Holy tall shells, Batman!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I finally got to see an OnBoard 35 in person next to a SR32. It has a taller shell! I first put my (outgrown it) baby in both to see which was less outgrown-- she still had shell over her head in the OnBoard! :jaw: Wow! Not enough, but still. I measured, and the shell is about an inch taller than the SR32 (though padding could have confounded the result a bit.) The base wasn't as nice as the SR32 and nowhere near as nice as the KeyFit, but it wasn't horrible, despite the weird lockoff-thingy (is that a lockoff? There was no manual with the seat I looked at...)

I also saw a CA in person for the first time, and my 5 year old (admittedly the shortest-torsoed of my children, for her height) could use the 2nd slots rear-facing. :eek: Not great for small babies but hey, really great for older kids! I think this is the seat most likely to get darned near every kid, even the skinny tall ones, to the rear- and forward-facing limits by height.

Dorel is doing some things pretty right, even if they do others wrong.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

the onboard is pretty nice, eh? especially for its price point. that is a lock-off. :) It took me a minute, but I liked it once I had the "aha!" moment.

I still haven't made it to BRU to check out the Complete Air.

Mommy2Marcus

AWSOME! I am thinking that my next baby might be getting a OnBoard 35 for the price point. However once I get pregnant, I want to find one to check out 1st!

TheNimpsGirl

I hadn't heard of that seat till your post and I can't find any reviews. So I'm assuming it's new (I feel like all of a sudden there are so many new ones popping up I feel like I'm missing some) or? I like that it comes in orange and lime and the price point isn't that bad (cheaper on some sites than the SR32).

What store did you find it in?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually, the OnBoard has been out for quite a while. At least six months to a year? Can't remember. I recommended it for my cousin's baby (she is very small, I knew she'd have a small baby, possibly under 4 lbs.) and she bought it. :thumbsup:

I haven't found it in store before now but Babies R Us has it-- not in the car seats though. It's in the Bertini travel system.

Also, that lockoff? It was on one of the "Eddie Bauer" bases sold separately, too (though they didn't have the seat to go with it.) Does that mean the base was for the Sure Fit (Eddie Bauer branded version of the OnBoard?) They didn't actually have the box and base on the shelf for that, it was just on the "extra bases" display shelf, with a tag that said "Eddie Bauer."

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Dorel infant base situation gives me a headache. I'm pretty sure the EB's fit on the On Board base and vice versa, though. And then I've seen people try to put cheaper EB's in that base, and sometimes they fit and sometimes they don't? It's really annoying and bound to be unsafe for someone who gets it wrong (which would be most people...sigh...)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes. I've started to see the same thing with the SnugRide/SnugRide 32 base issue from Graco. Why do they not think of these things before selling the base separately, or while branding their seats, or something?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC