Need Recommendation for double stroller

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What double stroller would you all recommend for this situation:

~ Two children-- 32-33 months apart (newborn & toddler)
~ Do not need a jogging stroller
~ Older child need to be able to ride and have a place to be buckled.
~ These will be the only two children in the family, so there is no possibility of "passing the stroller down" to a second set of closely aged sibs.

Would you recommend something like the Phil & Ted's E3, with the toddler seat?

Would you recommend something like the Maclaren Twin Techno?

Would you recommend something like the Chicco Twin C5?

Would you recommend something like the Sit N Stand or Joovy Caboose?

Are there any double strollers that will accept a Graco infant seat and a toddler besides the DuoGlider or the Sit N Stand?

Thanks for your help!!!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My favourite double isn't even on your list of considerations. I LOVE my Mountain Buggy Urban Double. I have a 1.5 year old and a 3.5 year old and it is the most amazing stroller for both everyday as well as anywhere from the beach to the mall. It's a bit heavy in and out of the van, but it fits great since it folds up nice and flat (I stand it upright behind the back row.) Don't eliminate this because it's seemingly a jogger (I wouldn't want to do anything but a brisk walk with it, even with the front wheels locked..)

It was a tough call between the P&T and the MBUD. I chose the MBUD because I like the fact that it's side-by-side, and that it pops open ready for two children immediately (there isn't that extra step of adding the extra seat)... If you're tall, or your husband is tall I would definitely avoid the Twin Techno--it's a kicker. I thought it was going to be my double of choice and then reality kicked in--oh wait, that was ME doing the kicking.

If you've been spoiled by a nice single, you probably won't like many/any of the other options you've mentioned, either.

I think in your case the P&T might be the best option since you can use it as a single later. However, the MBUD retains so much value that you could use it for a year or two and then buy a nice Mac Quest (or even a Triumph or a Volo) once you only need a single.

If you and/or your partner do not have a long stride, you'll probably want to test a Twin Techno and a Twin Swift (another great option--less expensive, and lighter than the TT!) I've never tried a Twin C5 IRL since I'm in Canada and I haven't seen one here in stores....but definitely try them all out with some weight in them, then try how they fold and unfold to see if it's intuitive.

Oh and on the note of carseat compatibility--the Mountain Buggy and the P&T have carseat adapter bars that make them compatibile with the SnugRide and the SafeSeat. However (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, since I don't have a P&T) I do believe that when you're using the adapter bar, the seat is reclined and you cannot have a second child in the stroller? Although I have seen people just toss an infant seat into the second seat (when installed at the back) and it seems secure... I don't think of carseat compatibility as a huge issue--you're shopping for a stroller you'll be using for around 2+ years, and the time your baby needs to be transported in an infant seat is minimal in comparison. Techs, such as myself, will warn you not to keep your baby in a carseat any longer than absolutely necessary due to the risk of developing plagiocephely...so carseat compatibility may not really be as important, afterall...?

-Nicole.

tchrgrrl

I would not recommend the e3 for kids 32-33 months apart. I had it for my kids, 24 months apart. At first it was a great single with extra storage in the form of an extra seat because my newborn had no desire to ride in any stroller - he wanted to be in the sling or carried, only. There was a period of time that it was an excellent fit for us - great for aquarium, zoo, festival trips until my oldest wanted/needed to get in and out more - and then we had issues. DS1 was too big to sit in the back jump seat and if he got out of the front seat it would make the stroller tippy for DS2 who was still in the back seat. So it worked great for 8-9 months and then it sat in my garage for a year until I sold it last month. I loved it - it is an excellent stroller but was over priced for a single and for US the usefulness was limited.

If it had been available at the time I might have considered more carefully a Joovy. But in all honesty - by the time DS1 was 36-40 months he rarely used the stroller and if I needed him to I would put DS2 in the sling and put DS1 in the single stroller (Maclaren Volo). I do have a side by side double jogger (Safetech) to use for long walks, festivals, airshows, etc. Those are situations in which I don't think anyone would have been happy long in the back seat of the e3 or sitting on a little bench seat on a sit and stand or Joovy.

ccjones

Another vote for a Mountain Buggy! I have the Urban Single, which I LOVE! I only use mine for "outside" stuff since I have a Mac for the mall, grocery, etc. But I totally agree with QuassEE that it truly could be used as a full-time multi-purpose stroller. I've even seen some MBUDs on sale for almost what I paid for my Single last year! :mad:

Dillipop

My kids are just over 3 years apart and we have loved our Joovy. My older one walks a lot, but likes to ride along sometimes. He also really likes to be strapped in on the jumpseat. No problems with lack of space there. I really like how the stroller is not that much bigger than a typical full feature stroller. It doesn't have parent cupholders, though, which doesn't bother me, but could bother some. It is also hard to access the basket. My safeseat fits well on top and even at about 3 months, with a body support pillow, we could use the front seat for our baby.

I just saw an awesome sit and stand the other day. It had a full seat for the second rider that could be removed when the child got a bit older to become an actual sit and stand. Probably the best of everything. A full double for those times you need it, but a sit and stand for the shorter trips

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC