Correction about 3in1 seats post December 2008

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Based on seats that I had seen in stores and the lack of the old 3in1's from that date that I'd come across, I had been under the impression that the old style 3in1 wasn't being made for the Canadian market.

I discovered yesterday though that it is indeed still being made with a 30lb rf'ing limit, 40lb ff'ing limit, and top headrest position unusable with the harness. The DOM on the display seat was March 2009 - registration card was still attached. I even pulled the manual out to check, and indeed, it's an old 30/40 seat. Unfortunately the back of the shell doesn't have the top headrest for booster use only warning anymore, but it's clearly still in the manual.

So just a heads up, that we can't use the blanket statement of telling a parent that if they get a newer seat then they'll have an updated 3in1, because that's not going to be the case. They'll need to check the stickers to confirm it's a 35lb rf'ing and 50lb ff'ing seat.

(Dang I was both annoyed and in disbelief when I saw that yesterday - if zeller's and walmart are carrying the new models, why oh why would they keep making the old 3in1's for a boutique store to carry? :thumbsdown:

ADS

canadiangie

I saw a brand spankin' new 3-in-1 not too long ago with a really recent DOM (like March as you said sounds somewhat familiar) in Costco. Old limits, no warning on the shell, and priced higher than some of the new models. I was hoping that it was one of the very last "old" ones made, but I guess not. Sounds like these little beauties aren't going anywhere. Just think, it's at least another 8 years before we stop seeing them. :rolleyes:

mommycat

Ugh, that's ridiculous. I hope they are just getting rid of old stock for covers, etc. :( But it seems so dumb, like you say, to keep making these if you have a better seat out.

shauburg

Unfortunately the back of the shell doesn't have the top headrest for booster use only warning anymore, but it's clearly still in the manual.

Oh no, that's terrible! Most people I know IRL have 3-in-1s and most of them do not know where their manual is anymore. The only way I can prove to them that the top position is not okay with the harness is to show them that message on the back of the seat. They really seem to want that proof, you know, because how could their 2-3 year old possibly have outgrown the harness on the "only seat they'll ever need"? :rolleyes:

Boo/hiss on Dorel for removing that warning!

mommycat

Would this sort of thing be required to be labeled ON the seat? It wouldn't by any chance qualify for a recall or at least a public notice or something? (which would give us something to show parents.) They really should add that back into the mould. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC