darn boosters that say 30 pounds and up

laccaycol

:thumbsdown: My sisters son is 3 months younger than my son that is 2 1/2. Her son wont be 3 till next year and she said but the booster said from 30 pounds up ugh why why and where she has her son in her truck is a lap belt. So i showed her the nautilus and she now likes that :thumbsup: but she was tellin me when she was at target they didnt have any seat that went FF passed 35-40 pounds lol i said umm then you were reading how long they RF to. On targets website the booster she was lookin at says from newborn and up :eek: its the evenflo. Will see now what she gets hopefully its the nautilus.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I hope she gets the Nautilus! That'd be perfect.

Some kids need the 30 pound seats. Piper didn't hit 40 until she was seven years old. So she needed a booster rated from 30 pounds because she started booster training at 4.5 years old and about 31 pounds.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wish they had just big huge emblazoned age limits instead of weight limits. Or weight limits vaguely resembling the dummies they actually use in testing (34 pounds for the 3 yo dummy...).
If you didn't even have a choice to put your kid in a booster before 40, would it even be an issue or concern? I mean, if 40 is the limit, like in Canada, isn't there something TO it?

Just pondering...

Anyway, I heard this couple yesterday doing the same thing, the Marathon 'bruised' their kid (um, did you take the foam out? or is there a book stuck in there?? huh?) and they wanted something 'smaller' and 'he's almost 30 pounds' so the Big Kid seemed perfect. He was not even 3 :(:eek:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I gotta say, though, some boosters should not have a 30 lb. limit. Like the Cosco HighRise etc. Every time I see a 32 lb. kid in one of those (their minimum is 30 lbs. and 1 year :eek: ) I want to file a complaint with NHTSA. They DO NOT FIT smaller kids.

Maedze

In my head I think at least 40 if they are four, but if they are six, thirty is an acceptable minimum.

This, however, is too convoluted to put on a box.

DahliaRW

But, I'd rather see a 30lb 4yo in a booster than 30lb 2 or 3 yo. I'd be ok if they just changed the age to 4. It would help a lot, considering.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How about 5? I don't meet a lot of booster-ready 4 year olds (or ones that can be trained to be booster-ready on trips longer than about 15 minutes.) Maybe it's something in the water where I live, but really, I think I've met, maybe 2.

Jonah Baby

Ugh...boosters...

DH's friend put his son in a Graco HBB when he grew out of his infant seat.
Yes, the ones without a harness...you know, using a seatbelt twice the size of the now 2 year old?!
And get this...he NEVER uses a lap/shoulder belt. He puts him in a lap belt only.

This friend is not allowed to ride in our vehicles without using one of our spare seats. Rarely will I even let him over the house. We've offered seats to him, gave him lots of information, showed him crash tests, and he just doesn't care.

He says "this seat is so much easier."

What do authorities do for this type of parental neglect over in Sweden? I wish the US would catch up.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What do authorities do for this type of parental neglect over in Sweden? I wish the US would catch up.

From what AD has posted, there are no carseat laws in Sweden. Safety is simply so highly valued and so much a part of the culture, that erf'ing is the normal and expected thing to do.

Over there the norm is to rf to age 4 and then move directly to a booster. As for if authorities would get involved for boostering a small kid, I have no clue... I'd guess that it's a problem rarely encountered though because of the societal value system.

DahliaRW

How about 5? I don't meet a lot of booster-ready 4 year olds (or ones that can be trained to be booster-ready on trips longer than about 15 minutes.) Maybe it's something in the water where I live, but really, I think I've met, maybe 2.

I have one of those rare ones. He's so motivated to NOT sit in a harnessed seat he sits perfectly in his booster. And he knows the minute he starts to dink around I'll make him ride in the nautilus (I did it once early on when he was begging to use the booster full time and have had no issues since!)

I have that 4 year old(who would of sat in one perfectly at 2) who would sit nice in a booster. He loves being bigger than he is and really really wants a booster.
He has sat in a booster a few times and sits PERFECTLY-um, better than my 6 1/2 year old. (Don't worry, my 4 1/2 year old is harnessed).
He is 35 pounds. I have a feeling we will need a booster rated 30 pounds and up when we booster train at 5. ;-)

I know what you mean though. My daycare parent thinks a low back is ok for their 2 year old because it says 1 year and 30 pounds :mad:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, but I haven't met your kids. ;) I know a major factor in it too is parents being willing to teach the kids ahead of time what is expected, and enforce it during the ride. I have a friend whose 4 year old I bought a booster for, because he had been riding perfectly in one since 3 (he is a large kid, there were not a lot of HWH options at the time, and she had no money for a seat. :( By the time the Nauti came on the market, he had almost outgrown it-- at 4, so by the time she could have saved the $150, he would have had no use for it. I got a Monterey for $70 and it was much better than the Ambassador he was in. :thumbsup:) I've met another 4 year old who was NOT in a booster full-time but could have been, he sat so beautifully in it. Again, his mother was willing to train him what was expected of him, and did.

So I do think there's kind of a feedback loop as well-- the kids who have parents more likely to properly booster train may be ready younger (MAY-- my kid would not do it even now, and she's 5 1/2!) and perhaps kids who are better behaved in the car may be more likely to be taught younger how to sit properly. Does that even make sense? LOL, I'm tired...

Maedze

It makes sense.

I started training my son literally the weekend he turned four (I had significant motivation, because the school bus uses only BPBs and installing the Radian was a huge PITA).

Anyhow, he was certainly ready to be trained, and he did well, but I had to coach him, remind him and show him, and if *I* hadn't done it, he wouldn't have been able to do it either.

Madeline410

Someone I know has a 20 month old that is 39 pounds. She knew he was about to outgrow his seat so she got him something in his weight range - an Evenflo Big Kid booster! Thank goodness she asked me if it was ok to use before she put him in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC