Tips for a child who escapes car seat

Mommy0608

I may be helping a family with their houdini child. The child has autism and constantly escapes the car seat. I don't know the child's age or the car seat he is in at this point (just found out this morning... my DD's OT asked me if I could help, it's another client of hers).

So... what tips do you have? The things I've heard of are putting the rough side of velcro on the buckle and/or chest clip, and... uh, I thought I knew of something else but I can't think of anything!

Any advice is appreciated!

ADS

swtgi1982

I would definitely try the Velcro around the chest clip so he can not move it. I know that is how my nephew was getting out of his seat when he was younger. He would slide it down and then get his arms out and then reach the adjuster and loosen the straps and get out.

Mommy0608

If he's unbuckling the crotch strap, I've heard of turning it backwards so the child cannot see the release button.

Oh yeah! That's the thing I was thinking of. So do you just turn it around (twist the stalk of the crotch buckle), or do you actually take it out and install it backward in the seat?

Can you also rethread the chest clip backward? I know with some it wouldn't make a difference (like the IMMI clips), but with the Cosco clips it could help.

I wish I knew what seat he had and how old he is, but I don't... just going off of what little I know to get as many tips as possible. Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You install it backwards. Often you have to switch the buckle tongs too.

I'd be careful flipping the Cosco chest clip-- I've heard of kids able to get out of that one just by leaning on it, which doesn't improve the situation.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
If the escaping is a serious problem that cannot be corrected with these simple solutions, he may require an EZ-On vest to keep him safe in the car.

http://www.ezonpro.com/products/familyVehicle.shtml

They fasten in the back, and are as escape-proof as a restraint could possibly be. Insurance will sometimes cover the cost of these vests if they can get an Rx for one from their doctor based on his diagnosis and documented medical need.

Let me know if you need more info or have questions on the vests. I've worked through our local Public Health office with many families of children with ASD and car seat escape issues, and have assisted them with getting a vest when everything else failed.

Always start with the simplest solutions first: safely modifying his current seat, then on to the possibility of changing to a more difficult-to-escape but typical seat (the Radian is often more "kid-proof" because of its unusual chest clip). When all else fails, the EZ-on vest is nearly fool-proof. Always encourage the parents to enforce, enforce, enforce, and NEVER allow/ignore the escaping behavior, as it will only increase future escape attempts.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! I'd be curious to learn about what kind of seat he is escaping from right now, and how exactly is he doing it (i.e.: is he actually unbuckling, or is he sliding the chest clip down? Are the parents securing him properly/tight enough to begin with? What have they tried?)

Mommy0608

Thank you everyone! The vest sounds like a great idea if all else fails. :thumbsup: I really don't know much about the vest, so any information you can offer would be fantastic. I'll do some reading online about it as well. Not sure what the financial situation is with this family, however, our district in general is relatively low income, so it's likely they won't have a lot of money to spend on a new seat or vest.

I wish I knew more about the situation, but at this point I don't. DD's OT just asked me about it this morning during our OT session. She asked if I'd be willing to try to help this family and of course I said I would. She is going to ask the parents if they'd like to meet with me. I also suggested a place she could go to if they're more comfortable with that approach (it's at a hospital, and they are excellent with special needs situations from what I've heard).

When I find out more I'll be sure to update. We won't be meeting with the OT during the next two weeks (today was the last summer session), so I don't know if she'll be calling me or waiting until school starts.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What does the SN-training say, if anything, about the wrist/ankle/arm restraints sold by EZ-On? (Click the link above, go to "products" and then "accessories.) I have no experience with them; I'm just wondering if they would be easier to use with a carseat instead of switching the child to a vest. Or can they only be used with a vest?

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
What does the SN-training say, if anything, about the wrist/ankle/arm restraints sold by EZ-On? (Click the link above, go to "products" and then "accessories.) I have no experience with them; I'm just wondering if they would be easier to use with a carseat instead of switching the child to a vest. Or can they only be used with a vest?

I am quite certain those are only to be used with the vest, as they are designed to hook onto the big D-rings featured on the sides of the vests. I'm not sure what you would hook them to in a typical car seat, even if you wanted to.

Also, there would be concerns about extending the time needed for emergency evacuation (fire, water, etc.). With the vest, you take the vest and child out together, so the restraints wouldn't increase evacuation time at all.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I am quite certain those are only to be used with the vest, as they are designed to hook onto the big D-rings featured on the sides of the vests. I'm not sure what you would hook them to in a typical car seat, even if you wanted to.

Also, there would be concerns about extending the time needed for emergency evacuation (fire, water, etc.). With the vest, you take the vest and child out together, so the restraints wouldn't increase evacuation time at all.

That makes sense; thanks for the explanation!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
About switching the crotch strap backwards. Do you car seat companies allow this? Just wondering, once a PT put a peice of tape head to toe, to keep a SN baby in place. In a crash test, the tape actually opened the buckle.

Mommy0608

About switching the crotch strap backwards. Do you car seat companies allow this? Just wondering, once a PT put a peice of tape head to toe, to keep a SN baby in place. In a crash test, the tape actually opened the buckle.

Good question!

So... they taped the child to the seat... I'm trying to picture this. :confused: How did the tape make the buckle come open? I'm not second guessing it, I'm just trying to understand.

Evolily

I'd be afraid, if you switched the buckle, the pressure from the child in a crash would cause it to undo :confused: .

There's always the button up/zipper up shirt thing- where you button or zipper the child's shirt over the harness to prevent them from unlatching the chest clip. I'd also try velcro on the crotch strap.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I will have to ask again to get specifics. The tape was to hold to head. Baby had padding around the head? I would not think, in a milliion years that it would cause the buckle to open, but it did. Trying to find the info.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC