Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Twisting Belt Stalk

We installed our True Fit rear-facing in our Infiniti EX (middle rear seat with shoulder/lap belt) tonight, and found that we had to twist the female end of the belt stalk 3 full turns to be able to close the lock-offs.
    I know that I've read on this site several times that twisting the stalk 3 turns is acceptable, but I just noticed a post that indicated some car manufacturers don't allow it.
    Does anyone know if Infiniti (Nissan) is one of those manufacturers? Otherwise, the seat will have to be moved to an outboard spot with LATCH.

Thanks for any input!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Re: Twisting Belt Stalk

The only one I know of that doesn't allow it is VW, and it's for their vehicles with cable stalks instead of webbed stalks (and that is the reason they don't allow it.)

Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows for sure if VW is the only one.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Here are a couple of pics that I've added, one of the belt stalk twists, and one of the seat angle. I know TF allows as little as 35 degrees - do you think this is okay? I know the red line indicator is way off, but I find it not very accurate anyway as it is WAY too reclined when I tried to level it. My little one is old enough for a more upright angle.

Here are the pics:
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...x/IMG_1305.jpg

Okay, only one photo link will work... but it has both the stalk and the seat angle.
    Last edited by carseatcurious; 08-21-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Link didn't work

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Both the buckle stalk and the recline angle look fine to me.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!