Anyone else seen Ponyo (really, this IS CPS related!)

Evolily

Possible spoilers in this thread!

I saw Ponyo today. At the beginning I was SO HAPPY to see the little boy (5 y/o) in a booster :thumbsup: that positioned the seat belt correctly :D . I remember seeing Totoro, which had the kids riding in a truck bed under a desk and ducking from police, which even given it was a 20 year old film was still disappointing. The mom was an INSANE driver even in the scenes showing normal driving and he was sitting in the front seat of what looked like a smart for 4 with a backseat full of projectiles :thumbsdown: . And then in one of the dramatic parts the kid was turning around in his seat, riding without his belt, etc, but even with impending drowning a few feet behind his mom was saying something about putting on a seat belt :thumbsup: . So it was sort of a mixed bag, although I really like that it showed a kid in a high back booster.

ANYWAY, yeah, I think I need to see it again now that I've gotten the safety stuff out of my head and can actually focus on the story. Anyone else seen it? LOL!

ADS

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Yes I saw that also. Lisa was a crazy, crazy driver! But I was happy that he was at least in a booster....except for the one scene.

And we did enjoy the film. DD was enamoured by Ponyo and couldn't stop talking about her all evening long.:love:

tjham

A few days ago, I showed my 4 yr old grandson the 2 previews for it on youtube. He LOVES it, so I guess we'll be seeing the movie soon.
(and I love Liam Neeson. :love: )
I really don't get the appeal of, what is it called, anime? It seems strange that Japanese cartoons look so un-Japanese. LOL

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I really don't get the appeal of, what is it called, anime? It seems strange that Japanese cartoons look so un-Japanese. LOL

Can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean this movie isn't like the anime you've seen before, or that you don't like anime because the characters/scenes don't look Japanese?

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie - we really like Miyazaki films! :D

tjham

Yes, that's what I mean. I have never seen an actual anime movie before, just snippets of cartoons, etc. So I know what it looks like and recognize it as from Japanese origins. I just read about it on Wikipedia and understand it more now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

By the 1930s, animation became an alternative format of storytelling to the underdeveloped live-action industry in Japan. Unlike in the United States, the live-action industry in Japan remained a small market and suffered from budgeting, location, and casting restrictions. The lack of Western-looking actors, for example, made it next to impossible to shoot films set in Europe, America, or fantasy worlds that do not naturally involve Japan. Animation allowed artists to create any characters and settings.[7]

I took my grandson this morning! He LOVED it. It was really pretty good. I look forward to watching it again (at home) to clear up some confusion (said by an addict of rewinding :p )

The seat belt use was 50-50. When it was good, it was very, very good and when it was bad, it was horrid. :D

The fact that the mom left a 5 yr old alone (well, with a preschool fish-girl) in a storm, eh, not so good.

Her driving was abhorant!

The song at the end is cute!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX82kFE4KxY&feature=related"]YouTube - Ponyo Theme Song![/ame]

The two trailers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfNtYF94cQ&feature=fvw"]YouTube - Ponyo - On The Cliff By The Sea- Official Trailer [HD][/ame] #1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfjww2cA2FE&feature=related"]YouTube - Ponyo - Official Trailer 2 [HD][/ame] #2

Last edited:

Evolily

If he liked it, you need to rent My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service :)

Some of Mizaki's films use more asian settings/character (ie: Totoro, Ponyo, Spirited Away, etc) and other films use more of a western settings/characters (Kiki, Howls Moving Castle, etc). But even then it's somewhat ambiguous.

brightredmtn

Just saw this today and I couldn't stop thinking about everyone here!

Great movie! DS liked it WAY better than Monsters V. Aliens and Up. Good taste...

agurlsride

A few days ago, I showed my 4 yr old grandson the 2 previews for it on youtube. He LOVES it, so I guess we'll be seeing the movie soon.
(and I love Liam Neeson. :love: )

That is definitely Japanese animation...the round mouth and head, round eyes. tiny nose, very characteristic (heh...I happen to have the advantage of being japanese and watching japanese TV with grandma and great-grandma)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC