Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Thumbs down 02 Envoy, no center rear carseats?

Thsi just doesn't make sense to me. We took my grandmother out ot eat this week in her vehicle, so I moved our MA to her car. I got a decent install in the center, but I ended up moving her OB anyway.

I did check out the Envoys manual, it's got something really confusing in there. The wording makes me think you cannot put a carseat in the center rear position.

http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...-GMC-Envoy.pdf

p. 1-42 under, where to put the cr? reccommends a rear OB position. Under the warning it also says something about ALWAYS put a RF seat in a OB position due to airbags

This makes sense if you use LATCH, but it hasn't even mentioned LATCH at this point. It does have a top tether anchor for the center position though.

p.1-47 starts talking about LATCH on the left, but the right is instructions for a seat belt install. And the pic shows carseats in only OB positions.

p.1-50 is the kicker- It has a picture and says NOT to use CR's in the center rear position! If they don't read the manual they'd never see this!

WTH? Why would they do that? I understand that the belts won't work properly but we all know the center is the best spot...not to mention that you wouldn't be able to do 3 across. And it seems that no seat should be in the center, not just RFing seats.

Bella, 5yo 46lbs, FF in Nauti and XTSL
    Trace, 2/13, RF in KF30

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Re: 02 Envoy, no center rear carseats?

I believe this is something that GM has since revoked. They felt the centre position was too narrow to adequately hold a carseat. I believe GM's position now is that if the seat fits between the two sides of the centre seat belt, it's fine to put it there.

Hopefully someone will come in to confirm that for you.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Right, as long as you can achieve a proper seatbelt installation in the center, it's fine according to the LATCH manual because the center position has been tested per FMVSS with child restraints. I believe GM originally thought the spacing between the seatbelt buckle stalk/seatbelt anchorages for the center would be too narrow to allow a carseat installation at all. GM revised the owner's manual around the late '03 model year of the Envoy (and its other GM branded sibling models, like the Chevy Trailblazer/Blazer and Olds Bravada SUVs) to reflect it's allowable if you can get a correct installation in the center, and this is retroactive to earlier model years.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

CPS Technician

Thanks! We very rarely would have a need to put a carseat in her car anyway, but that shocked me. Plus as a tech, I should know these things. LOL

Bella, 5yo 46lbs, FF in Nauti and XTSL
    Trace, 2/13, RF in KF30