Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

TF/TFP Tightening harness- how tight is tight enough?

I've read that you should not be able to pinch any webbing between your thumb and forefinger. Are there any guidelines relating to how easy it can be to get your fingers/hand between the harness and the child?

I'm getting fed up with this TF harness adjuster, and I'm starting to think my idea of "tight" is just too tight. I never feel like I can pull it tight enough. But maybe it's fine. I'm sure I can't pinch any webbing, but it always seems too easy to slide my hand between the harness and the child's belly. I pull the slack out at the hips before tightening, so that's not the problem. But it also seems hard to buckle the kids in if we don't loosen it first, even using the continuous loop thing to move what slack there is.

Thanks!
    Holle

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: TF/TFP Tightening harness- how tight is tight enough?

Don't worry about getting your hand underneath the harness. No matter how tight the harness, it's usually pretty easy to put your hand under the harness on the child's abdomen.

If the harness is tight enough that you can't pinch a horizontal flap of harness at the shoulders, than it's tight enough.

Definitely don't worry about getting your hand in at the belly- the shoulders are what matter. It will be harder to get you hand in at the belly of a fatter kiddo than a skinny kid.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Here you go; pics and commentary on how to check for harness tightness:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=465536
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Here you go; pics and commentary on how to check for harness tightness:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=465536
    Thanks so much for that!! Now I'm pretty sure the issue is with me and not with the seat. I actually was not aware there was a "too tight." I'm sure my kids are going to be much more comfortable in their seats now!