Radian owners - any minivans not compatible?

Raegansmom4

Looks like I'm returning the MyRide and will be saving up for a Radian 65. We are also going to be purchasing a minivan after the first of the year - not a new one, in the range of 2002-2005 models. Are there any minivans that are not compatible for installing a Radian (mainly concerned about seatbelt installs since it will have to be installed w/ a seatbelt at some point anyway)? Will it work ok in my Taurus until we get a van? Thanks! I have zero Radian experience, so this is new territory. I'm in SD, so I live in the land of the AOE or Graco Comfortsport lol.

ADS

Raegansmom4

Thanks! Anyone know about the Dodge Grand Caravans? We are leaning toward it, but haven't ruled out the Honda Odyssey.

APT

The Stow N Go seats (2005+ only) have very reclined seat bottoms. I use a pool noodle RF my Snugride.

I had a 2005, 2007, and now a 2008, but no Radian.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i have an '06 dodge grand caravan and the get great radian instals on the capitins chairs and in i think the 3rd row was ok
rf and ff i have the stow and go also

April

The Radian is incompatible in the 2nd row with the Captain's chair versions of the Windstar due to the long rigid buckle stalks. Not sure how the buckle stalks are in the versions with the bench in the second row. I would think Judi show know though.FWIW, they install fine with LATCH in the 2nd row.

Other than that, the Windstar is great for installing car seats! 6 tether anchors! :love:

Lea_Ontario

I was not able to get a secure enough install using the seatbelt in the captains chair of a 2004 Montana.

I only tried once, and only got about 2 minutes though - it might be possible, just not easy.

Nisha

The Windstar third row is great for installing Radians - FF or RF either one, although if you're installing it RF you should be able to use LATCH in the second row anyway. If you get a windstar with a second row bench seat instead of capitans chairs, the Radians install just fine with a seatbelt.

LuvMyGirls

It installs like a dream rear-facing in my 2008 Town & Country (same as a Grand Caravan) Stow n Go seat. Rear-facing in the third row would depend on the second row passenger in front of it. It's so tall that the middle row seat can't be slid all the way back. I haven't tried it forward-facing in this van, but it was fine forward or rear-facing in my 2003 Grand Caravan middle row bucket seat.

christineka

I've only tried installing the radian in the third row in the sienna with seatbelts. It installs rear and forward facing quite easily on the 60 split. It doesn't on the 40 side with seatbelt. Not sure about latch.

Raegansmom4

Thanks everyone! I think we will avoid a Windstar then. It really wasn't our top choice anyway. Anyone put a Radian in a Honda Odyssey (2002-2005)?

jujumum

In the second row of a 2000-2003 MPV, I couldn't get a Radian XT to rf (latch or seatbelt) at an angle that was suitable to fit a passenger in the front seat. The van is pretty small compared to most and the seat forced the front seat up too much. The older style boot may have worked better?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=91230&highlight=radian

I was able to get a solid install ff in the 2nd and 3rd rows both with the latch & seatbelt.:)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Rearfacing, the Radian is incompatible with the Ford Freestar 2005. Forward facing it's a dream.

Not sure if you have a bench seat in the second row of your Freestar but I have an '05 Freestar with captain's chairs in the middle row and the Radian doe NOT install well FF in that seating position with seatbelt. RF or FF with LATCH is no problem for me in those seats but FF with seatbelt is a battle that most people will not win. FF in the 3rd row outboard with seatbelt is fine but there's no TA.

LEAW

I can install our Radian in every position in an 03 Grand Caravan FF and RF with seatbelts except the center 3rd row (50/50 split bench has plastic bits in the way).

It actually goes in better RF in the captains chairs with the seatbelt than LATCH.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The Radian is incompatible in the 2nd row with the Captain's chair versions of the Windstar due to the long rigid buckle stalks. Not sure how the buckle stalks are in the versions with the bench in the second row. I would think Judi show know though.FWIW, they install fine with LATCH in the 2nd row.

Other than that, the Windstar is great for installing car seats! 6 tether anchors! :love:

I actually installed RFing in a 1999 Windstar, captains chair, no problem. Took me about 45 second. I have a 2000 Windstar. No issues. I twist the belt stalk, but that is it.

BudgieStew

Does not install well by seatbelt or Latch in a 2001 Toyota Sienna on the second row bench FF. I do seem to have an acceptable FF install in the third row and it escapes me if it was seatbelt or Latch though. I seriously want to replace the Radians that I use in MIL Sienna with something else it is that bad.

Now just in case you end up considering other newer vans I will tell you what I have found that the Radian installs well in.
2007 Ford Freestar installs like a dream both RF/FF by Latch in the second row bucket seats. Every seat I owned installed well and easily in that van. Third row FF centre required a bit more work with the Radian.

2008 Chev Uplander second row bucket seats FF with Latch required more work but was acceptable.

2008 Dodge Caravan second row bucket FF with Latch acceptable install but needed some elbow grease.

I think I was spoiled with how easy it was to install seats in our 2007 Freestar/2005 Focus as anything that required more then 4 minutes to install made me annoyed.

That is why I was totally surprised by the fact that I required DHs help installing the Radian in my 2009 Ford Flex with Latch in the second row "bucket" seats.
First time ever I needed someone with more strength but after his help it installed rock solid. Of course the Marathon installed like a dream FF by Latch in the second row seats and the EFTA was also an acceptable install.

Nisha

I actually installed RFing in a 1999 Windstar, captains chair, no problem. Took me about 45 second. I have a 2000 Windstar. No issues. I twist the belt stalk, but that is it.

Did you cut the plastic off of the belt stalk to twist it? I don't know about the captains chairs in the 99 but my 00 has plastic casing over the belt stalks that I've been afraid to cut off to see if I can twist what's underneath or not!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No, I didn't. It was Scatterbunny's Windstar. I only tried RFing. We were blocking traffic. I whipped the seat in like no time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC