Seat recommendations for small 5yo??

diaperjoys

My nephew is just growing out of his current seat, and his parents really want to find a "good, safe, comfortable" seat for him. They don't like the Nautilus, and are leaning strongly toward a Regent. What other good options are out there?

He's 5yo, torso is a little under 15", and he's in the 35-40lb range. Overall his frame is pretty slight.

They drive a GMC Yukon 2000.

Thanks!

ADS

mykidsmylife

Britax Frontier is a good option. We are thinking this for when my 3 yr old goes facing foward.
It harnesses to 80lbs but is about as tall as the Nautilus.
Makes a good booster as well.

Maedze

There's nothing wrong with the Regent, other than that it's seriously overkill in this situation. If they don't like the Nautilus (why not?) they could also consider the Frontier.

diaperjoys

There's nothing wrong with the Regent, other than that it's seriously overkill in this situation. If they don't like the Nautilus (why not?) they could also consider the Frontier.

The grandparents car has a Nautilus, which the child rides in often. They say it isn't very comfy for him (not sure why), and they describe it as big and awkward.

They like everything they read about the Boulevard (makes them feel pretty safe), but growth room doesn't make it a good investment.

mykidsmylife

The grandparents car has a Nautilus, which the child rides in often. They say it isn't very comfy for him (not sure why), and they describe it as big and awkward.

They like everything they read about the Boulevard (makes them feel pretty safe), but growth room doesn't make it a good investment.

If the Nautilus is big and akward the Regent is even bigger. LOL.

My son outgrew the Blvd at 5.5. Definetly not a good investment for extended harnessing.

I would highly suggest the Frontier to them

monstah

I agree. The Frontier sounds like the best option that will be worth the money. It also makes a great high back booster. :thumbsup:

And if comfort is the #1 concern and he still fits in the Boulevard, would anyone consider the Signo? Doesn't it have a redonkulously high harness height? And people rave about it as a FF seat. But you wouldn't get as much bang for your buck with it, since it doesn't turn into a booster.

(What? Redonkulous isn't a word??) :p

Maedze

Hah, the Regent is bigger and awkwarder than the Nautilus. Is the child saying he's uncomfortable, or are they projecting, because they're used to seeing the fit of convertibles?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
To be fair, the Regent may be just as big and awkward as the GN, but once it's installed, it has a much lower profile. If they've only ever seen one installed in a car, I can see how they'd consider it "smaller and less awkward."

momofmandp

To be fair, the Regent may be just as big and awkward as the GN, but once it's installed, it has a much lower profile. If they've only ever seen one installed in a car, I can see how they'd consider it "smaller and less awkward."
I agree. And IMO, the Regent is easier to get in and out of than the Nautilus and the Frontier. FWIW, my ds1 prefers the Regent over both the Nautilus and Frontier.

amy919

Very true. My oldest loved her "throne" AKA Regent. She preferred it over her beloved Cowmoo Marathon because it wasn't a "baby seat" with a big high base. I didn't think she'd ever give it up...until she sat in the GN in Daddy's car. She decided the headwings were the greatest thing ever and we replaced the Regent with another Nautilus in my car because the Regent is one seat you do not want to keep installing, removing and re-installing.

sirrahn

A Radian might be another option. It sits low, has high harness slots, has memory foam in the seat for comfort and isn't bulky at all.

Whether it would be worth it though depends on how long they intend to harness and perhaps if there's a younger sibling to pass it down to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC