Booster recommendations for a REALLY big kid.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Local Public Health office is requesting help locating a booster seat for a kid who is 110 lbs, 6 years old, 4'4." He is obviously quite overweight and the
regular booster seats are too narrow for him.

Booster seats are not my forte. What would you suggest trying?

ADS

Maedze

Harmony backless at TRU for 19.99

Backless, obviously, is not ideal but it should fit his girth.

They could try a Monterey too, it's a high back, but not quite as wide and significantly more expensive.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yeah -- I don't love 6yos in backlesses, but he's certainly big enough.

Harmony backless.

I drove a child who is about the same height but 20 pounds lighter in my Monterey and she pretty much filled it up -- I don't think it would work well for a child his size.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Doesn't the Harmony max out at 110 pounds? This thing needs to last him another five inches or another couple birthdays in order to meet our 4'9" OR 8 years law in Minnesota.

I'm asking his Public Health Nurse/Case Manager if there is a plan in place for controlling/reducing his weight, but it sounds like there are multiple impediments at work for this family. Much dysfunction.

Is there any booster that supports a higher weight & is wide? Or would you ever advise continuing to use one beyond its weight limits?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Parkway suggests 120# but does not enforce an upper weight limit (but I don't think it would be a good fit on him), and the Monterey is rated to 120#.

Using a booster above the weight limit is technically misuse, and having a child that size in seatbelt only is misuse as well. Given that there are really no good choices, I would, without a doubt, go with using a backless booster above the stated limit.

Maedze

Doesn't the Harmony max out at 110 pounds? This thing needs to last him another five inches or another couple birthdays in order to meet our 4'9" OR 8 years law in Minnesota.

I'm asking his Public Health Nurse/Case Manager if there is a plan in place for controlling/reducing his weight, but it sounds like there are multiple impediments at work for this family. Much dysfunction.

Is there any booster that supports a higher weight & is wide? Or would you ever advise continuing to use one beyond its weight limits?

Weight limits on backless boosters are really a red herring. Since they are not restraining the child, the limit is sort of meaningless. A 110 pound booster won't shatter if a 120 pound kid is sitting on it, and in an accident the forced is directed up and away from the booster, not down on it.

If the alternatives are a poorly fitted seatbelt or a backless booster above the stated weight limit, I'll pick the latter and won't feel the slightest bit of concern about it.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Okay, thanks to you both for making me feel better about one of those "tough choices" situations. I'll pass on the recommendation for the Harmony backless and see how that works for them.

Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC