… some questions about the Britax Hi-Way … or: what car seat would you buy?

lenats31

Re: … some questions about the Britax Hi-Way … or: what car seat would you buy?

I took Joy's point to be less about the time and more about the "2 hand motions." It seems to me obvious that an RF seat that requires the seatbelt, tethers, a foot prop, and so forth is a much more difficult install than an FF seat. More steps = more chances for error.

Aha, yes you are right:)

Still, the RF seats manuals are easy to read and have lots of photos, which is very helpfull. They really have come a long way with this. The sad thing is that they still have this bad reputation = difficult install which scares a lot of parents they buy FF seats instead - BEFORE they have even seen an RF seat IRL. That´s a shame, because they really aren´t bad at all - especially because the staff in the stores that stock them have been instructed on how to correctly install them in parent´s own car, and will help parent with this. Demonstration of a seat in the buy´s car is essential, since many walk away with a seat that might not fit in the car, much less know just how tight it should be installed, no twisted straps etc. etc. That´s my experience anyway, when I hear an FF seat being demonstrated in the store in DK. I have overheard them many times, and only once did I hear "do not twist the straps" I have never heard anyone say, "pull the seatbelt tight" in case of a seatbelt installed car seat.

It is the companies that make the RF seat that instruct staff on how to install them.

Lena

Lena

ADS

InternationalMama

AD, if you weren't referring specifically to the ADAC then it was misleading that immediately following Joy's description of the ADAC's testing procedure you wrote:
You can call it whatever you want. The rear facing seats are hated by German testers without good reasons.

You can see how one might think you were referring to the ADAC. Probably I just read that into it because I am unfamiliar with German testing organizations other than the ADAC.

Lena, thanks for the info. That's interesting that the car seat companies instructing the staff on installing the seats.

I read today that Volvo will soon have or does have the Multitech available in Germany. Can you buy that seat from them even if you don't own a Volvo? I would assume so, but just curious. I'm just adding to my list of all possible ERF seats in Germany!

lenats31

Yes, you can order it from Volvo even tough you don´t own a Volvo car.

Lena

T

tomrose

I think somebody wanted a report, after I got the seat. So, just to finish this neverending thread off, here's a short one:

Delivery from Sweden was unbelievably fast (faster than if I had ordered it in Germany). Service and helpfulness (carseat.se) were brilliant. And the seat is installed now, nice and tight. And it is pretty small for a rf-seat, that's true. I did not find the installation that idiot-proof, though. It did take some time and nerves, but worked out fine in the end. As always – once you know it, it's indeed very easy.

I am very happy with this seat (a black Britax Hi-Way) and would buy it again.

Marie

InternationalMama

Thanks for the update, Marie. How's the fit in a Golf? You installed it in the front seat, right? How do you think the fit would be in the back?

Any particular installation tips you have to offer? I decided to order this seat for my DS so here's hoping I can get it installed too.

T

tomrose

It fits very good in a Golf. I installed it in the front seat, but it should fit equally well in a back seat. Installation tips: Crossing the tether belts underneath the seat, and tightening every part of the car seat belt properly.
(And I just realize that its not so easy to upload a photo, so I give up here.)

Thanks everybody.

Marie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC