convince me that I need a radian

Amaris

I want to love the idea of getting one, but I don't. I've read too much on here about the install and I'm not looking forward to it. AT. ALL. I love car seats (I think I'm on my 12th for 3 kids and several were just because I wanted them, I love getting a new seat), but I'm not loving the fact that I need a radian. Kaitlin is 30-31lbs fully clothed and 37 inches tall and our marathon is a 33lb rear facing one. I'm actually considering buying a scenera, which she barely fits in, just to see how long it will take her to gain the weight, then possibly a truefit if she shows no sign of getting to 35lbs quickly. Yep, that's how bad I really don't want to have to deal with the radian.

ETA: If I do manage to be convinced that a radian is the way to go what date is the 40lb rf'ing limit effective from? And what site will tell me the dom if I call, then actually send the dom they tell me? And who has return shipping insurance? In short, where is the best place to order from?

ADS

FrogJuice

I :love: my radian, I can fit it in just about any car, I have had luck on installing in my van, but my husbands car was a different story, it was a no go. We don't have latch, but have heard its pretty easy to install when using the latch.

I believe the 40lb ones go back to sep '08, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

My almost 6yo who is 37lbs, fits in it rear facing:thumbsup:

I think the seats really worth it know with the 40lb rear facing weight limits

BookMama

Senior Community Member
OP, what vehicle/vehicles would you be installing it in?

The 40 lb. RF weight limit is retroactive to seats manufactured in 9/08 and later.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
i believe hipmonkey and elitecarseats have cheap return shipping...there may be others but can't remember right now...

Amaris

It will be in an 05 Ford Expedition (with leather if it makes a difference). I have latch, and I believe ford is to 48lbs, but my biggest worry is that she will hit 48lbs before she's outgrown the radian and I'm ready to have her in a booster. The seatbelt stalks are hard and slightly forward of the bight, and from what I'm reading those are 2 of the biggest problems with a seatbelt install. Dh has been very patient with me about car seats, but he's said that if I get the radian it will be the last harnessed seat we buy, ever, so I have to be sure that it really is the last seat we will need. That means it must install well with the seatbelt.

FrogJuice

I do feel like the reason I could not get a good install in DH's car was due to his leather seats and his belt stalks also slant forward.

Is there anywhere you could try one first, before you buy it?

I usually always purchase our seats at target.com, that way I can just return it to one of our local targets, and they usually have a good carseat selection in store or I can purchase again online if needed.

Mommy0608

I tried the Radian in my '09 Grand Caravan on Tuesday... RF installation with seatbelt was a BREEZE! However, FF installation with the seatbelt was a hassle. The buckle stalk is rigid and pointed toward the front of the vehicle. It is not forward of the bight really, but having it pointed forward definitely made the installation more difficult (though not totally impossible).

Walmart also has a good return policy and they do have the Radian on their website (at least they did last time I checked). Good luck!

monstah

My seatbelt stalks are "fixed" (Ford), they are foward of the bight, they point towards the front of the car and I have leather. 4 strikes against the Radian right there and I'll tell you what.... the Radian is my FAVORITE car seat right now. It took a few tries to get the hang of installing it but, I'm in :love:.
LATCH was a breeze but we had to abandon LATCH months ago because DS is over 48 pounds.

Like you, I didn't want a Radian after reading reviews and problems on this site. Then one day, fate put a RN on clearance at Target for $120 so I snatched it up and now I own 2. :D (Kelandmad, maybe I bought yours, LOL.) ;)

I say try it!! (And FWIW, it's my DH's favorite seat too.)

Amaris

My seatbelt stalks are "fixed" (Ford), they are foward of the bight, they point towards the front of the car and I have leather. 4 strikes against the Radian right there and I'll tell you what.... the Radian is my FAVORITE car seat right now. It took a few tries to get the hang of installing it but, I'm in :love:.
LATCH was a breeze but we had to abandon LATCH months ago because DS is over 48 pounds.

Like you, I didn't want a Radian after reading reviews and problems on this site. Then one day, fate put a RN on clearance at Target for $120 so I snatched it up and now I own 2. :D (Kelandmad, maybe I bought yours, LOL.) ;)

I say try it!! (And FWIW, it's my DH's favorite seat too.)

What tricks do you use to install it? I've got the same 4 strikes and I really need this to work!

Nisha

I was SO nervous about getting a radian since they're not know to be so universally friendly, but it was the ONLY car seat that stood a chance in DH's pickup so I had to give it a try.

We LOVE our radians!!! I've installed them on leather, super squishy cloth and everything inbetween, and the only install I wasn't happy with was trying to get a more upright RF install in a 2005 Grand Prix... I gave up but it didn't need to be a permanant install anyway, just for a day.

kandamom

My ds2 is exactly Kaitlin's age, 32.5 lbs, and nearly 38" tall. He was also using a 33 lb rf marathon, which I recently replaced with a radian65. I was concerned about the installation issues as well. My biggest issue is that it is very close to a 45 degree angle in my minivan, and I would like it to be more upright. Other than that, it is a very easy install now that I am used to it. I have not yet tried a ff or seat belt installation. I had looked at the truefit, but the crotch strap was already tight on him. (Since then, I have read that people on here say that it has more room when installed.) The radian has higher top slots for front facing though, so I thought it was the better choice anyway.

Kaitlin could have quite a bit of time before she hits 33 lbs, but then again you never know. I'm glad I waited until ds2 was 32 lbs to buy a new seat, since new options were available. My ds2 was 31 lbs for probably half a year. I've been really happy with the radian, other than the recline angle and the fact that I have to use the crotch position that is furthest out for 30+ lbs. These are certainly not deal-breakers, as it is the best option for ds2 to erf. (Assuming I would more or less follow the 40" limit on the CA. I wouldn't be comfortable using it much past 40", but that's just what I'd do.)

I love diapers dot com.:love:

Rebecca
K - 7.5, 51.5", 57 lbs, Monterey
A - 25 months, 37.5 lbs, 32 lbs, rf in a Radian65

Amaris

I guess I'm convinced, maybe. I'll probably order one to try since there isn't anywhere that carries them locally. Can you tell I'm indecisive about it?

kandamom

But what other options do you have for rf? The MyRide, depending on her torso length. This one would not work for my long-torsoed ds2. The CA, but I personally wouldn't use it much past the 40" for rf height. (Some of the techs on here have said they would, though, so maybe it's not something to worry too much about.) 35 lb seats. Chances are 35 lb seats could last her the good part of a year, but you just never know. Maybe a less expensive 35 lb rf seat would last her until there are more options. Several months ago, my ds2 was within an inch of the top of the scenera (not installed, though), so I don't know if that would work for Kaitlin.

Yeah, I'm a little ocd about this.;) When I considered all of these factors and the fact that my (pretty tall) 7.5-year-old would still technically fit ff, the choice became more clear to me. With a little practice, it is now as easy as a marathon for me to install.

Good luck with your decision.

Rebecca
A - 25 months, 37.5", 32.5 lbs, rf in a Radian65

monstah

What tricks do you use to install it? I've got the same 4 strikes and I really need this to work!

[Copied from a post by Defrost: Get it tight. Unbuckle, tighten the seat belt (and smoothing out the scrunched-up part) and then re-buckling (bounce, bounce, swear, click? ) That's the only method I know of for that particular problem (fixed buckle stalk with no reclining vehicle seat.)

My method:

-Don't use the recline option on the RN.
-Sit the Radian about 1-2 inches away from the seat bight.
-Thread the seatbelt through the path and buckle.
-Stand on the seat.
-Yup, I said take off your shoes and stand on the car seat.
-When tightening the seatbelt, you want to pull straight out -parallel to the ground, not up towards the ceiling or back over the car seat- this should help prevent the seatbelt from scrunching up un you until it is tight enough. (Two people might be helpful.)
-Then lock the seatbelt at the retractor and remove the excess.
-But, before all of the excess is fed in, I actually put my back on the ceiling and give the seat a push straight down and pull the seatbelt as tight as possible. (This is when the seatbelt will likely scrunch up on you.)

I hope I was able to explain it clearly. It sounds more difficult than it actually is once you get used to it. It takes me about 5 minutes (probably less) to get it fully installed in my car, top tether and all.

Amaris

The MR is similar in height to the marathon, and depending on how she sits in the marathon she's just under or just above the second to top slots. She wears 18-24 month pants and 3t-4t shirts, so yep, she's mostly torso. Dh and I have talked about the MR, but spending more money on a shell that is not going to give her more height room doesn't make much sense. We looked at the CA at BRU, but to me it's just not a $250 seat. It's nice, but just not that nice, especially considering that the radian can be had for about $50 less. So I'm to the point of turn her soon or get a radian. I know I need one, I just don't want one!

But what other options do you have for rf? The MyRide, depending on her torso length. This one would not work for my long-torsoed ds2. The CA, but I personally wouldn't use it much past the 40" for rf height. (Some of the techs on here have said they would, though, so maybe it's not something to worry too much about.) 35 lb seats. Chances are 35 lb seats could last her the good part of a year, but you just never know. Maybe a less expensive 35 lb rf seat would last her until there are more options. Several months ago, my ds2 was within an inch of the top of the scenera (not installed, though), so I don't know if that would work for Kaitlin.

Yeah, I'm a little ocd about this.;) When I considered all of these factors and the fact that my (pretty tall) 7.5-year-old would still technically fit ff, the choice became more clear to me. With a little practice, it is now as easy as a marathon for me to install.

Good luck with your decision.

Rebecca
A - 25 months, 37.5", 32.5 lbs, rf in a Radian65

Amaris

I've had seats like that. It's been a while, but I think I can do it again.

[Copied from a post by Defrost: Get it tight. Unbuckle, tighten the seat belt (and smoothing out the scrunched-up part) and then re-buckling (bounce, bounce, swear, click? ) That's the only method I know of for that particular problem (fixed buckle stalk with no reclining vehicle seat.)

My method:

-Don't use the recline option on the RN.
-Sit the Radian about 1-2 inches away from the seat bight.
-Thread the seatbelt through the path and buckle.
-Stand on the seat.
-Yup, I said take off your shoes and stand on the car seat.
-When tightening the seatbelt, you want to pull straight out -parallel to the ground, not up towards the ceiling or back over the car seat- this should help prevent the seatbelt from scrunching up un you until it is tight enough. (Two people might be helpful.)
-Then lock the seatbelt at the retractor and remove the excess.
-But, before all of the excess is fed in, I actually put my back on the ceiling and give the seat a push straight down and pull the seatbelt as tight as possible. (This is when the seatbelt will likely scrunch up on you.)

I hope I was able to explain it clearly. It sounds more difficult than it actually is once you get used to it. It takes me about 5 minutes (probably less) to get it fully installed in my car, top tether and all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC