Christmas and bad seat usage??

mominabigtruck

Is it just me or is anyone else noticing that there are a ton of people not using seats right right now? Maybe I just noticed becuse there's lots of people out shopping with their kids but I just had to keep my eyes straight ahead and walk through walmart without looking in people's carts and cars. So many babies in infant seats not strapped in right and too big babies in infant seats. I left walmart and I thought the worst was behind me when next to me in the parking lots pulls a couple of "girls" and I do mean girls maybe 17 tops with a not even walking baby just strapped in with the seatbelt:mad: I mean are people that stupid??? I was pulling out of my spot but I pulled back in and got out and told them that that baby needed to be in a seat and they told me they were just driving up the road. On the busiest day of the year (day before christmas eve) in the busiest part of town where there's usually an accident once a week on the road in front of the store. I'm just to the point where I just want to carry an extra seat in my trunk just to give to people just so I can at least feel a little better in situations like that.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree.

I got "put in my place," however, by a family when I tried to politely inform them that their baby was too big for his infant carseat (the baby's head probably hung over the edge of the seat by at least 1.5", which means he outgrew that seat 2.5" ago!). The mother looked at me and said, "Thank you for your concern. However, we are well informed about carseats. Our son is too big for this seat. We are aware of that, which is why he rides in a convertible seat in the car. He can't sit up yet, so we use this seat as a seat for shopping only." :eek: Oops! I felt pretty stupid after the mother said that. :eek:

I would guess that MOST too-big babies riding in infant carseats are not like the baby above, though. MOST babies are probably just too big and their parents don't realize it. I definitely felt bad about being a smarty-pants when it was unnecessary. :eek:

didymama

I agree.

I got "put in my place," however, by a family when I tried to politely inform them that their baby was too big for his infant carseat (the baby's head probably hung over the edge of the seat by at least 1.5", which means he outgrew that seat 2.5" ago!). The mother looked at me and said, "Thank you for your concern. However, we are well informed about carseats. Our son is too big for this seat. We are aware of that, which is why he rides in a convertible seat in the car. He can't sit up yet, so we use this seat as a seat for shopping only." :eek: Oops! I felt pretty stupid after the mother said that. :eek:

I would guess that MOST too-big babies riding in infant carseats are not like the baby above, though. MOST babies are probably just too big and their parents don't realize it. I definitely felt bad about being a smarty-pants when it was unnecessary. :eek:

have they ever heard of babywearing? might make life easier!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
LOL!

I know. My sister ran into a similar problem with my niece outgrowing her infant carseat before she could reliably sit in a cart. They just used their Baby Bjorn most of the time or used a stroller when they couldn't use the Bjorn. It worked pretty well.

I was SO embarrassed by my interaction with the mother, though! :eek:

abacus2

I also used my infant car seat as a carrier for a few months after my daughter outgrew it. For shopping I usually used the carts with the attached infant seats, but I primarily used the car seat as alternative to a high chair. My daughter started on solids at about 5 months (after she had outgrown her car seat by height) and couldn't sit well enough for a shopping cart til around 8 months. Baby carriers that allow a baby large enough to have outgrown an infant car seat to be carried comfortably are usually expensive, so using a car seat makes sense if you're not generally following a babywearing approach.

chelle80

Is it just me or is anyone else noticing that there are a ton of people not using seats right right now? Maybe I just noticed becuse there's lots of people out shopping with their kids but I just had to keep my eyes straight ahead and walk through walmart without looking in people's carts and cars. So many babies in infant seats not strapped in right and too big babies in infant seats. I left walmart and I thought the worst was behind me when next to me in the parking lots pulls a couple of "girls" and I do mean girls maybe 17 tops with a not even walking baby just strapped in with the seatbelt:mad: I mean are people that stupid??? I was pulling out of my spot but I pulled back in and got out and told them that that baby needed to be in a seat and they told me they were just driving up the road. On the busiest day of the year (day before christmas eve) in the busiest part of town where there's usually an accident once a week on the road in front of the store. I'm just to the point where I just want to carry an extra seat in my trunk just to give to people just so I can at least feel a little better in situations like that.

My bad seat usage was bad too, my MIL was driving around cousin and her 3 kids(ages 4,3,2) with enough seats for everyone, but they didn't want to "fool" with carseats, so they just buckled them into seatbelt on the trip down(20 miles). On the trip back the 2 year old didn't want to sit in the seatbelt so her mother just let her ride in her lap:eek: . Yes, i said something but as usual, it went in one ear and out the other. Me and Cousin have already had it out because she uses a highback booster for her 2 yo, and backless boosters for the other 2, and one of the backless she just uses a lapbelt!!!

didymama

Baby carriers that allow a baby large enough to have outgrown an infant car seat to be carried comfortably are usually expensive,

oh contrare-several of my carriers are under $30 and i can easily carry my 17 mo and could when 9 months pg. i even have some DIY ones that cost about $5-just simple peices of cloth.with those i can carry my almost 4 year old if i have to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC