Holy smokes, my little peanut has 1/2"/2.5 pounds before she outgrows her Wizards!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know which she's going to do first, outgrow it by weight RFing, or by height FFing. She's 30.5 pounds now, at 33 pounds I have to turn her, but her shoulder may be above the top harness height already by then. And if not, then probably soon. She's only 4y5m!!! Since July she's gained 2.5 pounds, so probably by her birthday in July she'll be 33. She was 38" in September and now she's 39.75". I've already moved her harness up twice in the last few months. FFing one more good spurt and she's over the top. RFing one more good spurt and she's over the weight. Who would have thought she'd max out the seat RFing and FFing nearly on the same day?

I just had her in the Radian and I need to put her in the top slots there, though they're up by her ears. I need to measure the Wizard's top harness height. It's not as high as I thought. RFing she has probably 8 inches or so, but only 2.5 pounds.

I don't know what we're going to do next. I'm pushing for Regent/Parkway, though I'm wary of the Parkway because she's only 30 pounds. Though then she'll be 33 pounds. I guess there's nothing wrong with letting a 33 pound 5 (or nearly 5) year old use a Parkway as a secondary seat. Nathan balked at the price of the Regent, but not the idea. So half the battle won already. He LOVES the idea of a booster for his car. We may go check out the Parkway/Monarch soon and see which she fits into better.

Eyes open now for a good price on a Regent.

Wendy

ADS

Morganthe

Re: Holy smokes

Gotta love them growth spurts!!! :D
Think of it this way, she gave you some breather time on clothes and gear. My dd is a year + 2 months younger than yours, but same height + 3lbs. She easily wears 4 & 5t clothes. I'd love to see what they look like next to one another being so close in size, but such different ages.

It's hard to believe Rowen wore 0-3month clothes for almost 5 months after birth. Amazing how the young'uns grow. Too bad they don't come with some sort of a timeline for growth patterns. ;)

Has your peanut been eating and sleeping more? That's when I can pinpoint when she's about to grow in the next few days. There's been a lot of those lately :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas, maybe Santa will put a carseat under the tree (wink)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Holy smokes, my little peanut has 1/2"/2.5 pounds before she outgrows her Wizards

LOL No Santa here. No new seat, either.

We buy her clothes because we want to, not because she needs them a lot. She got a new winter jacket this year. She'd been wearing the same ones since she was two. She finally outgrew them enough to warrant a new jacket (she can still wear them, though they're a bit short on the sleeve). She's just coming into a size three pants, and those are too big around the waist. Shirts she's a 3/4, depending on the brand. In what she's saved us in clothes we could easily buy her two or three Regents. LOL Doesn't quite work out in having sums in hand though.

Actually, since we only need one seat right away (since her Radian will work) and these Wizards are just over two years old, I can sell them and offset the cost. Probably quite a bit, if not all of the cost of a Regent.

Does anyone know where a Monarch is in stock? BRU has the Parkway, but no Regent or Monarch. USA Baby has the Regent and Parkway, but no Monarch. The first lady at BRU thought I said the Playtex Monarch. Some day I'm going to work in the carseat aisle there and actually be educated about carseats. No one will believe me because all the associates in other stores their friends talk to give different advice than I do. LOL

Wendy

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Re: Holy smokes, my little peanut has 1/2"/2.5 pounds before she outgrows her Wizards

I just had to move abby's radian slots up to the top... and they are by her ears too but her sholders are now above the second to top slots, but i'm guessing b/c of her short torso hight and LONG legs she'll hopefully last in the radian till she's 6 and will be able to go to a parkway then... Your dd is more of a skinny minni then mine! LOL she's 38lbs now finally i think she's gaining some muscle from gymnastics class! Not sure about the monarch, either, i don't like the idea of it with the arm rest abby would have trouble buckling, she uses a graco bpb in her dad's car once in a blue moon, but when she moves to a booster full time it will be a parkway b/c i like the TSI and no arm rest make buckling easier when i do 3 across and i'm hoping by then i'll have 4 kidos! LOL

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

I just had to move abby's radian slots up to the top... and they are by her ears too but her sholders are now above the second to top slots, but i'm guessing b/c of her short torso hight and LONG legs she'll hopefully last in the radian till she's 6 and will be able to go to a parkway then... Your dd is more of a skinny minni then mine! LOL she's 38lbs now finally i think she's gaining some muscle from gymnastics class! Not sure about the monarch, either, i don't like the idea of it with the arm rest abby would have trouble buckling, she uses a graco bpb in her dad's car once in a blue moon, but when she moves to a booster full time it will be a parkway b/c i like the TSI and no arm rest make buckling easier when i do 3 across and i'm hoping by then i'll have 4 kidos! LOL

Piper is a one and only, so I don't care too much about three across situations. A two across is rare here. LOL Plus I don't know about trusting her to buckle yet. I know she can, she goes around doing up all of the buckles in the car, but I don't know. Plus I may want to lock the belt for the first few times she does it.

Piper's been doing gymnastics since before she turned two, about two and a half years now. She is all muscle. She's been in the invitation only class since the spring and they do a lot more "real" gymnastics, and still she's so little. It's an advantage for gymnastics for her to be so petite. Not to mention she's really good at it. I had a dream last night that the owner decided at the end of this semester (January something) that they were going to move her to the next level up, which is with the six year olds. Actually, I know they've been talking about it and it wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the summer she was moved up with the six year olds, even though she'll just be five. Can you tell I'm a bit proud of my little gymnast? LOL

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Holy smokes, my little peanut has 1/2

I loved gymnastic when I was younger, good for her! It was much more fun than piano (though of course now I wish I played better, lol). AJ is only about 38" and is in the top slot of his Radiab too. I keep going back and forth on who gets a new seat at tax time, AJ or Evan. :)

Morganthe

Re: Holy smokes

I was trying to figure out why Rowen still is under the 2nd strap slot in her Radian by an inch when she's a smidge taller than Piper. Abby's a lot taller, so no doubt there ;)
I know Rowen has lots of space since I just put her in dh's car the other day.

Is Piper ff or rf in the Radian?
If she's ff, is the base popped out for the 'recline' position? If you don't have it that way, try it out... I believe it's what gives Rowen the extra space because the back leans back further. Her Torso is 15" give or take a 1/2", but it's hard to determine exact amount when I'm measuring the wiggle wort. :p

A coat lasting 2 winters --- LOL. I didn't even know that could happen! If we hadn't moved last Feb, she would have worn the next size up before it became warm in April. 3T was huge on her before Jan -- tight on her afterwards.
Since the weather's so up and down here, I found a really nice faux sheepskin hooded jacket 6 weeks ago at a children's consignment shop. Half off at $4 & all the marks came clean in the wash. She loves it and I don't feel guilty that she's only worn it 2x since purchase. I saw something similar at Target on sale at $35 last week, so I felt like a good mommy

I wouldn't trust any child to self-buckle without checking afterwards for a very long time. Just me, though. I want that harness tight. There's times dd is laughing at the buckle's stubborness and my battle to get it fastened. No way would a child have that strength or leverage to get it like I do. ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

"Is Piper ff or rf in the Radian?
If she's ff, is the base popped out for the 'recline' position? If you don't have it that way, try it out... I believe it's what gives Rowen the extra space because the back leans back further. Her Torso is 15" give or take a 1/2", but it's hard to determine exact amount when I'm measuring the wiggle wort."

She's not full time in the Radian. She could easily fit RFing, but generally when she's in it she's FFing. We keep it upright. She doesn't need extra room in the Radian, she's got probably three inches torso space on that one. And she doesn't care if she's upright FFing.

I'll have to try it in the "reclined" position. We've never tried it. If the base isn't shoved against the back that's just because it won't install well that way.

Wendy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Re: Holy smokes...

So are you hoping to get a Regent as Piper's primary seat? It sounds like Piper would be a great "candidate" for the Regent. :) Using the Parkway or Monarch as a secondary seat also sounds like a great idea!

This scares me a bit, though. My 25-month-old niece is only a few inches shorter than Piper, but weighs the same amount (around 30-31 pounds). I believe (but I might be wrong) that my niece is about 35" tall. If Piper has outgrown (or almost outgrown) the Wizard, I am afraid my niece will outgrow her Marathons long before she is ready to move into a booster!!! YIKES! :eek: I actually haven't seen my niece in her carseat in SEVERAL months, so I don't know how well she is fitting right now. Gosh, I HOPE she has at least another year-and-a-half!!! She is only 25 months old! :eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Holy smokes...

So are you hoping to get a Regent as Piper's primary seat? It sounds like Piper would be a great "candidate" for the Regent. :) Using the Parkway or Monarch as a secondary seat also sounds like a great idea!

This scares me a bit, though. My 25-month-old niece is only a few inches shorter than Piper, but weighs the same amount (around 30-31 pounds). I believe (but I might be wrong) that my niece is about 35" tall. If Piper has outgrown (or almost outgrown) the Wizard, I am afraid my niece will outgrow her Marathons long before she is ready to move into a booster!!! YIKES! :eek: I actually haven't seen my niece in her carseat in SEVERAL months, so I don't know how well she is fitting right now. Gosh, I HOPE she has at least another year-and-a-half!!! She is only 25 months old! :eek:

A regent would be her primary seat. Which I would have liked to have done anyway, but I figured she wouldn't outgrow the Wizards until she was six or so, then I would have had a tough time convincing Nathan and Piper we needed it.

I've heard that the Boulevards' measurements are less than the Marathon/Decathalon, and that seems to hold true for the Wizards as well. The Radian has 17-18" top slots (it's listed at 18" but mine is 17" solid) and Piper has inches and inches in her Radian. Probably two to three inches. But only half an inch on the Wizard. I double cranked it, just to make sure I was at the top, and she *may* have 3/4" left, but not more. She may get to her fifth birthday or a bit later, she may not make it to spring. But she'll make it to six easy in her Radian.

Wendy

Yoshi

Re: Holy smokes, my little peanut

Wow, they sure sprout up out of the blue, don't they? We have a Radian, also and my daughter has about 3.5-4" of harness height left (she's still on the second from top slots at 39" with a 14.5" torso) while in her DC, she only has about two inches left. She is 3.5 yrs old and 37 lbs and hopfully will get to age 6 height-wise in the Radian.

Have you considered holding off on the purchase of the Regent and see if different HWH seats will be coming out that may be less huge but still give more growing room- or did you really want the Regent? Isn't Recaro coming out with something that harnesses to a higher weight? I will be doing just that- waiting- because although I liked the Regent, and it would have harnessed my DD until possibly 10 yrs old, I figured that was overkill- I don't think I will harness past 6 or 7, personally.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

We have a bit of time, if something comes out that's reasonable with nice high slots we'll look into it. As it is, we can sell both Wizards and buy a Regent, no worries at all, so right now that's what I'm thinking.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC