How to secure a fire extinguisher??

Mom to a few

I was filling out the chaperone information for the kids' school this year, and was surprised by one of the changes they made this year. They now require that all chaperones (transporting children in their own vehicle) have a fire extinguisher.

So now my big concern is how to secure the fire extinguisher in such a way that it doesn't become a projectile in a crash/sudden stop?? Any ideas?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
1. Put it in the trunk.
2. If you don't have a trunk, put it under a seat and tie it securely down to a cargo anchor as well.

Mom to a few

I have a minivan, so no trunk. I was also wondering if the extinguisher could explode in a crash since it's contents are under so much pressure??

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's why I'd put it under a seat. Just in case something does happen to it if it's secured under a seat, it's more likely to be contained and not go flinging metal at people.

Personally, I'd probably just not want it in the car.

Misty-Bug

personally I would never put one in a vehicle.

Phil has a cousin who had one in his truck. behind the seat, STRAPPED down secure. However in an accident it came undone from the holder and smashed around the truck in the process it broke his arm and his arm is still screwy to this day. I know it may be bad but I don't have one in my car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
personally I would never put one in a vehicle.

Phil has a cousin who had one in his truck. behind the seat, STRAPPED down secure. However in an accident it came undone from the holder and smashed around the truck in the process it broke his arm and his arm is still screwy to this day. I know it may be bad but I don't have one in my car.

That is exactly what I'd be concerned about! And why I wouldn't have one in the car.

Misty-Bug

That is exactly what I'd be concerned about! And why I wouldn't have one in the car.

yeah. I know some people say if it is secured and stuff but this was behind the seat and secured but it came loose. The force of an accident is too great. Not something I personally wanted to chance then when I heard about his cousin it confirmed it for me.

southpawboston

some fire extinguishers might come with a metal mounting strap that can be screwed into the sheet metal of the trunk.

if you have a car that has a platform in the trunk, under which the spare tire is kept, you can try to keep it in that spare tire well, under the secondary platform.

honestly i don't trust cargo anchors that come with most cars. many are plastic. :twocents:

TXAggieTech

We have a full size one in our truck and have needed it(them) 3 times. The first time we didn't have one, then second time we had a small one and it didn't do the job and the third time DH used one from inside the store.

Ours stays in the box behind the last row and gets checked and smacked on the bottom every few months.

One of the geocaches we went on tonight someone had logged that this story:

Out on biz trip to the west so caching buddy, Retrofit, promised an all day "unusual" caching run. Unusual, in that back in Texas we cache a much lower altitudes. Grateful we had his 4x4, just in case. Fires, and nearly hurricane-level winds, also made for a unique day. As we left the cache, and while keeping an eye one the fires nearby, we heard a TREMENDOUS whooshing sound from behind us!. Retro slams the breaks, we jump from the Suburban. Look around, nope, not a low flying jet. I pull open the back door to find that the large fire extinguisher has dislodged itself from its bracket and is releasing its contents. That was heart-stopper. Thanx for the memories.

Mom to a few

I don't understand why we have to take one in the car anyway. If there's a fire in or near my car, my #1 priority is to get the kids out of the car, and move them a safe distance away. It's not like I'm going to run back to try to fight a fire on the side of the road--meanwhile leaving the kids next to a road with cars whizzing by...I'd rather let the car burn to a crisp than abandon the kids in my care.

My spare is under the passenger side of my van (I unscrew a bolt in front of the passenger side captain's chair to lower it to the ground under the van). To me, it just doesn't seem like there's really a "safe" place to put it. The bigger problem is that most chaperones probably won't give this a thought, and will just toss it in the car "wherever".

So are there great benefits to having an extinguisher in the car (that I'm apparently missing), or should I call the school and ask that they change this requirement??

Evolily

It may be a law or code that children transported by school sanctioned vehicle must have a fire extinguisher.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
So are there great benefits to having an extinguisher in the car (that I'm apparently missing), or should I call the school and ask that they change this requirement??

Generally speaking, you don't end up using the fire extinguisher on your own vehicle, you use it on someone else's. Having a fire extinguisher can give you enough time to get kids out of the back seat.

Also, if you're in an area with a high risk of wild fires, being able to put out your car with the fire extinguisher could still mean you don't end up running (with your children) away from the brush fire your car started after it burned to a crisp.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC