… some questions about the Britax Hi-Way … or: what car seat would you buy?

T

tomrose

Can anyone recommend the BRITAX HI-WAY?

Hi,

after a lot of research I am about to order a rear-facing car seat for my son (11 months), which is a very uncommon thing when you live in Germany: front-facing seats are omnipresent here, rear-facing ones virtually non-existent. Getting information about rear-facing car seats is really difficult over here (but I should not complain, the internet is brilliant for those kind of 'difficult questions'), nevertheless I think I have come to a conclusion right now:

the BRITAX HI-WAY car seat

However, I would feel more safe ordering it if I knew that my choice is really a good one: Are there any test results on this seat, has it been tested at all? And if anybody uses this seat, how content are you?
And some minor questions: This seat fits apparently in small cars (VW Golf), doesn't it? And you don't have to be an engineer to install it, have you? And does anybody know if BRITAX calls itself RÖMER in Germany?

In the hope of getting some answers
Marie

ADS

mykidsmylife

Re: Can anyone recommend the BRITAX HI-WAY?

I can only answer one question. Yes Britax is Romer here in Germany.
Have you spoken with Baby Waltz or another baby specialty store about ordering this seat? I am going to ask next week when I go as I am curious what they say. Hopefully someone can understand me.

T

tomrose

… some questions about the Britax Hi-Way … or: what car seat would you buy?

… as I didn't get much answers on my first post two days ago, I try again, with even more questions …

I am about to order a rear-facing car seat from Sweden for my 11-months-old son (we live in Germany, which is a front-facing-car-seat-country). After some research I thought the BRITAX HI-WAY might be a good choice. But I still have got some questions on which I didn't find proper answers yet:

Are there any test results on this seat, has it been tested at all? And if anybody uses this seat, how content are you?
Could an 11-months-old baby (weighing well over 9 kilos) sit in it already for a couple of hours or would you still use the baby-seat for longer journeys?
Can you use it (later) as a front-facing seat as well?
This seat fits apparently in small cars (VW Golf), doesn't it?

And … I just read in another thread that there seem to be better and cheaper seats than the Britax Hi-Way. Can anyone recommend something?! (I need a seat that fits into a small car, for 9-18 kilos.)

Grateful for answers would be
Marie

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Re: … some questions about the Britax Hi-Way … or: what car seat would you buy?

Hi, the forum tends to be slower on the weekends and you're also likely to get more of a response if we merge your two threads together and redirect the merged thread over to the International forum because this is a non-US carseat model. We'll leave a thread move redirect visible in the main Carseat forum for a few days so your thread will possibly catch more notice with its title visible in both Carseats and International.

finn

You should talk to adventuredad (carseat.se). We got our Multi Tech from him and we're very happy with both the service and the seat.

As far as I know all Swedish seats are designed to fit into small cars, the Hi-Way can only be used rear facing, from birth so I would think your 11 month old would be very comfy in it :)

mommycat

Gah, just lost a post. :( stupid mouse.

Ok.

Not sure on EU safety testing but it had to pass standards, so it has to be quite safe. FWIW, Britax tends to be a well-regarded brand.

I think your baby would be fine in it even for longer trips. Just make sure to choose an appropriate recline such that baby's head is not flopping down to his chest even when he is asleep.

The Hi-Way does NOT front face.

It appears that it does fit well in small cars. The description at the webshop linked below gives some examples of small cars that it will fit in.

Check out this webshop run by a member here, I think (but am not sure) that he writes his own, more informative descriptions than most retailers:
http://www.carseat.se/store.html

This thread may be useful, it describes some seats as well, including the Hi-Way:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=64693

I asked about European ERF seats here:
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=82737
and was pointed towards the TwoWay, and also the Britax First Class, which is not quite as extended in RF. I would prefer to be able to RF longer so the only reason I am hoping to get the First Class on my trip (another thread) is that it is local for my cousins to buy and I think cheaper? Haven't looked at the numbers in a while.

Hope that helps.

joyride

Hi,
the BRITAX HI-WAY car seat
It's a very good seat, only rear facing.
Good for small cars (the Graco Duologic is the only one that needs a little bit less room then the Hi-Way).
It is tested in sweden, but I can´t find it now. Was a good result imho.
Joy

InternationalMama

Are there any test results on this seat, has it been tested at all? And if anybody uses this seat, how content are you?
The Britax Hi-Way meets the EU standard for car seats, which is considered to be quite rigorous. Sweden is well-regarded for its comprehensive testing. It doesn't have quite as much SIP (side impact protection) as some other Swedish seats like the Multitech, but it would still be a very safe seat.

Could an 11-months-old baby (weighing well over 9 kilos) sit in it already for a couple of hours or would you still use the baby-seat for longer journeys?
This seat is rated to be used from birth so as Mommycat said I'm sure it will fit your 11-month-old just fine as long as you are careful to get the right recline.

Can you use it (later) as a front-facing seat as well?
No. If you want to use the seat later as a front facing seat your best option is probably the Britax Two-Way since it forward faces to 55lbs, which is a higher weight limit in a harness than any other seat in the EU.

This seat fits apparently in small cars (VW Golf), doesn't it?
According to their specs sheets, it will fit in a VW Golf and according to carseat.se it is a good choice for small cars.

And … I just read in another thread that there seem to be better and cheaper seats than the Britax Hi-Way. Can anyone recommend something?! (I need a seat that fits into a small car, for 9-18 kilos.)
Whether there are cheaper options really depends on how much you are paying for the seat. Price can vary a lot depending on where you are buying it from. Here is one thread with some suggestions for ERF car seats available in Germany. I think the cheapest ERF seat available in Germany is the Concord Ultimax which is a convertible that rear faces to 13kg and then forward faces to 18kg and sells for about 180 Euros. It obviously doesn't rear face for as long as the Hi Way however (25kg). If you want to try out the seat in your car or get help installing it I know there is a showroom that sells the Recaro Polaric (RF to 18kg), but that's the -only- seat that rear faces beyond 13kg that I've ever heard of anyone seeing in person...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

lenats31

I can only answer one question. Yes Britax is Romer here in Germany.
Have you spoken with Baby Waltz or another baby specialty store about ordering this seat? I am going to ask next week when I go as I am curious what they say. Hopefully someone can understand me.

You would be hard-pressed to find a store in Germany with just a little knowledge about the RF seats. It would be easier to find a needle in a big haystack.:). There are only very few seats available in Germany and the stores that stock them are far apart. The Hi-Way isn´t one of the seats.

Hi-Way is a rearfacing only car seat.

InternationalMama

You would be hard-pressed to find a store in Germany with just a little knowledge about the RF seats. It would be easier to find a needle in a big haystack.:). There are only very few seats available in Germany and the stores that stock them are far apart. The Hi-Way isn´t one of the seats.

Along those lines, I e-mailed Graco.de and asked them if any retailers in Germany sell the Duologic car seat (RF to 18kg) they have on their website and they said there isn't a single retailer for the seat in Germany, but that I could special order the seat from Sweden through them for an astronomical price tag.

joyride

You would be hard-pressed to find a store in Germany with just a little knowledge about the RF seats.
Especially Britax, because only Römer is allowed to sell Britax in Germany and they only have the First Class (rf 13kg) in program.
Babyone orders HTS BeSafe on demand for testing.

For internet order, only the Britax Two Way is cheaper, but it is rated from 9kg up and not really good for a small baby. How old is your child?

Joy

Adventuredad

Hi-Way is the most popular rear facing seat in Sweden due to being very easy to install, light weight, needing little space, and fitting virtually every vehicle.

I use this seat for my 3-year old daughter, installed in front seat of a Volvo V70 (Airbag deactivated with key/switch), and previously used it for my son who made it Rf to just over 4 years despite being quite tall.

Seat shell is of average height, 57 cm, 22.5 inches, which is plenty to rear facie most kids to age 4 or longer. Other Swedish seats with the same seat shell height are Maxi Cosi Mobi and Izikid (X2 and X1 Isofix).

The seat is light weight and very easy to handle. Angle is easily adjusted withy a metal bar under front of seat. Installation is very easy just like the other Swedish seats. Secure car seat with seat belt and then anchor the two tether straps from the back of the car seat to a solid point at base of front seat. That's it.

Hi-Way will fit large and small cars. DuoLogic is the most compact rear facing seat around, amazing since it's both Isofix and seat belt installation, and Hi-Way is almost as compact. These two seats are very popular due to allowing rear facing to 4+ but still fitting almost any car.

Side impact protection is great since the seat is nicely curved. Angle is not adjustable with a handle but it's easy to find a good angle. I've got my seat installed with enough recline to let my daughter sleep but still upright enough so she can see what's going on.

Annika is now 3 year old and 95 cm tall (38 inches). She still has lots of space left to grow in this seat.

There is not much testing done on this seat and that goes for most Swedish rear facing seats. Most other countries hate rear facing seats so there has previously been little interest in testing them. This is now changing fast, especially in Germany where there has been a huge increase in interest for rear facing seats.

German testers hate the Swedish seats since they don't like rar facing at all. This is quite funny and is often mentioned among people in the car seat environment.

This seat is as safe as the other rear facing sweat which means excellent. It allows long rear facing time and easy installation. There is no difference in safety between this seat any any of the other common rear facing Swedish seats.

Parents who like longer rear facing time and /or have tall kids go for Britax Two-Way or Britax Multi Tech. These two seats have a higher seat shell and are combination seats. They also allow forward facing until 25 kg. in later years. These seats are meant for mid size to larger cars but will also fit some smaller cars.

Hi-Way is far more common in Sweden while MT and TW are far more common outside Sweden.

Below you will find some (older) photo of my daughter in her Hi-Way. Last photo is of son and daughter rear facing in a smallish Opel Astra in Mexico. Please don't freak out about he front seat installation. Airbag is deactivated, installing a RF seat this way is a safe as the rear seat.

britaxhiway1.jpg

britaxhiway2.jpg

britaxhiway3.jpg

britaxhiway4.jpg

InternationalMama

Britax Two-Way or Britax Multi Tech. These two seats have a higher seat shell and are combination seats. They also allow forward facing until 25 kg.

The MT only forward faces to 18kg, right? Only the TWE can FF to 25kg.

Adventuredad

Both seat forward face to 25 kg. (55 lbs). Mt allow FF to 40 lbs wtih harness and 55 lbs with seat belt as a high back booster. Two-Way allow forward facing to 55 lbs both with harness and seat belt. It's the only seat in Europe which is approved FF to 55 lbs with harness (except some monster special needs seat)

InternationalMama

Both seat forward face to 25 kg. (55 lbs). Mt allow FF to 40 lbs wtih harness and 55 lbs with seat belt as a high back booster. Two-Way allow forward facing to 55 lbs both with harness and seat belt. It's the only seat in Europe which is approved FF to 55 lbs with harness (except some monster special needs seat)

Ah, okay, thanks, that makes sense.

T

tomrose

Thank you very much for all the answers!!
(Thanks also to the moderator for putting the threads together!)

I know that I can neither buy nor order a RF seat here in Germany, but I can order it from Sweden, can't I, and that's what I am going to do. The Britax Hi-Way. From www.carseat.se. (from 'adventuredad'??)

However, reading the answers makes me think again, a little. The Britax Two-Way? Rear-facing AND front-facing? But it is obviously not as small as the Hi-Way. And I should come to a decision, now, at last. I just wonder where the legs of older children stay in a RF seat, so changing it to a FF would be nice, though. (But I can imagine it a bit, thanks for the pictures! And I would also use the front seat, having no air-bag at all makes it easy …)

Thanks.
Marie

Adventuredad

I probably missed it but what car do you drive? Two-Way and Multi Tech are larger seats but still need surprisingly little space.

Kids who sit rear facing sit with bent legs. This is very safe and also comfortable. "where do the legs go?" is a common (and good ) question from parents. Many parents are worried and believe it's uncomfortable. It's extremely rare to have any children complain about leg pain in rear facing seats. It's far more common to have kids forward facing complain about legs falling asleep etc.

Below you will find Two-Way installed in a small Peugeot 207 (firts three photos) There are also a few photos of a Multi Tech "Marcel" installed in a mid size Peugeot 307 with a 5-year old in it. She's 118 cm tall and has a 47 cm torso. The last photos are of a Multi Tech Benno in a Volvo V70 and also a Hi-Way in a Volvo V70

tw1.jpg

tw2.jpg

tw3.jpg

Multi Tech:

mt1.jpg

mt2.jpg

mt3.jpg

mt4.jpg

mt5.jpg

mt6.jpg

mt7.jpg

hiway4.jpg

hiway5.jpg

T

tomrose

Thank you for all the photos! I am driving an (old) VW Golf.

And I have just decided the car seat question: I just ordered a Britax Hi-Way.
(I read somewhere that those combination seats are always somewhat a compromise … And when my son is about four years old I need another FF seat anyway.)

How much time I have spent on looking for a car seat, it's crazy. And the situation in Germany is very strange indeed. Big (testing-)organisations like the ADAC recommend RF seats on their website but test almost exclusively FF seats, not mentioning RF seats in those tests and the fact that you can't buy them in Germany. Some weeks ago, at the beginning of my research, I almost ordered a Römer seat by mistake, thinking that every seat is of course rear facing. Maybe I should sell RF seats over here, at some time.

Anyway, thanks again for all those answers. That was very helpful!
Marie

InternationalMama

Big (testing-)organisations like the ADAC recommend RF seats on their website but test almost exclusively FF seats, not mentioning RF seats in those tests and the fact that you can't buy them in Germany.
Marie

I think that all the seats the ADAC has tested actually can be purchased in Germany, it's just a lot of work. As an example I mentioned, you can get a Duologic seat (one which they tested), but the price is 499 Euros.

I actually thought it was strange that AdventureDad said the ADAC doesn't like ERF seats because they really seem to go out of their way to test them even though they take up a very small share of the market and I've also read articles where they draw attention to and promote them.

I'm glad you made a decision on your seat! When you have it I'd love for you to come back and post a report about your experience. We're looking for a seat for a VW Golf too. :)

Adventuredad

The German testers are famous for disliking rear facing seats, especially the Swedish ones and which are rarely tested by them. When someone mention a test by a rear facing seat with low grades the first question is always " Was the test done in Germany?":whistle:

One should also know that car seat testing is like everything else, some get better treatment and grades than others for different reasons.

Truth is most rear facing seats offer fantastic safety. It's long rear facing time , this means high seat shells and high weight limit, which is important. Type of seat matter less.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC