How long would keep your preschooler / younger child ERFing?

How long would you keep you keep your preschooler / younger child ERFing?

• 3yrs

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • 3.5yrs

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • 4yrs

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • 4.5yrs

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • 5yrs

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • 5.5yrs

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 6yrs

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • 6+yrs

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other Please explain

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

swtgi1982

This is assuming that you have a seat that would still fit with (assuming a small child / taller shell seat).

ADS

Maedze

To a minimum of four, and after that on a case by case basis.

I don't think there's any real benefit to rearfacing beyond 4-5 years.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
N is 4y9m and RF in a Radian80. He's 37lbs right now. I'm hoping to get him to 5.5 and move straight to a booster.

LuvMyGirls

Meredith is 3 yrs and almost 3 mths rear-facing in a Radian80 and an XT. I voted 4.5 years, but I really don't know how much longer. She's got 10 pounds to go in her seats, so I just don't think about it.

Citrine

I checked 3.5yr. My older daughter would have never made it that far, she is tall. My 2yr 11mo old is only 30lbs and has lots of room above her head before she needs to be turned around. She rides in a Britax wizard with a 33lb rf limit. I was thinking I would turn her next month when she turns 3 and for our road trip. I dont think I am ready for her to ff yet. It scares me to death. Joel was 34lbs when he had his accident and my daughter is 30lbs maybe 31lbs on a good day.

LuvMyGirls

I checked 3.5yr. My older daughter would have never made it that far, she is tall. My 2yr 11mo old is only 30lbs and has lots of room above her head before she needs to be turned around. She rides in a Britax wizard with a 33lb rf limit. I was thinking I would turn her next month when she turns 3 and for our road trip. I dont think I am ready for her to ff yet. It scares me to death. Joel was 34lbs when he had his accident and my daughter is 30lbs maybe 31lbs on a good day.

I agree with you on keeping her rear-facing, but I would also like to point out that Joel was 34 pounds at only 18 mths. I think his age had more to do with his injury than his weight.

AtTheSouthDam

I checked five for my current RF child. With DD1 I would ave liked to RF her longer. She 30# at 2 years, the limits of her CS. But I'll admit, I caved under family pressure and a rather pitiful Pedi and turned her at 20 lbs, 13 months.
Wih DD2 falling a full ten pounds under DD1's curve, and knowing even more now than I did then I think I would like to make it to boostering age for DD2 which will hopefully be around 5 or 6. If she is under 40# at kindergarten though, I will probably still harness her but I will FF if she desires. The plus side it, we ride bikes to school so she won't know how the other kids ride unless it becomes playground discussion :D

Andie

I checked 4-4.5, I think that is a good goal for us, CJ is small, 20lb @ 20 months. I may RF him longer if he still fits.

fyrfightermomma

I could RF for eons if i wanted, but i dont. 4 years old is my max for American seats with my kids. I have leggy kids(for example my DD is 41" but only has a 12" torso) and they just plain dont fit by 4ish even though they have plenty of roomsbove their heads. When my dd was 4 we turned her even though she was only 24 pounds. Age matters to me more than size (same with boosters) and 4 was pretty much where research showed the benefit. So for convience sake i turn them by age 4. Luckily DD2 will weigh much more than DD1 did at 4 and i wont feel as bad :p

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would take her wishes and my convenience into consideration around age 4 -- if everyone was happy RFing we'd keep doing it, but I would be okay turning for personal reasons at 4 and 30#.

Unless there were extenuating circumstances or I truly needed a new seat anyhow, I would not buy another seat to RF past about 3.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would have previously said 5-- but my 5 1/2 year old is BEGGING to RF. If I had a seat that could fit her and fit in my car, I'd RF her to 6 if she wanted to. I don't think there's much of a benefit after 5, but there's some benefit, just so slight as to be almost negligable, and she wants to. If she wanted to and fit, I'd do it until 6. At that point she'd hopefully be more ready for booster training, so that she could full-time booster by 7, so... Time to come out of the RF seat. ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I chose 4yrs old because that's around the time I expect to turn ds ff'ing. I had initially thought 3, but he turns 3 in October right before winter, then spring/summer we do more highway driving and I know he'll sleep better rf'ing, so it'll probably be around his 4th birthday that we turn him. He's just 30lbs now so I think we'll get another year before he hits 35lbs. Of course if he hits it sooner he'll go ff'ing then. :thumbsup:

MANDY1234

I guess my current RF around age 4 IDK though she is 3 yrs 3 month and already 36 lbs so I guess we will just keep an eye on her weight...

unless I can take hubby into that Britax 2-way that's on my "wish" list...:whistle:

skaterbabs

If my child fit rear facing, she would be rear facing. If we could afford one of the new vans that allow the captain's chairs to be used RF while the vehicle is moving, my boys would be RF (they pass the 5 step test in many vehicles now) and Joy would be in the FF seat in whatever seat she uses.

sunnymw

After age 4 it's all about leg room and his preferences. If we had Swedish style seats I'd RF to 6-7yo and then booster.

If I had a seat right now(Radian65/80/XT that RF to 40 orSaftey 1st Complete Air) I would Rearface logan in a heartbeat.

He is 4.5 years old and 40 inches, and teeny torso. He loved Rearfacing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC