Should I call Britax?

SPJ&E

They are supposed to be sending me a new harness for my MA and it hasn't gotten here yet. I'm thinking it's just a little slow because of the Holidays, but should I give them a call and make sure it was sent out?

Also, my Decathlon doesn't adjust at all when my son is buckled into it. It won't tigthen the least little bit and that is extremely annoying! I tried pulling the slack through the back and doing it that way, as suggested on here, but it does absolutely nothing. The harness will adjust fine as long as my son isn't buckled in though. I have to leave it tightened, which makes getting him buckled in a nightmare!

Should I ask them about that and see if they'll replace it or something? I wish they would replace it with a Marathon...that would make my day, lol! Would I have to pay the shipping to send this one back or would they pay it?

ADS

Splash

Definitely call. They will replace the DC, but likely with another DC. You could ask for something else, but no guarantee you will get it. If it is under warranty you probably won't have to pay shipping, but you might. You will have to be without a seat for a few weeks though.
I've only sent one seat back to them. It was a three year old Roundabout, well out of warranty. The base would not recline anymore (and it was the old style base as well). To be honest, I HATED that seat. It cost me $13 to ship it back to them (from FL) and they were supposed to repair it and send it back to me at their expense. They ended up sending me a brand new roundabout! And this was for a three year old seat that I had never even registered with them!

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I've ordered spare covers from them and it has taken about a week and half to two weeks to get them. I'd call though. Also, if they won't exchange the Decathlon for a Marathon you could always sell the new Decathlon for a Marathon. Ebay, etc. Just a thought. ;)

SPJ&E

Thanks you all!

The DC was just manufactured 9/26/06, so it's only 3 months old...just bought it from Albee Baby in October. So it should still be under Warranty, right?

Being without that seat isn't a problem. I have other seats I can use...I just prefer my Britax's!

Kristina, that's what I was thinking of doing...I was talking about it the other day actually. I already plan to buy 2 more Marathons with tax return money. I was thinking I could just sell the Decathlon and buy 3 Marathons instead. Can you tell I'm a big Marathon fan??

I'll give Britax a call tomorrow...they're closed today!

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Hi, I agree with you on the Marathons. I almost bought a Decathlon because Karley kept lifting the lever and loosing the straps. After hearing your experience and others I'm so glad I didn't. She's been using the Roundabout that I use for day care because of the push button adjustor but she is almost too tall for it rear facing. I did sew down the edges of the flap on the Marathon and the Boulevard seats so she can't get into it.

I've had good luck with Ebay selling stuff. I think I am going to sell the Roundabout and get another Marathon. I wish I had purchased the extra Marathon to begin with. :rolleyes: The baby that I use the Roundabout for is almost too tall for it also and isn't even one year old yet. She definately isn't going to be going forward facing until the 33 pounds.

Let us know how you make out with Britax. :D

SPJ&E

I'll definitely let you know how it goes tomorrow!

And yes, be glad you didn't get a DC. I guess some people have more luck with them than others...who knows, but I don't like it! I want something I'm not going to hate using, ya know? I don't think that's too much to ask!

mcmackme

Hi! I'm having the same issue with my son's DC. I got mine from Albee Baby in August '06. I hate using that seat!

My daughter's MA is fine. I loved Britax when all I had was the MA, but the DC is so frustrating. I do like the extra baby positioning pads and head support, but I'd gladly give that up to have a harness that adjusted. I've pulled so hard on the harness adjuster strap that I've popped the push-button completely out at least four times!

My baby is only 8mo, so leaving the harness tightened and trying to get him in and out that way just isn't an option.

mcmackme

Did you end up calling about your DC? I called about mine, and they had me send it back so they could take a look. It just came back to me yesterday, and the letter says that they replaced the adjuster, adjuster strap, and housing, as well as the base. I'm not sure what that means, as far as what might have been genuinely wrong with the original ones...

I'll definitely let you know how it goes tomorrow!

And yes, be glad you didn't get a DC. I guess some people have more luck with them than others...who knows, but I don't like it! I want something I'm not going to hate using, ya know? I don't think that's too much to ask!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Did you end up calling about your DC? I called about mine, and they had me send it back so they could take a look. It just came back to me yesterday, and the letter says that they replaced the adjuster, adjuster strap, and housing, as well as the base. I'm not sure what that means, as far as what might have been genuinely wrong with the original ones...

Sounds like it would've been easier to just send you a new seat at that point...:rolleyes:

mcmackme

She did send them back, but as I recall they sent them back saying they were fine. :confused:

Well, that stinks! I haven't tried mine with the kiddo in it or with it installed in the car, so I can't say yet whether it's going to work better or not. I sort of wish they would have offered to replace it, because I would have asked for a Marathon instead!

SPJ&E

She did send them back, but as I recall they sent them back saying they were fine. :confused:

Yep, that's what happened. I think they may have had The Incredible Hulk testing seats that day, but I can't confirm that.

Seriously though, it's still as bad as ever. Once it's buckled, it absolutely will not tighten past a certain point...and that point is not even close to tight enough. I can fit 2-3 fingers underneath at the shoulder and twist them all the way around AND I can pinch the strap.

I got a tip to only buckle one side, then tighten, then buckle the other side, but that doesn't work either. With either side buckled, it will not tighten nearly enough. We've tried one of us pulling the slack out at the back of the seat while the other pulls the harness adjuster and again, it does nothing.

I have to tighten the harness before buckling my son in. That's the only way I can get it tight enough. It's extremely annoying and can be difficult to buckle him in sometimes...not to mention it can be time consuming.

I sent it back to Britax, they supposedly tested it rear-facing with a dummy of my son's weight in the seat. They said it was working as intended. It's still horrible and I still hate it! I love the cover...really love it...but I HATE the Decathlon!

Stresch

I posted this in the BV tightening thread, but I guess it fits better here.

Anyway, my DC just started doing the same thing. It was always a little stiff, but starting Friday it just would not tighten past a certain point. I'm calling Britax tomorrow.

Oddly, mine is the same pattern as yours, Sam&Pacey, and also from the Albeebaby sale, but it must be about a month older. The first time we used it was over Labor Day weekend.

I hate the thought of being without it, but I'm sure we can borrow a friends' SS1 if we need too. Heck, Sanna would still fit in a snugride.

mcmackme

Mine is the DC Odyssey with a manufacture date of 08/07/06.

I'm really hoping that it's better with the replacement parts...

Stresch

I can't check the DOM on mine now. Well, I could, but I'm not going out to the car in the cold and dark, and the baby is sleeping in the room where I have it written down, but I think it was either July or August 06.

I just now saw that you said your adjuster button popped out. Mine has done that too. Sometimes it also gets stuck in the down position. Have you noticed if your harness is fraying? The adjuster strap on mine is. Right about where it needs to be out when it is tight enough. It's not bad, but I wonder if that is normal?

I definately need to call them. The thought of fighting with this for 5 more years is disheartening.

mcmackme

Yes, my button would get stuck in the down position sometimes, too. The newly replaced button and mechanism has a different "feel" to it when I push on it now.

I'd definitely call! I was impressed with their customer service and how quickly they took care of fixing the seat.

Stresch

Well, I called Britax today. And called and called. The line has been busy. And of course this is the only time I'll be home during business hours.

Grrrr.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC