What to do with a 48lb 5.5 year old

3plus2isme

So all our seats are rated to 48 lbs.. DS is a smidge under that (well some days he's a pound or 2 under lol) ...

I go back & forth about buying a new seat for him... but then think does a grade 1er really need a new seat? I had planned on harnessing him until at least 6 but looks like within the next month or so I need to figure out if I'm okay with a Parkway.. (and they need to come back into Canada so I can get one!)

Keep in mind that he's a REALLY mature kiddo and will listen 100% while in a booster... there's no doubt in my mind at all.

So would you personally put him in a booster if he's your kid or would you buy another 5pt?

ADS

Stacey

I'm have the same struggle with myself of sorts. We have a 48 lbs Radian and my 6 year old is JUST under 48 lbs. I did buy a Monterey for the short fishing trips with Daddy in his truck but planned on using the Radian for a while yet until I remembered the 48 lbs limit :( We are taking a very long road trip next week (20+ hr drive) and will keep him in the Radian for that but am strugging with what to do after.

How many people are pushing the weight limits on the Radian knowing they are really made for 65 lbs? He's still got a good inch or so til he reaches the slot.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
So all our seats are rated to 48 lbs.. DS is a smidge under that (well some days he's a pound or 2 under lol) ...

I go back & forth about buying a new seat for him... but then think does a grade 1er really need a new seat? I had planned on harnessing him until at least 6 but looks like within the next month or so I need to figure out if I'm okay with a Parkway.. (and they need to come back into Canada so I can get one!)

Keep in mind that he's a REALLY mature kiddo and will listen 100% while in a booster... there's no doubt in my mind at all.

So would you personally put him in a booster if he's your kid or would you buy another 5pt?

First off, based on your comments, I bet your son would do fine in a good high-back booster seat.

However, it sounds like you want to keep him harnessed.

You'll eventually want a convertible for the baby, right? Have you considered buying a Radian 65 to eventually use with the baby, and using it with your oldest until baby needs it? Then buy your oldest a good high-back booster when your baby needs the Radian. (Or, move your middle child into the Radian 65 and give the baby one of the middle child's Marathons that is only rated to 48 lbs.) That's what I'm doing with my kids, because it's much easier to get a 3-across in my cars with all harnessed seats rather than throwing a booster into the mix.

Last edited:

3plus2isme

I *do* want to keep him harnessed and he has no opinion either way... and you reminded me of another valid point.. one of our vehicles is a 07 civic so 3 across is important in there.

Ah, my husband doesn't understand how I can spend so much time on here "researching" LOL... I think we're going to head to the baby store tomorrow and decide from there. Ideally a radian 65 would be perfect because he has growing room in there torso-wise. But even if I used that with him and then handed it down to the babe I'd need to get her a new seat because it'd expire before she was out of it.. I think... It's late and my mind is trying to work out the DOMs ;) Plus, as frivilous as this sounds I want her to have a girly seat.. after 2 boys I need pink! :p

I was almost thinking a frontier.. but I don't know if I can get 3 across in the car (we have a f150 as well so no issues there...) Safeseat, radian (for younger ds) and a frontier.. hmm..

BookMama

Senior Community Member
But even if I used that with him and then handed it down to the babe I'd need to get her a new seat because it'd expire before she was out of it.. I think... It's late and my mind is trying to work out the DOMs ;) Plus, as frivilous as this sounds I want her to have a girly seat.. after 2 boys I need pink! :p

I know that the Radian has an 8 year lifespan in the U.S. - I believe it's the same in Canada (not 100% sure), so if you got one with a pretty recent DOM, it would expire when baby is 7.5. I do understand about the pink, but perhaps you could buy a new cover later?

3plus2isme

Ohhh.. 8 years??! Where have I been? LOL .. Man I wish both my radians were 65's because I'd be so set...

DH just gave me the "go ahead" to do what I thought was safest... I think he's tired of listening to me :whistle:

mommycat

You would most likely have the NEW RN65 to pass down before the old ones would expire, since DS1 would only need it so long. I would get the girly cover to replace the old one, and then you have a spare if baby is pukey, etc, too. In fact, I would probably get girly MA covers instead, get DS1 a ne RN, and pass the old RN to DS2 since it offers more room for height. Use the SafeSeat until DD is out of it and fits in the MAs.

"one of our vehicles is a 07 civic so 3 across is important in there.
I was almost thinking a frontier.. but I don't know if I can get 3 across in the car (we have a f150 as well so no issues there...) Safeseat, radian (for younger ds) and a frontier.. hmm.."
From personal experience, I think I can safely say, kiss the 3-across with the Frontier goodbye (as far as the Civic is concerned). I THINK I was able to do a 3 across with a MA and 2 Radians (though I had questions I have not yet settled). The hard bolsters onn the sides of the vehicle seat backs make it difficult/impossible to move the seats any closer to the doors, and the center seat is pretty narrow. I was not able to do 2 Radians with an AOE. I couldn't get my SS1(with base) sidebyside with the RN (though I didn't try super-hard). I tried any and all combos of all the seats in my siggy (except for the Otos) one night and the RN/MA mixes were the only ones that worked. The Scenera sort of did too, but it doesn't puzzle quite so nicely with the RNs as the MA does. Maybe someone more experienced with 3-across would have another answer, but I just couldn't make it work for me. Any combo of RNs and MAs would be doable, I think. I of course did not have the Monterey or Parkway to try out.

3plus2isme

Thanks for the ideas you guys...

We went and bought him a new Parkway for in DH's truck.. it's not going to be here until the 3rd week of September but I weighed him this morning and he was only 46.7lbs so maybe I'll just feed him lettuce for the next month :whistle: haha jk

We're going to buy a new radian that gets shipped in in 2 weeks and he'll use that in my car, DS2 will use another radian and then the baby (come January) will use the safeseat.. I know this combo will work because we've already tried it with our current seats. I'm just going to take it one year at a time for now and figure it out once the baby is out of the SS1 :rolleyes:

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the ideas you guys...

We went and bought him a new Parkway for in DH's truck.. it's not going to be here until the 3rd week of September but I weighed him this morning and he was only 46.7lbs so maybe I'll just feed him lettuce for the next month :whistle: haha jk

We're going to buy a new radian that gets shipped in in 2 weeks and he'll use that in my car, DS2 will use another radian and then the baby (come January) will use the safeseat.. I know this combo will work because we've already tried it with our current seats. I'm just going to take it one year at a time for now and figure it out once the baby is out of the SS1 :rolleyes:

Can I ask where you were able to pre-order? I've been waiting and waiting for the new PWs!!

Thanks
Natalie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC