Ugg...Graco front adjuster straps...

Raegansmom4

So I'm waiting on a label to return the MyRide b/c it's starting to fuzz on the right side of the adjuster. Got me to thinking I should really look at the adjuster on my GN - it is way worse. I feel bad for not paying attention to it. It almost looks like a run is forming. I emailed Graco to see if I could order a replacement adjuster strap (I don't think I can from what I found online) since I got one for my MA a couple years ago, but I haven't heard back. My GN has a May 08 DOM (purchased 10/08). What do I do if Graco won't do anything about the GN adjuster? I will have to use the MyRide refund to purchase a new seat for my oldest and put my youngest back in the MA (33 lb limit seat - she's about 28.5 lbs now). I would probably get another GN, but what about getting a higher rf seat for my youngest? Money is tight, so I don't anticipate being able to get a Radian before dd outgrows the MA rfing. What experiences do you have w/ Graco? Think they will fix/replace the GN? They very obviously need to examine the design of their adjusters!!!

ADS

Maedze

I think Graco will be extremely accomodating with you. My experience with Graco is nearly always an example of 'above and beyond' customer service.

However, I think the 'fraying' thing is being extremely overplayed at c-s.org, and being made to appear as a safety issue when I don't think it is.

Maggie

I agree Maedze.

My SS1 is very fuzzy. As is my Nautilus, Scenera and Marathon. It's feed through a piece of metal numerous times a day. A bit of fuzz is to be expected IMO.

I understand a serious snag or rip, but the peach fuzz that's often posted about here isn't a safety concern IMO. :twocents:

Raegansmom4

I was contemplating not returning the MyRide - I really, really love it, but shouldn't it be a concern when it's fuzzy after 2 weeks of use (and not every day use, and not loosening the harness every time, too?)? I don't want to make a big deal of it, but something must be up w/ their adjuster to chew up the straps like that. Granted, the strap on the MR is just really "fuzzy," but I'm seeing a run start on the GN. If I don't get an email back Monday, I plan to call them. I'm now more worried about the GN than the MyRide. I'm still debating keeping the MR...

NannyMom

On the GN, is it on the top of the strap, or on the sides? I'm not as concerned about the tops. I have found that happens if the strap is pulled up.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
However, I think the 'fraying' thing is being extremely overplayed at c-s.org, and being made to appear as a safety issue when I don't think it is.

I totally agree. A little fuzzing is normal wear. People expect their seats to never show any signs of use, but truth is covers stain and straps fuzz.

Raegansmom4

On my GN there is significant fuzzing on the right side/edge and the run is on the top of the strap on the right side. So what's the deal? Several people here have returned their MyRides for the problem I'm having, but now my circumstance is garnering a discussion on an "overpanic" that seems to be happening? How can you say fuzzing occurring w/ very minimal use (2 weeks of not everyday use and not always loosening the harness) is "normal wear and tear"?? My GN I see as wear and tear and pretty heavy use. The MR? No.

Raegansmom4

Ok...maybe I'm getting defensive. I am just so frustrated w/ my carseats right now. I so wanted to love the MR and not be one of the people w/ adjuster strap issues. I so love my GN but now feel like it's a tad unsafe and just don't get why Graco can't make the seat so I can just get a replacement adjuster strap (like I did w/ my MA) in the mail and install it myself. I'm not looking forward to the prospect of being w/o the seat for awhile until it comes back, especially if I send the MR back too and am waiting for the refund. I'll be w/o both primary seats for a couple weeks. Uggg...

NannyMom

On my GN there is significant fuzzing on the right side/edge and the run is on the top of the strap on the right side. So what's the deal? Several people here have returned their MyRides for the problem I'm having, but now my circumstance is garnering a discussion on an "overpanic" that seems to be happening? How can you say fuzzing occurring w/ very minimal use (2 weeks of not everyday use and not always loosening the harness) is "normal wear and tear"?? My GN I see as wear and tear and pretty heavy use. The MR? No.

I too wonder why all of a sudden people are saying it's over reaction. The CPST-I I work with saw mine and said it's almost unusable. If she (with much more experience than I have) would not use a seat, neither will I. I can't say if we're all over reacting or not. But I'd rather over react than under react (which I did with my SS1 and then learned it was horrible to use the seat with that much fraying).

The problems on the top of the strap I don't see much of a problem with. It's on the side that I don;t like. And I agree with you, if it happens after only 2 weeks, how on earth will it last 6 years.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think what happens is that a few fly under the radar... then when more and more people worry about fuzzing/fraying, and the pictures being posted don't seem to warrant the panic, the comments get made about there being too much concern placed on normal wear and tear. I don't think the comment was necessarily directed towards you in specific, rather made more generally because it's a topic that has been brought up a lot lately.

I have wear showing on the adjuster strap of my nautilus, but I'm not concerned about it. Truth be told, it IS the fraying and wear in the center of a strap that would concern me more than one on the edges because a true fray in the middle wouldn't just grow in one direction, it would grow towards both sides... The primary wear showing on dd's Nautilus is near the center, but I know it's just fuzzing and a bit of pulling vs. a fray that is affecting the integrity of the strap.

Here's a picture of what my MA adjuster strap looked like when I had it. I called and requested a replacement before the warranty expired so that I had it, because I didn't know how much it would worsen over time. It didn't really get much worse than this, and I never replaced the adjuster strap. The seat had seen less than 9 months of use at this point, and had been used both rf'ing and ff'ing.

12maymisc019.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/Diaperpin/12maymisc014.jpg

I should maybe take a picture of my Nautilus adjuster strap. It's fuzzing similar to how the bottom part of the first picture shows, but again, it certainly doesn't give me concern about the integrity of the strap.

Like I said though - the state that the MA adjuster strap was in didn't give me any concern about it's present safety. I really got the adjuster strap just because I didn't know how it would look 4yrs down the road. And it never did worsen beyond that point while I had it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This thread might provide some insight, too.

You'll get differing opinions, but I think it really depends on the location and severity of the frizz/fuzz.

I also think you'll find that many straps fuzz and first, but don't get worse over time (as in snowbird's above example).

Raegansmom4

So should I just keep the MR and hope the fuzzing doesn't get worse? I've just never seen a seat that shows wear like that after such little use. I know I'm not being unreasonable for wanting to get a refund for the MR - several on here have sent theirs back. As for the GN, I just want the strap replaced - not a whole new seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
So should I just keep the MR and hope the fuzzing doesn't get worse? I've just never seen a seat that shows wear like that after such little use. I know I'm not being unreasonable for wanting to get a refund for the MR - several on here have sent theirs back. As for the GN, I just want the strap replaced - not a whole new seat.

I don't think it's terribly uncommon for an adjuster to start fuzzing right away. Either it's going to happen or it won't.

I have a seat right now with fuzzing on the adjuster (I've been using the seat for about three months). Based on the placement of the fuzz right now, I'm not in any way concerned. However, I'm keeping an eye on it. If it gets significantly worse, or if at any point it becomes a safety issue, I will definitely pursue a replacement.

If you like the MyRide and want to keep it, I would. Keep an eye on the fuzzing, and reevaluate as you get closer to the end of your warranty. If it hasn't gotten worse by then, it probably won't. If it has, or if it's still bothering you, take the refund.

Dillipop

The fuzzing shown on pp's strap doesn't bother me. Most, if not all, of my seats have some fuzzing like that. The pics below bothered me and prompted me to immediately replace the adjuster strap of my husky. That was way more than fuzzing.

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The fuzzing shown on pp's strap doesn't bother me. Most, if not all, of my seats have some fuzzing like that. The pics below bothered me and prompted me to immediately replace the adjuster strap of my husky. That was way more than fuzzing.

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

See, this would concern me enough to get it replaced.

Maggie

Agreed. Something like Dillipop had is a concern. That's a major compromise in the strength of the belt.

A little fuzz? Nah. Heck my seatbelts are fuzzy. They're feed in and out daily and are not going to look brand new.

Raegansmom4

So where were all these comments of "oh don't worry about it" when about 5 or 6 other posters talked about sending back the MyRide? A lot of people responded that they should absolutely return it. So what's it going to be?? We need some consistency with advice on this. This will confuse people who read the earlier MR posts about send-it-back!, send-it-back! and then read this one that totally blows off the fact that a strap is fuzzing after 2 weeks of light use??

Maggie

I'm not quite sure what you're so upset about? :confused:

To ask that the board has one uniform opinion the matter would be silly. Everyone has different ideas. That's the great part about message boards. I've never posted on the "ZOMG my adjuster has peach fuzz" threads because, well, I just haven't.

However, after seeing so many of them I'm starting to realize that maybe more people need to speak up and say that really, it isn't a huge issue. People returning seats left and right for normal wear and tear on something that gets used so frequently is going to raise the price for everyone else.

I know I'm a bit more lax than some on this board with some issues, but really, I think 99% of the fuzzy adjustors I've seen are just fine. A run in the center? A rip or cut? Yes, that's a problem. Some fuzzing on the sides of a strap fed in and out frequently? Not a big deal IMO.

However, it's up to you. If it bothers you, then see what they'll do. I just want to let you know that, IMO, the fuzz on adjustor issue seems to be blow a bit out of proportion here.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think the problem is more that no one wants to be the one who says "Nah, that's fine, it's normal, it's safe," and then six months later when the OP posts again and says the strap tore off in her hand (or worse, failed in a crash) have to feel responsible for that. In this particular situation, we're all really supposing what might happen with future use (will it worse or stay the same?) and the truth is, that's very hard to say.

If you're concerned, you should contact the manufacturer - regardless of opinions here, it's each individual parent's decision to decide if they're comfortable with the condition of their child's car seat.

Maedze

So where were all these comments of "oh don't worry about it" when about 5 or 6 other posters talked about sending back the MyRide? A lot of people responded that they should absolutely return it. So what's it going to be?? We need some consistency with advice on this. This will confuse people who read the earlier MR posts about send-it-back!, send-it-back! and then read this one that totally blows off the fact that a strap is fuzzing after 2 weeks of light use??

I've been saying this all along. But it got tiresome popping in with "there's nothing to worry about" on every thread.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC