My nephew got a new car seat for Christmas

Splash

My nephew Zachary will be a year old next week, and weighs 24ish pounds.
For Christmas he got a new shield booster :(
He "loves it" according to his parents. They "needed" his old seat for the new baby (due in late January) and because my SIL refuses to buckle two car seats (which means you should wait 6 years between kids, not 13 months).
I'm so sad. Jean had a royal fit on both of them when she found out, but according to Jess it "doesn't matter" if it's really safe, it's "good enough" and "as long as I don't get a ticket, who cares?"
He also got a video game. Video games for infants. What stupidity.

ADS

Ali

"my SIL refuses to buckle two car seats"

What?!?! Then why have 2 children?

I have a friend who can't wait for her oldest DD to be in a booster (she's 4, very immature and stubborn, and just reached 30 lbs.) because it's such a pain to buckle all her kids in. Then why did she have 3 in less than four years??

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Holy crap!!!!!

They still make new shield boosters?

Why would she do this? May as well put an ejection seat under the kid. Wow. How sad.

Wendy

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Holy crap!!!!!

They still make new shield boosters?

Why would she do this? May as well put an ejection seat under the kid. Wow. How sad.

Wendy

That's what I thought - who still sells 'em? :eek: :mad:

Any chance you could "upgrade" it to at least a decent combo seat?

I "donated" my seat to my niece so her brother didn't ride in a lap belt by explaining the situation (lap belts are unsafe) and installing the seat. . .

LuvBug

maybe you could talk them into an over head shield seat? It requires the same amount of buckling as a shield booster, but is safer. It is better than the alternative.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yikes. I was actually hoping from your subject line it was going to be a good news announcement about a shiny new Britax or Radian for Christmas. Is it a new seat or a used one?

didymama

oh and buckling a booster is that much easier-i think not!!! with a car seat you don't have to reach over!! pitiful and stupid!i'd be on the phone to the police!!

Splash

Oh crap.
She didn't buy it new. She (well, her husband) bought it used at a consignment store. The guy won't buy ANYTHING used, not even clothes or toys (because the kid has to have all Tommy or Sean John crap) but he'll buy a used car seat.
She doesn't know how to use it. She asked Jean today. I don't even know how to use the thing! She doesn't have the instructions for it.
I will not buy them a new seat. Her husband makes twice what we do combined, they can damn well afford a car seat for their kid. They just don't care. I'll provide one for my MIL to use (maybe, I'm still undecided on that one) but they are on their own with this.
I bought this girl a Roundabout for her baby shower. Then I decided not to give it to her because she was being an idiot and I just decided I wanted nothing to do with her child in a car seat. THEN we bought her a Boulevard when he outgrew his Snugride (snugride 1, which he is still using occasionally) and she took it back for an Intera plus store credit. We are DONE on the car seat front.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Geez. How ridiculous. The baby has to be in designer clothes, but a used shield booster (which is unsafe at any age, but ESPECIALLY for a one-year-old!!) is fine? Have these people ever heard of PRIORITIES!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Come on, Splash. It sounds like you are the one with your priorities out of whack... we all know that clothes are SO MUCH more important than safety! What is wrong with you that you don't realize that? :p :rolleyes: :D Obviously I am kidding.

I will pray for your nephew that he is not involved in any accidents while seated in that booster. How scary!

Last edited:

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Splash,

I totally agree with you. It is so sad. By the way, I'd love to be related to you, :D a new BOULEVARD? Wow! :D I've never received gifts like that and would have loved too. She's crazy to return it!!! I hope nothing happens to him. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC