Introduction & Car Seat Story

BabyGearCollector

Hi,

I've just recently joined this site and wanted to say a little about myself and why I decided to join. My name is Dave, I'm 59 and married, and have a girl and boy now grown. A few of you I recognize from the StrollerSwap group. I'm mainly a collector of vintage strollers and prams, but have been looking for an older classic car seat. I've already noticed there's a member who goes by "classicseats" and has a beautiful car seat collection. Hope to get some good input from you!:)

Now as to the car seat story. My wife and I always made sure our children were securely restrained in their seats. We even went to the expense of replacing a Ford Tempo with a more expensive and larger GMC van after our second child was born for safety's sake. The shape of the Tempo's rear seat back didn't allow for a secure placement of the two car seats now needed to be used. At least it didn't feel right to us, and until the van was purchased we had to keep one seat on the passenger side front bucket seat and the other in the center of the rear with one of us squeezed between door and seat on either side. No fun at all on a longer drive, but at least we could securely attach both seats that way.

Anyway, when we still only had our daughter, my wife was going to a friend's house one day with daughter secure in her car seat placed in the middle of the rear seat facing forward - she being about 2yo at the time. My wife had to make a left at a bad intersection along the way. She started turning when clear and before she knew what happened a car with impatient driver in the opposing side of the intersection quick shot out from behind another car, hitting our car in the rear quarter hard enough to spin it 180 degrees. The car seat did it's job perfectly protecting our little girl from injury. Without being restrained, I have no doubt she would have been ejected through a side window glass suffering serious head injury or death. In fact, my wife later told me our daughter didn't even cry through the whole ordeal since she was protected so well, she just looked around as if she were thinking, "What happened!?"

The attitude of some of our friends towards car seats, on the other hand, were upsetting to us. We were labeled "car seat sticklers" by a few. On one occasion, we were going to ride with them and they actually asked, "do you really need to take the [car]seat?" Our answer: "YES!!!":mad: Far as we were concerned, if they didn't have space for her car seat, they didn't have space for the three of us, period! We didn't need Congress to pass a law when common sense should dictate the safe way to transport children in a car. Our friends should count themselves fortunate they never had a serious accident when their kids were little with their casual attitude toward child safety in a moving vehicle. Our daughter is alive and well today because we took safety serious!

Thanks for reading, and I'm happy to be here.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

CarseatDiva

Hi Dave!!! I do remember you from my StrollerSwap days! I have been MIA from StrollerSwap for a few years! But I still lust after a few double strollers!

monstah

I will not google strollerswap. I will not google strollerswap.

Car seats are already waaaay too expensive. :p

BabyGearCollector

It's getting kinda late, so I'll have to answer some replies tomorrow. Thanks for all the welcomes! :) To Classicseats and Crunchy, I answered your PMs but not sure they were sent because I'm still in moderated status. Under my PM sent folder it's showing zero sent. I hope maybe they are also sitting in a moderator's queue for approval as my posts do for now? Please let me know if you receive them.

EDIT: Ahhh...I'm out of moderation! YAY!!!:)

Dave

Maedze

Hi Dave

Great to have you! It sounds like you and your wife were ahead of the curve on child restraints. I'm glad your tale of caution is a happy one, rather than so many sad ones from that time period :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hey Dave! Glad to see you here. You once sent me a picture of a nifty orange stroller that my mother confirmed was the one I rode in as a kid :D

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, we have a very vibrant community and a lot of fun :)

cookie123

Welcome, Dave. It's good to see someone older than myself here!! I don't go to stroller swap. I have a love of strollers, but finances and rarely needing one keep me in line. Do you have any grandkids?

BabyGearCollector

Hi Dave!!! I do remember you from my StrollerSwap days! I have been MIA from StrollerSwap for a few years! But I still lust after a few double strollers!

I won't mention names since I see you didn't post yours, but just out of curiosity did I buy the colorful Simo Nordic Cruiser from you a few years back. The seller was from NC, and it's been about three years since I've seen her on Swap. Just have this feeling you might be her.;)

Dave

BabyGearCollector

I should have remembered the multiple quote capability since I'm on another group using this same format. Perhaps a moderator could kindly merge my posts if double posting is frowned upon. It is on the other group I mentioned.

Hi Dave

Great to have you! It sounds like you and your wife were ahead of the curve on child restraints. I'm glad your tale of caution is a happy one, rather than so many sad ones from that time period :(

Thank you very much!:) I know, on occasion I'll still see someone driving by with young kids unrestrained in the rear seat. You can tell by how freely they're bouncing around they are not in a child restraint of any kind. It's almost like the parents think they're immortal and nothing can ever happen to them or their kids on the road. Makes no sense at all...

Welcome, Dave!

Yes, stay far, FAR away from strollerswap! Every time I start checking again, I end up with another stroller...

LOL There's a measure of wisdom in those words you gave to "2mykids"!;) I joined back in Feb. 2004, having "only" five strollers in my collection, and figuring topping off at about seven or eight. Uh huh....sure...would you believe I now have 25!!??:eek:

Hey Dave! Glad to see you here. You once sent me a picture of a nifty orange stroller that my mother confirmed was the one I rode in as a kid :D

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, we have a very vibrant community and a lot of fun :)

Hi Julie, yes I remember you! Nice to *see* you again, too!:)

:happy-wavehello: Hi, Dave!

I :love: stroller swap:whistle:

OK, Jennifer, you've got me guessing which Jennifer from Swap you might happen to be. I think there's a few! LOL Thanks for the welcome!:)

Welcome, Dave. It's good to see someone older than myself here!! I don't go to stroller swap. I have a love of strollers, but finances and rarely needing one keep me in line. Do you have any grandkids?

Thank you for the welcome!:) Yeah, strollers can get pricey! I won't say the most I've ever paid for one for fear of being instantly banned from this site for being a loonie!:p Though I'm already getting the feeling lots of folks here go just as wild over car seats.;)

Our two kids are now 20 and 23 and still living at home. Neither one is in a big rush to up and get married, so grandkids are not in our immediate future.:( Guess I shouldn't complain. They've both grown into respectful and responsible young adults and have never given us any trouble or reason to worry about them. We count our blessings for that!:)

Dave

BabyGearCollector

Hi Dave :) I frequent Strollerswap and know you from there.

Hi there! Looks like there's more folks here who know me from Swap than I first realized. Just from checking out a few threads here, members of Car-Seat.org have really impressed me with being as knowledgable about car seats, new and vintage, as Swap members are about new and older strollers!:)

Dave

MANDY1234

hi Dave :) Nick to "meet" you!

Oh and I am so glad my computer wont let me enter strollerswap at work...I already have how much I need to save budgeted for the next year to buy my top 9 car seats lol I can only imagine what strollers would do for me :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC