Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Question Anyone own a Honda Odyssey 1999-2002?

I was wondering if you have run into transmission problems or any other issues with your Honda Odyssey? We are looking at possibly getting one within the years listed above but I have seen that some people on the internet say that these year and up until 2004 have transmission problems.

Thanks for any input!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Anyone own a Honda Odyssey 1999-2002?

Are we going to be adding to the family, Ms. Doriansmum?

Also pose your question on the Ody Club forum. www.odyclub.com They will give, hopefully, great help Maybe we will see you over there if you get a "new" ody. The Kids safety forum could always use another CPS fanatic to give those guys () a smack down here and there.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    Are we going to be adding to the family, Ms. Doriansmum?

Also pose your question on the Ody Club forum. www.odyclub.com They will great, hopefully, great help
    Uh no, not yet at least.
    Although we only have 1 child on a average we have 1-2 extra kids with us 4-5 days out of the week. I watch kiddos PLUS have many nieces and nephews.

Thanks for the link.

I believe there were some updates in 2005 that resolved most issues. There was another minor change for 2007 I think.

The most problematic years were covered by an extended warranty. My 2001 was affected, but I never had any issue.
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.
    All Website Content Copyright© 2001-2019, Car-Seat.Org, All Rights Reserved
    Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

My 2003 has never had a problem, though it was recalled and received some fix....
    The only year I'd avoid, carseat-wise, is the 2005 because it only has three top anchors, and no ability to add more.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    My 2003 has never had a problem, though it was recalled and received some fix....
    The only year I'd avoid, carseat-wise, is the 2005 because it only has three top anchors, and no ability to add more.
    Thanks for the heads up on the anchors.

I have a 2002 and a family member has a 2001. The 2001 had the tranny go at about 104k. After much harrassment, Honda corporate covered it under warranty, but it was only 5 years old at the time and there was a silent warranty to 100k.

We have had our 2002 for 4 years and it hasn't had transmission issues yet, but only has 97k on it. We bought it certified used for that reason, but the extended warranty has expired at this point so we would be on our own for repairs. It did have the transmission service for the recall when we bought it at about 35,000mi.

We have only had a couple of minor items beyond routine service in the last 4 years - idle control something and a transmission pressure switch. Each was less than $400. There was also one warranty repair that escapes me, but it wasn't a big deal - oxygen sensor, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    somehow I missed this when I bought mine........ Not too much of a problem right now though.

Melissa thanks for the link to the oddy club - I have a couple of questions as well that I'd like to research.
    CPST & Mom to 3 great daughters
    DDM 20 yrs EMTbasic; Seatbelt
    DDK 1/10/06 54# Cybex X-Fix-booster - doing GREAT
    DDG 7/10/07 43# FF RE
    "You know you're healing when your sadness no longer affects your happiness" anon

What's up doc!? I brought carrots to the soup. You?

as of 2007 model year, the automatic transmission is completely different than the previous models. it's based on the four internal shaft trans that the ridgeline uses vs. the three shaft design the odysseys you speak of used. the four shaft trans is supposedly as reliable as any automatic out there......................

this is my understanding anyways............
    '08 RDX w/tech
    '09 Odyssey EX-L

I bought our 1999 from a family member. There was actually a recall and Honda replaced their transmission at 60,000 miles. So I would maybe look for one that already has a new transmission, maybe?
    michelle mama to
    dd 10.30.06 graco connext & recaro performance booster
    ds 5.4.10 sunshine kids radian xtsl & graco nautilus safety surround
    riding safely in a 2014 mazda 5 and a 2002 subaru forester