RF MA vs SS1

jheimes

I got a used (previous owner took good care of, no accidents, harness never washed, still had manual and stickers, etc) MA this last week with 3 yrs left on it. My DS had almost outgrown (about 1/2" left until hits 1" mark) his SS1 but still needed the MA in the lowest harness slots. Now I see what everybody means when they say the MA is not a good seat for newborns. My son has a long torso and is almost 30" tall at 13 mos. I can't imagine an averaged torsoed newborn in this seat.:eek:

ADS

NannyMom

Just wondering if the harness is threaded properly. I've often seen the cover moved on the seat (though it doesn;t seem that way). The bottom slots of the cover are lined up with the 2nd from bottom slots in the seat. Is that how your Marathon is?

My 8 month old is on the bottom slots of the MA, and has a ton of room (4+ inches) above her head in the SS1.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Ilana went straight to the 2nd set of slots in the MA when she outgrew her SS1. If I had them in the bottom slots it looked like she needed them b/c they pulled down so much on her shoulders. When I moved them up though, she was fine and her shoulders were right at the slots.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
The bottom slots of the cover are lined up with the 2nd from bottom slots in the seat. Is that how your Marathon is? .

Do you mean that is is or isn't supposed to be this way? I'll have to pull mine out tommorrow, but I'm pretty sure that mine are lined up so the 2nd from bottom slots of the cover are on the 2nd from bottom slots on the shell. I have never seen or heard anything to tell me it should be otherwise. I sure hope I have it right!

crunchierthanthou

Do you mean that is is or isn't supposed to be this way? I'll have to pull mine out tommorrow, but I'm pretty sure that mine are lined up so the 2nd from bottom slots of the cover are on the 2nd from bottom slots on the shell. I have never seen or heard anything to tell me it should be otherwise. I sure hope I have it right!

ideally it shouldn't be that way, but the Britax convertible covers often shift. that can make it hard to judge accurately which slot the child needs. You need to make sure you check against the shell, not the cover.

OP, my son was right at the second slots when I moved him to a MA at age 2.5.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
When my ds was using the top slots in the SS1 he was just slightly above the 2nd from bottom slots in the MA (and using the middle slots in the Radian.)

I agree with checking to make sure that the straps are through the same slots in both the cover and the shell, and that the height is being checked looking at the shell and not just where the cover is sitting. :)

NannyMom

It isn't supposed to be that way, but I often see it. When I was changing covers on my MA when I first got it, it happened. And I often see it on the display models at the store.

The bottom slots on the cover should line up with the bottom slots in the seat.

::er!ca::

My 14 month old is 31+ inches and still has a handwidth of shell above her head. About 4 inches total, 3 inches until it's outgrown. Your son's torso must be really long!

Here is Izzie (excuse the bed head, her hair is sticking up on top so she has more shell above her head than it looks)
DSC_0069-8.jpg

She's still on the 2nd slot of the SS1, see how far above her shoulders the top slot is.
DSC_0070-7.jpg

jheimes

DS still fits in his SS1. Okay this is weird . . . I brought in the SS1 to wash it last week and also measured how much growing room was left while it was inside uninstalled and only got about 1/4 to 1/2 inch until the 1 inch mark. So I thought he was almost outgrown it. Then when I put it back in the pickup the other day and put him in installed, he had more like an inch or more of grow room. I will go check the MA to make sure the holes are lining up with the shell. He is on the middle slots on the Radian and right at his shoulders.

NannyMom

DS still fits in his SS1. Okay this is weird . . . I brought in the SS1 to wash it last week and also measured how much growing room was left while it was inside uninstalled and only got about 1/4 to 1/2 inch until the 1 inch mark. So I thought he was almost outgrown it. Then when I put it back in the pickup the other day and put him in installed, he had more like an inch or more of grow room. I will go check the MA to make sure the holes are lining up with the shell. He is on the middle slots on the Radian and right at his shoulders.

On the Radian.... do you mean the middle of the 5 slots, so he's on the 3rd? Or the middle of the 3 slanted, RF only slots, so he's on the 2nd from the bottom?

Did you try him in the seat with him buckled and tightened? Sometimes that can change the amount of room. So can the angle the seat is at :)

jheimes

I checked the MA and the slots are lined up. He is about a 1/2" above the lowest slot in the MA. He is still in the middle slot on the SS1 bc the top slot is still slightly above his shoulders. I wasn't able to use the top slot with my daughter in the SS1 bc (she must have either had a long neck or a big head . . . her head was up) once she was big enough to need the top slot her heading was brushing the inside lip of the foam shell. So is the 1 inch supposed to be 1 inch below the indentation/lip on the SS1 correct?
And yes he is barely at the middle of the 5 on the radian. My almost 4 yr old needs the harness in the same slots on the Radian in RF mode.
Thanks for all the help. I called Britax about the lockoff and they sd I could try taking the one off the other side and try it out, if it slipped open easily also they could send me a replacment for about $15:eek: incld shipping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC