Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member toothfairymama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    56

    Something I saw at the grocery store tonight...is this okay?

    I'm pretty sure it's not but I'm not a tech and I just wanted to ask. There was a woman putting her 2 girls into the middle seat of a minivan and she had the kind that you can turn the chairs rear-facing. So her younger daughter was getting into a convertible car seat that was installed in a rear-facing seat, therefore the car seat was facing the rear of the vehicle. I'm almost positive car seat manuals say not to install car seats in rear-facing vehicle seats...don't they?

    But this made me think of something else...would kids not in car seats (like 10 yo+ kids who are no longer in boosters) be safer in those rear-facing captains chairs?
    Daughter - 5 years, 43 pounds, 44 inches - Britax Regent and Graco Nautilus in a 2003 Toyota Camry and Graco TurboBooster in a 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Near the Cascades!
    Posts
    1,665

    Re: Something I saw at the grocery store tonight...is this okay?

    You are correct, they cannot be installed on rfing seats. Every car seat manual says that and I would bet the van's manual does as well.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

  4. #3
    Carseat Crazy Jonah Baby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    728

    Re: Something I saw at the grocery store tonight...is this okay?

    The woman must have really thought this through.

    Everything I have heard says NO - you just really shouldn't do that.

    I wonder if it was parental laziness regarding seat installs? FFing seats are often easier than installing RFing.


    Don't try it at home.
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

  5. #4
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    371

    Re: Something I saw at the grocery store tonight...is this okay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Baby View Post
    I wonder if it was parental laziness regarding seat installs? FFing seats are often easier than installing RFing.

    I'd wager it's just parental unawareness ...

  6. #5
    CPS Advocate
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Invisible, but right behind you
    Posts
    9,820

    Re: Something I saw at the grocery store tonight...is this okay?

    Quote Originally Posted by toothfairymama View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's not but I'm not a tech and I just wanted to ask. There was a woman putting her 2 girls into the middle seat of a minivan and she had the kind that you can turn the chairs rear-facing. So her younger daughter was getting into a convertible car seat that was installed in a rear-facing seat, therefore the car seat was facing the rear of the vehicle. I'm almost positive car seat manuals say not to install car seats in rear-facing vehicle seats...don't they?

    But this made me think of something else...would kids not in car seats (like 10 yo+ kids who are no longer in boosters) be safer in those rear-facing captains chairs?
    1. No, the seat cannot be installed on a rear facing vehicle seat. (Although it would be great if they were tested that way!)

    2. Yes, for older kids not in child restraints, those rear facing seats are great!

  7. #6
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    205

    Re: Something I saw at the grocery store tonight...is this okay?

    I think all european group 1 seats (20-40lbs) are allowed to be used on rear-facing van seats.
    It is interessting that it is not allowed for the US seats.
    Joy

  8. #7
    Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    21,292

    Re: Something I saw at the grocery store tonight...is this okay?

    Quote Originally Posted by joyride View Post
    I think all european group 1 seats (20-40lbs) are allowed to be used on rear-facing van seats.
    It is interessting that it is not allowed for the US seats.
    Joy
    Yeah, it is interesting. Probably based on nothing but fear of the unknown and a rigid set of testing standards (we have one type of crash bench, a lap belt or LATCH, it's forward facing, and seats have to be tested on that at a certain speed). Not that I'm saying we should go against the manuals here in the US, of course....
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

  9. #8
    CPS Technician NannyMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    7,366

    Re: Something I saw at the grocery store tonight...is this okay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Baby View Post
    The woman must have really thought this through.

    Everything I have heard says NO - you just really shouldn't do that.

    I wonder if it was parental laziness regarding seat installs? FFing seats are often easier than installing RFing.


    Don't try it at home.
    I think it's the opposite. Mom thinks the kids are big enough and should be FF. But the kids think it's fun to ride backwards, that's a nice benefit of the van. They turn backwards, so why not use it. Before I knew better, I probobly would have done the same thing.

    But now I know better. And I never will. Though a child that can pass the 5 step test, or an adult...that's another story
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Similar Threads

  1. LATCH commercial at grocery store
    By LISmama810 in forum Carseat Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
  2. Convo with store employee tonight...
    By snowbird25ca in forum Carseat Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 09:30 AM
  3. CPS horror at the grocery store....
    By Dsunny1 in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 08:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •