what is "booster training" and "good booster behavior?"

serinat

i've seen these terms used as i've searched the boards, but i can't find a good set of guidelines for when a child is ready for a booster, or how to go about booster training. it would be helpful to know what behaviors to teach, and why they are safer.

i tried searching, but didn't find what i was looking for. is there a thread you can point me to? or just a quick list you can type out for me? thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Booster training is just teaching a child to use a booster. It and booster readiness kind of go hand in hand.

Generally booster training is not an every day thing. It's for kids like your six year old who ride in a Regent full time, but maybe need to ride with a friend in a booster now and then. So before you just chuck her in someone else's car in a booster you get a booster and ride her around town in it now and then. See how she sits. Here's the booster readiness. If she sits up properly, doesn't lean, doesn't reach, and can stay awake for the entire ride and not slump, she's booster ready, even if she doesn't move into one full time. So then you can take little rides around town and get her used to it (some kids who have been harnessed for life don't move a muscle, others hate the feeling of freedom, others look like Houdini and need to be reharnessed for every trip). Then you know when she goes off with a friend she's learned how to use her booster properly. Maybe you teach her to lock the belt on herself for a little added reminder. But she knows what's expected of her in her booster. Otherwise if you send her off she may freak out if she doesn't like the feeling, she may follow what the others kids in the other car do and lean all around and look behind her, or she may not be ready in any way under any conditions, to sit in a booster.

There isn't really a checklist. Most of us kind of eyeball it, as it were. Do they sit properly, not lean, not sleep, and stay that way for the entire ride? If so then they're probably ok to start booster training if they're over five years old (and preferably 40 pounds, but there are the tiny ones who need boosters now and then, though not full time).

Wendy

myliljunebugs

I am booster training my 4 year old and "re" booster training my 7 year old. Basically in my mom's vehicle (I live with her for the moment) we have boosters for each child. They are only with her for short distances rarely and both she and I are present. I keep an eye out to make sure they are riding properly and correct misbehaviors when they happen. That is the training part, the stuff I'm looking for is:

sitting up straight
staying buckled (never had this issue but it is on the list anyway)
keeping the shoulder belt on properly
not leaning out of the seat

HTH!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC