What age is the Britax Roundabout typically outgrown?

mommaon112903

My very good friend was just given a RA after her Triumph (old style, at least three years old) saw its last ride (her daughter puked all over it and the foam broke into pieces, and one of her friends graciously gave her the RA) and when I saw her daughter in it last weekend I was SHOCKED to see she dosen't have much room left!

M has *just* turned 2yrs of age, her shoulders directly below the last harness slot :eek: M weighs less than 30lbs, and yes should be RFing but even though with everything Mom knows she is not interested in RFing :( I was very shocked to see this seat almost outgrown at such a young age. Is this typical?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Not exactly typical, but not shockingly unusual, unfortunately. DD1 outgrew the RA about that age, but DD2 still would have loads of room.

skipspin

Yeah, my 2.5 yr old just barely outgrew it RFing, but I have short chubby kids. I'll bet he'll fit FF till around 40#s.

I think around 3 a decent number of kids could outgrow it by height. I mean, probably not a majority, but there are some tall kids out there.

Maedze

I think many kids outgrow it by 2.5, most by three.

I have spied with own little eyes, however, a pair of five year old twins who fit with room to grow in their Roundabouts.

arly1983

C outgrew the RA RFing by weight (35 lbs) before height. Actually, she could still fit in the SS1 by height at 35lbs. She was on the short side. She outgrew it by height FFing at 36.5 lbs two months ago.

I think J outgrew it by height FFing at about 2(?) at least from what I can remember.

My neice N is 21 months old and has about a half an inch FFing.

C's friend, A, was 3 in April and just started needing the top slots.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
DS1 (now 12) used the RA until he fully outgrew it at 4 yrs, 1 month. He was around 37 lbs and 40" at that point. DS2 fit until he was about 3.5 - I don't remember exactly but he was close to 40" as well. My friend has triplet boys who are 3.5 now and they all still fit fine in their RAs.

Wineaux

My DS turned 2 at the end of June and he is still RF in his RA. That said, he doesn't have much time left before I have to FF him. I really don't like typing that, but I couldn't use a tall shelled seat in my convertible PT Cruiser and still have a usable front seat. One more really big growth spurt and I think he'll have outgrown it by height. Unfortunately, he's been eating like a horse and taking really long naps, so methinks the end is nigh... :crying:

He'll still have another year or so FF if I keep him in the RA, but once I turn him around, I'll be able to use a taller shelled seat for FF, and so I'll most likely sell my RA while it still has a lot of life left in it to help offset the cost of a new seat. The snazzy LSU cover on it should make it sell quickly and for a very nice price considering where I live. Especially with football season getting ready to start...

Wineaux

Have you tried putting the Truefit in there?

FF it would be great! RF? With the headrest on there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades of it going in and my still being able to have someone sit in the front passenger seat. My DW's 6' tall, and with the tall shelled seats I have to ram the front seat all the way to the dashboard in order to get those tall seats in there. The RA only has about 1/4" of clearance from touching the back seat as it is...

Jonah Baby

We got rid of our RA just after Jo turned two...which was a dumb idea, as it had at least 3 years left...

At this point Jo's legs were what I considered "crunched" RFing (one of the few cases I've ever believed!), and I'm all for ERFing. He refused to ever fold them up or hang them over the sides, so I could see the only options he had left were uncomfortable. And yes, he screamed and whined every time he got in it RFing, as opposed to FFing which he loved in this seat.
He had roughly 2" of shell above his head FFing, only on the harness slots one down from the top! I think mine had a 30 pound RF limit, as it was older. This means he was definitely too heavy to RF when we got rid of it.
40 pound FFing, right? This means he would be getting close to the weight limit before 2 and a half, but I'm positive he'd not have the adequate shell left to continue using it - I shoulda kept it, though! A normal sized baby could use it!

abigaylebelle

My friend's daughter has just outgrown the ra and she recently turned 4. She's long-waisted though and she is nearly 40lbs. My ds is still rear-facing with lots of room to grow at 28 months but he is short waisted and lighter than most children his age. I have watched one little boy who still fit the ra at age 5, but he was on the shorter/lighter side.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Leah's pretty tall and she's probably right on outgrowing it by now (it's got top slots roughly equal to the second to top slots on the Radian/Marathon/True Fit). Back when it was the only good seat on the market, kids really did tend to fit in it till 4. It was known as a tall slotted seat back then, compared to the Century/Evenflo/Graco shorties that were out back then, that were outgrown by 3 more often than not because their slots were 13.5-14.5 or so. It's not that kids are bigger now, it's just that so few people own it that we don't get a full picture of how long they'd really fit, so the huge kids outgrowing it so soon (which, yeah, the OP's friend's kiddo isn't totally rare!)stories tend to stick in our heads more, IMO.

Maedze

My daughter is 60th percentile for height, so nearly average, and not 'tall-torsoed', and she outgrew the Roundabout by height a good 8 months ago. (She's three and a half now.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC