3 across in TWO rows?

KC in KS

Yup, I'm actually asking about installing 6 carseats!

After my wreck last night, I'm shopping for a new vehicle. I'd like to find something that would let me carry both my 3 kids and a friend's 3. Previously I had a Pontiac Montana that technically sat three across, but only 2 carseats would fit.

I've heard that a Chevy Suburban might work? Anyone tried it?

I'm reluctant to go with a full size van, because I understand they don't come with front-wheel drive. We get too much ice for me to like that idea.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
hmm..maybe a pilot? i has 2 3-person benches. The suburban might work also.
A lot is going to depend on what seats....RF or FF or booster?

MOM25BOYS

I agree with bobandjess99. :thumbsup: It's all going to depend on what seats you are using. I have a 2004 Expedition with a 3rd row and can fit 3 across on both rows. I have a few pics floating around in the 3 across thread with my vehichle. Here is the thread and I would recommend browsing through it just to get some ideas. ;) http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226&highlight=thread

It just takes some patience with finding which seats will work in what spots. :)

rodentranger

hmm..maybe a pilot? i has 2 3-person benches. The suburban might work also.
A lot is going to depend on what seats....RF or FF or booster?
I have a 2003 Pilot and I *might* be able to get three Radians across the 3rd row. I have done several three across combos in the second row, and had two seats and an adult in the third row. The problem with the Pilot's third row is that the leg room is a joke. I haven't been able to get a good installation with any rf seats back there.
I agree with bobandjess99. :thumbsup: It's all going to depend on what seats you are using. I have a 2004 Expedition with a 3rd row and can fit 3 across on both rows. I have a few pics floating around in the 3 across thread with my vehichle. Here is the thread and I would recommend browsing through it just to get some ideas. ;) http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226&highlight=thread

It just takes some patience with finding which seats will work in what spots. :)
I completely agree that it depends entirely on your car seats. I couldn't get three across in my SIL's 2004 Expedition third row when I was trying to use a Frontier or three Marathons.

J-max

CPST Instructor
A suburban should work, depending on your seats and what year burb. I can get any 3 across in my middle row (even 3 regents), but the newer body styles have a narrower 3rd row. I am trying to meet up with a friend who has a couple of radians to see what we can do, because I will need 6 seats in mine during the school year.

KC in KS

I just bought two Graco Nautilus and a Britax Boulevard. They each measure 18.6 inches in width. So far I haven't found anything in the minivan/SUV family that measures 57". Not sure what the other three seats are - they belong to a friend.

Did find a Chevy Express fullsize commercial van (think hotel shuttle) that should work, IF I can manage to drive it.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Are there boosters in the mix? You will probably want at least one so you can flip and fold the seat to get to the back. The express would work until the kids outgrow high back boosters, and then comes the headrest problem. Unless of course the shuttle was customized with high backed seats (there is a place in California that sells them used...wish I could remember the place).

I can get a nautilus, decathlon, booster in the 3rd row of my sienna. There are pics floating around here somewhere.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's not the "nicest" van, and you'd have to get one used as it's been discontinued -- plus no clue on the safety rating, it's probably not stellar -- but my GMC Safari has two bench seats and I can fit six harnessed carseats (including MR/Apex/GN in the mix) into it without too much trouble. Because of the way the benches are, I don't have to take seats out to buckle kids, although I do keep the back row all the way back, and the middle row all the way forward, so that I can crawl into there to get kids buckled.

D

daycaremom

I own a Toyota Sienna and its awesome. We run a daycare and have had several configurations of 6 car seats in both back rows (everything from infant seats to boosters). The back row will make you sweat and you may have to work your puzzle skills (like this seat fits here but not there) but its the only one we found that fits all 6 seats easily and I did a TON of research.

I tried the Honda Pilot but we had problem with the backseat being too small.

If you use at least one booster I place that on an outside seat in the middle and just move it and pull the seat forward to let the kids get in the back. Then once they're buckled we put the seat and booster back and buckle the middle kids in.

Its the best minivan I've ever owned and I actually enjoy driving it too. We took it on a long trip down to Branson this summer and it was so nice to drive. We got a great deal on it too at Superior Toyota on Shawnee Mission Parkway. Good luck to you!

emandbri

In a review Darren said he was able to install a safeguard go and flip a seat. :D For 6 harnessed kids that would be an option.

I love my 8 passenger sienna but like others said it can be tricky to fit 3 in the back. You can check out the 3 across thread to see what has worked for people. I wish I could link to it, I can't find the thread and I'm too frustrated to keep trying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC