Nitpicky Hypothetical Cross-Border Standards Question.

Would you use an internationally mis-matched infant seat and base?

• Sure, I'd use the mis-matched base

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No, I would NOT use the mis-matched base

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Clicky box :)

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Okay, so we've established that you shouldn't use seats certified outside your country, even if the same seat is available in both places, nor should you use a seat to another country's specs.

Based on this argument - that the same model seat *could* be physically different on either side of the border - would you use an American base for a Canadian infant seat (or vise-versa,) assuming of course they are for the same model? (I'm picturing a scenario where you're going to visit the 'States with your Canadian seat, and an American base is available to you at the destination - I'm NOT talking about buying an American base to bring home to Canada.)

Of course there are other options available to using the mis-matched base, but I'm curious whether using it would give you pause...

ADS

Lea_Ontario

Yes, I would put a Canadian SnugRide on an American SnugRide base if the base was available at the place I was visiting in the US and I could not bring my own for whatever reason.

Obviously, only if the base was not expired, and was from a trustable source.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No, I'd install the seat w/o the base.

That was going to be exactly my response, so I'm quoting you instead. :p

I can't put my finger on it, my instinct is just no - most of the differences that we're told are there aren't possible to visually see, so I just wouldn't trust it to be the same. But I'm kind of paranoid that way. :eek:

vonfirmath

I would install the seat without the base or bring my own. I don't like question marks that I can easily avoid and this is easily avoidable for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC