Comparison pics - 3yo RF in True Fit vs. Radian

Mommy0608

**EDITED TO ADD pic of DD in the Complete Air**

There's been a lot of talk about how the Radian and True Fit compare in shell height for rear-facing use. Here are comparison pics of my 3 year old DD, on the same day, installed in the same vehicle (2009 Grand Caravan), same seating position (2nd row passenger side captains chair).

True Fit:

JessicainTF8-18-09.jpg

Radian:

JessicainRadianclose-up8-18-09.jpg

You can see she clearly has much more height room in the True Fit. :thumbsup:

Here is a side view of the Radian. I was able to get an easy, relatively upright rear-facing installation using the lap-shoulder belt (locks at retractor):

JessicainRadian8-18-09.jpg

In the above pic, it looks like she has a lot of room above her head, but she's not sitting properly so the picture is deceiving. I just wanted to show the installation angle.

ETA: Here she is in the Complete Air. This isn't an accurate representation of how much room she has to grow because the headrest is not in the highest position in this picture. However, the shell itself (NOT including headrest) is about 25". The headrest extends to 27" (which is the same as the True Fit shell height), so imagine the top of the headrest 2" higher than the top of the seat shell. She looked to have the same amount of growing room in the True Fit and Complete Air, but of course the Complete Air allows use to the TOP of the headrest, not 1" below like other convertibles. My PERSONAL choice would be to use it to about 1" from the top, like other seats, so for my DD she'd have the same amount of torso growing room in both the Complete Air and True Fit. Hope that helps!

JessicainCompleteAir.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Maedze

Very cool. I do so wish they'd up the RF limit on the True-Fit. That would be the ideal seat right there.

Mommy0608

Yes indeed! I'm really in :love: with my True Fit. Andrea (bookmama) was kind enough to let me try out her Radian, and after seeing how much height room difference there was, plus the difficult FF installation, I'm just not feeling the love for that seat. :( I was hoping for a 40lb RF seat for Tyler, but the MyRide is out because of the short shell and steep FF recline, Complete Air is out (already tried and returned), which left just the Radian. He's slowing down on his weight anyway (97% at 9 months, down to 65% at 12 months) so I'm not too worried about putting him in a 35lb seat.

Oh please lords of the True Fit, PLEASE increase the weight limit!! :bow:

LuvMyGirls

She is tall! Meredith is 4 weeks older and almost 3 inches shorter. She does have more space above her head in the True Fit, but looking at the way her legs are in the pics, she has considerably more leg room in the Radian.

Maedze

Hopefully by the time it becomes an issue there will be more, awesomer options.

Please, The First Years, hear my prayers!

Mommy0608

She is tall! Meredith is 4 weeks older and almost 3 inches shorter. She does have more space above her head in the True Fit, but looking at the way her legs are in the pics, she has considerably more leg room in the Radian.

Yes, she's quite a string bean! She might have a tad more leg room in the Radian, mainly because of the low sides, but she does have lots in the True Fit... I wouldn't say it's a huge difference. She has never complained at all about leg room, and has found many positions for her legs in the True Fit - folded, straight up, hanging over the side, etc.

The True Fit has MUCH more leg room than the Britax convertibles, that's for sure. I stuck her in a Marathon one day in the spring and she looked stuffed in there (plus she had pretty much outgrown it by height anyway).

Looking at my first pic of her in the True Fit, I can see where you'd get the idea she doesn't have much leg room... she had her legs folded up, so you could see her knee sticking up there. If you look at my signature picture, you can get a better idea of the leg room. :)

AtTheSouthDam

Wow! Not at the difference but she is getting tall! DD1's head barely clears that red "head rest limit" line :rolleyes: She's a doll, I love that smile :D

Mommy0608

Yeah... she just had a big growth spurt recently, both legs AND torso! Have to go buy her all new shirts for school because they are suddenly too short. The pants she had (4 slims) fit great though. I was rolling the cuffs a little but now she can wear them unrolled.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Hey, Jenny. Is there any way you could add the complete air pics to that mix? I would love to see the head room difference there between the truefit and the radian and the CA. I have an average a bit longer torsoed 2.5 year old still rear facing at ~29 pounds and 37 inches, and a long torsoed 10 month old that is 29 inches and 22 pounds (at last check). My long torsoed almost 4 year old:eek: outgrew a dc rf at 25 months when she hit 33 pounds and 36.5 inches. She is now over 40 pounds and 41?+ inches. And has outgrown the dc completely. About 6 months ago.

Ack, that was wordy. Just want to see if you can add the complete air pics for reference!

Mommy0608

Hey, Jenny. Is there any way you could add the complete air pics to that mix? I would love to see the head room difference there between the truefit and the radian and the CA.

Sure! I'll add them to the original post in this thread. I don't think I have one showing her with the headrest in the highest position, but I'll add the best I have. :)

Amaris

Has there been any mention of the true fit going to 40lbs rf'ing? I would love to have that shell height for Kaitlin, but I'm thinking I'm going to need the 40lb limit unless she slows down on weight gain in the near future. Right now I am weighing her daily and she's 30-31lbs fully clothed. Our marathon is 33lbs, and I've gone back and forth on ordering a radian for the past 2 weeks. I want to, but I don't want to!

Jennifer mom to my 7

Thanks, Jenny! I appreciate it. Darn, the complete air is still on my list. Just not sold on the radian, and I think I want/need the 40 pound limit to get to "my" minimum of 3 years old. sigh.

NannyMom

Thanks for the pics. But it would have been nice to see pics with Jessi buckled in the RN :) I know Sofi tends to shrink when buckled, allowing more room above her head.

My TF is going in the mail tomorrow in exchange for a Radian.

Mommy2Marcus

GREAT Pictures. Thanks for the comparison. My MR is fraying, so I am trying to decide what I am going to do right now. We are NOT happy with our TF, have never seen a Radian, & the CA is to expensive. So I am going to need to decide what I need to do. I might be looking for a Radian to try it soon. Thanks!

BTW: Jessie is an absolute DOLL! I can not believe how big she has gotten! It seems like just yestersay that she was a tiny little bitty thing in the EFTA!

Mommy0608

Has there been any mention of the true fit going to 40lbs rf'ing?

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. I think someone said they called Learning Curve and they said there are no plans for it. Can't remember where I may have read that... :confused:

Thanks, Jenny! I appreciate it. Darn, the complete air is still on my list. Just not sold on the radian, and I think I want/need the 40 pound limit to get to "my" minimum of 3 years old. sigh.

Well, if you need maximum height AND 40lbs, it might be worth trying the Complete Air. Have you played with it yet?

Thanks for the pics. But it would have been nice to see pics with Jessi buckled in the RN :) I know Sofi tends to shrink when buckled, allowing more room above her head.

My TF is going in the mail tomorrow in exchange for a Radian.

Yeah, I tried to get her to buckle but she didn't want to. I DID make sure she was sitting properly in the seat though and not sitting on top of the crotch buckle. I highly doubt she'd shrink much if I buckled her.

GREAT Pictures. Thanks for the comparison. My MR is fraying, so I am trying to decide what I am going to do right now. We are NOT happy with our TF, have never seen a Radian, & the CA is to expensive. So I am going to need to decide what I need to do. I might be looking for a Radian to try it soon. Thanks!

BTW: Jessie is an absolute DOLL! I can not believe how big she has gotten! It seems like just yestersay that she was a tiny little bitty thing in the EFTA!

Thanks! She's still super skinny, she just got a LOT taller! What issues are you having with your True Fit? I know there's no perfect seat for everyone... I do love my True Fit, but that doesn't mean everyone else will. Maybe you could post a thread asking if anyone near you has a Radian you could try? Or perhaps the SK website has a store listing for your area? Hopefully you can find one to play with before you have to decide what to do. What about the EFTA, you have one of those don't you? I think it's shell height is probably similar to the Radian (just a bit shorter maybe), but of course it only has a 35lb RF limit like the True Fit.

jess71903

Ambassador
Man, this makes me 2nd guess getting a Radian for my guy instead of just getting another TF. I didn't realize there was that much difference. I agree- a 40lb TF would be my perfect seat!

Mommy0608

Man, this makes me 2nd guess getting a Radian for my guy instead of just getting another TF. I didn't realize there was that much difference. I agree- a 40lb TF would be my perfect seat!

I'm sure it depends on the child, but for Jessica it really was quite a difference. How much does Gage weigh now?

PHaley

If I can hold out for a decent sale I am almost positive I'll get a CA over the TF if youre saying the usability is the same height wise but you gain 5#s! I still want an XT though so ??? Your daughter is adorable and a great model :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thanks for those great pics! I guess the Radian is out for us but the Complete Air looks awesome!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC