was in an over-the-seat one like F. I do distinctly remember my twin sisters (born in 1971) riding in seats like #8. I wonder how long they used them, that I would actually remember, since I'm only 13 months older.

How could I learn to walk, if I was in a seat? Yes, I do mean in the car.

BabyGearCollector

More Wards...

I really need to get a couple Sears catalogs from this time period, too. Even Best Products Co. had a great selection of baby gear back then and put out a catalog.

When I was growing up, we used E from the first picture at my grandma's dining room table. Was it really meant to be a car seat?

(I wonder if my aunt still has it laying around?)

I'm thinking (but please don't quote me on this) they were more of a booster seat for home use, like at the dinner table. Or, could just be used as a little chair for a toddler. Cosco made the ones I've come across, and they seem to be quite popular with collectors on ebay. Ususally listed as "Eames Era Booster Seat". I never remember seeing one strapped or in any way used in a car, though I wouldn't doubt some people tried and did. Yikes!!!:eek:

The text for #8 says it's a Peterson seat. Didn't they later merge with, or were bought up by Cosco? A coworker of mine back in the '70s had one nearly identical to that for his little boy. Even into the early '80s you could see this type FS in almost any thrift shop. Wish I had picked up a few and stashed them away for future baby gear collecting activities.

Dave

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
D'oh! I used to read my 1972 Sears Catalog with terrific interest when I was a kid (had one for the birth year of everyone in the family, obviously MINE was most interesting :cool:)...now I wish I remembered looking at that section instead of just laughing at the Brady Bunch type clothing in the girls clothing section :D

Anyway, no crash tests till 1981, so why bother with those pesky straps if you didn't have to? :rolleyes:

My oldest brother had a hook on chair (he was born in 59) and the front seats didn't lock in the car, so my dad remembers him launching forward and out once in the parking lot when he slammed on the brakes :eek:

BabyGearCollector

I want one w/the taller seat back and padded front bar ;) But thanks for the tip!

Ahhh....I know which model you mean. I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm always doing searches by "vintage car seat", "vintage stroller", "vintage pram", and so forth. I'm sure it won't be too long before another one surfaces on ebay.

Dave

Northriver

These pictures are great! I too, was admiring the "SIP wings", lol!

My sister was born in '67 and I was born in '70. Whatever car seats my parents purchased needed seat belts. I know this because my dad has mentioned that they had to install seat belts in their Volkswagon Beetle in order to use the car seats. I'm thinking they had something more like infant bucket seats but I really have no idea what the seats were like.

BabyGearCollector

I think I need a tutoring on some of the common acronyms used which are related to car seats.:eek: You've got me scratching my head over what "SIP" could possibly mean. LOL

Dave

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC