What to do, car-seat advice needed

my2kidsSafe

One of the consignment shops i sell has a website and the directed posted a "can you help" post. A regular shopper there had preemie twins. One of the twins is getting ready to be released and is under the 5 lb limit on the snugride she has. The hospital will not release him in that seat :thumbsup: So basically he stays there until she gets a seat that he can fit in. Problem is she can't afford a new seat. She already has massive medical bills from being on bed rest and now 2 preemie's in the nicu. She is borrowing snugrides from friends as it is. So she can't sell that to get new seats. She only needs the other seat until her twin reaches the 5 lbs and then she will go back to the other seat she has. Is there anyplace she can borrow a seat from. I have safeseats so i can't even let her borrow that. Any suggestions. I did send them a message to contact safe kids to see if they can help. The other twin will be in the nicu for a few more weeks at least so its predicted he will be over the 5 lbs when he is released. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Does the hospital not have car beds or seats for preemies that they lend out for just this situation? My first recommendation would be to contact the hospital. I'm glad the nurses won't release the baby in a seat that's too big for it, but this happens often in the NICU I'm sure.

I'd contact the health department, Safe Kids, and see about getting on a twins or preemie mom listing for the area, see if anyone has their seats from when their tiny twins came home.

Wendy

my2kidsSafe

Does the hospital not have car beds or seats for preemies that they lend out for just this situation? My first recommendation would be to contact the hospital. I'm glad the nurses won't release the baby in a seat that's too big for it, but this happens often in the NICU I'm sure.

I'd contact the health department, Safe Kids, and see about getting on a twins or preemie mom listing for the area, see if anyone has their seats from when their tiny twins came home.

Wendy

they said he does not need a car-bed as he is fine sitting up normally its just he doesn't weigh enough for a regular seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Low weight is another acceptable reason to use a car bed, though it's not preferred if there's an alternative.

I second linking her to some multiples groups in the area, it's quite possible that someone has a Keyfit or a Combi infant seat or an OnBoard or something that she can use. Also contact local churches, my experience has been get a church involved and the need will be met pronto.

my2kidsSafe

Low weight is another acceptable reason to use a car bed, though it's not preferred if there's an alternative.

I second linking her to some multiples groups in the area, it's quite possible that someone has a Keyfit or a Combi infant seat or an OnBoard or something that she can use. Also contact local churches, my experience has been get a church involved and the need will be met pronto.

is combi a 4 lbs seat though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually, the Combi Shuttle, IIRC, is "from birth"-- no lower weight limit.

I think the Britax Companion and Chaperone are from 4 lbs. as well.

Jan06twinmom

See if you can find out about a local twins club in your area. Go to www.nomotc.org and you can search by zip code. I know my club would be willing to help if we had what was needed.

Actually, if this person is in the Fresno, CA area, I'll try to help.

Melanie

Morganthe

Is there alternative transportation out of the hospital, such as a bus route? Being in a carseat carrier under the min. weight wouldn't matter then. :whistle:

Honestly, I can't see how, unless the hospital is willing to pay for the longer stay, that they can make her keep the child in the hospital. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC