children in front seat

D

denise44443

can anyone tell me what age for illinois can children sit in the front seat of a car?

ADS

Maedze

I don't believe this is legislated in Illinois.

However, common sense, physics and prudence dictate that nobody under 13 years old, 5 feet and 100 pounds should ride in the front seat, UNLESS for some reason the back seat is unavailable (for example, a two seat vehicle, or all the rear seatbelts are taken by other children.)

If you MUST put a child in the front seat, a good rule of thumb to go by is the oldest child STILL IN A HARNESS should sit there.

swtgi1982

I don't believe this is legislated in Illinois.

However, common sense, physics and prudence dictate that nobody under 13 years old, 5 feet and 100 pounds should ride in the front seat, UNLESS for some reason the back seat is unavailable (for example, a two seat vehicle, or all the rear seatbelts are taken by other children.)

If you MUST put a child in the front seat, a good rule of thumb to go by is the oldest child STILL IN A HARNESS should sit there.

Most car manufactures will tell you the same thing if you look in your owners manual. Some even have it posted on on the visor in the front seats.

swtgi1982

Also I had a question on the front seat as well. A friend of mine said she had a report of 5 yrs old patient of theirs at the ped office where she works injured in a slow moving fender bender. The child was in a car seat (no idea what kind) in the front seat with no air bag deployment. His head hit the dash while in his car seat. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how this happened?

Here is my theories.
1) If in harness, not properly tightened or the seat was not buckled to the vehicle seat (which I see a lot of around here)

2) He was in a booster (which is very plausible given his age around here. With his shoulder strap around his back side instead of in front where it belongs.

I am leaning toward the second option since that sounds most plausible.
Last option is he was unrestrained or in a belt only (both illegal here in MI) and the mom lied to cover her behind. Which I also see a lot of around here. I see newborns on moms lap all the time with no seat even for them in the vehicle. There was not first responders on the scene, mom just took him to the ER herself after to be checked out when his head hurt, so they only have her word to go on.:confused:

Evolily

It's legal, but not safe. It is illegal if you are misusing the child restraint by putting it in the front seat, since we have a proper use clause. The most dangerous place in the car is the front passenger seat.

I'm 23, I was out of a booster at 4 or 5 years old but I was in the back seat until MUCH older. It's been known for quite some time that children belong in the back seat whenever possible.

Maedze

I should clarify that under no circumstances ever should a rear-facing child restraint go in a front seat that has an airbag, for any reason. If that's the only seating position available, than the child cannot go in that car.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Also I had a question on the front seat as well. A friend of mine said she had a report of 5 yrs old patient of theirs at the ped office where she works injured in a slow moving fender bender. The child was in a car seat (no idea what kind) in the front seat with no air bag deployment. His head hit the dash while in his car seat. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how this happened?

Here is my theories.
1) If in harness, not properly tightened or the seat was not buckled to the vehicle seat (which I see a lot of around here)

2) He was in a booster (which is very plausible given his age around here. With his shoulder strap around his back side instead of in front where it belongs.

I am leaning toward the second option since that sounds most plausible.
Last option is he was unrestrained or in a belt only (both illegal here in MI) and the mom lied to cover her behind. Which I also see a lot of around here. I see newborns on moms lap all the time with no seat even for them in the vehicle. There was not first responders on the scene, mom just took him to the ER herself after to be checked out when his head hurt, so they only have her word to go on.:confused:

This is completely plausible. In a crash, the seat belt will stretch, and so will the harness of the car seat. Let's say that the car seat was installed a little loosely with the seatbelt, and the harness was a little loose on the child, and the vehicle seat wasn't pushed all the way back. Given those three situations (all extremely plausible and even likely), it's definitely possible that the child could have hit his head on the dashboard. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC