Best Booster - Parkway SG vs Monterey

ADS

monstah

I chose the SG because my DS will have to start booster training before he turns 5 due to his size. I wanted the extra assurance of the anti-submarine clip.
If he was 50 pounds and over 5, I would have chosen the Monterey for its LATCHing capabilities.

mommaon112903

We have a SK Monterey in my DH's car which is a 2004 Chevy Impala. We chose the Monterey for the LATCH and deepness of it since DH's car does not have the SI airbags or SI curtains and Josef has to be seated outboard due to a twisted seatbelt (it was installed that way).

In my car I will have an old-style Parkway (sorry, sooo not in :love: with the SG :duck:) and honestly not sure where Josef will sit :eek: I have side impact airbags and curtains in my 2005 Honda Accord and would like him in the middle (easier for me to help him buckle up in the pick-up line at school) but will place him wherever it fits best.

Josef is broader thru the shoulders and the Monterey fits him VERY nicely. We ALL :love: the Monterey! He is one of those kiddos whom breaks the "the Monterey does not fit smaller kiddos well" because of his broader shoulders. Josef tops the scales at a whopping 41lbs :p

We :love: the Monterey and the OLD style Parkway, just not a fan of the SG :eek: We like em chunky :p

mykidsmylife

I was also asking this. LOL. My son complains about his butt hurting in his TB. So I was looking at these 2 boosters. I think I am going to go with the Monterey as well. He is almost 50lbs and will be 7 next month so I think it would be the best choice.

emandbri

I would choose the Monterey. I like how the lap belt is lower than on the parway, the headwings are deeper, and the extra side protection. I think if the latch was rigid or got tighter it would be the perfect booster.

lovemyfamily

Good to see this. DS#1 is currently in a Regent and he turns 8 in Sept. I told him once he turns 8 we would move him to a booster full time. Trying to decide what to do for him. Convert DS#2s Frontier to a booster and let him use that, get him a new Parkway, we already have one for him to use when we travel, or get him a Monterey. He is a big boy, 65#s and 54ish inches.

For my 6 1/2 year old, 55 pound child we have the Old style parkway and turbooster. He just loves the parkway.
Out of the ones you mentioned for him I would get the monterey.

For my 4 1/2 year old, 35 pound child he is harnessed still, but when he does go in a booster, I want the SG, because he is so small. That won't be till he is at least 6 though(and of course 42 pounds maybe).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No LATCH in my third row, so I'm going with the SG, which is also reported to be a little taller. So it's a good choice for my 10 yo in a spot with no LATCH. Shorter kid in the middle row with LATCH, probably Monterey (If we didn't already have and adore the Frontier...)

mykidsmylife

No LATCH in my third row, so I'm going with the SG, which is also reported to be a little taller. So it's a good choice for my 10 yo in a spot with no LATCH. Shorter kid in the middle row with LATCH, probably Monterey (If we didn't already have and adore the Frontier...)

the monterey doesnt have to be latched does it?

DS wants the frontier now.. ugh...

Jo&Co

I'm also looking at this ... the seat will be going in the third row of my Sienna, which has LATCH in 2 spots. Would I be able to LATCH the Monterey beside a Nautilus I wonder? I like the looks of it a lot better than the Parkway (the armrests for one look useless on the Parkway, and my son is already complaining about not having armrests on the booster we are replacing).

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
the monterey doesnt have to be latched does it?

Nope... the LATCH totally retracts back into the seat.

I would (and have, and will again) choose the Monterey, but I'm seriously in love with that seat. My kids fall asleep in it and have ZERO slump and my anti-booster six year old has asked to take it on vacation with him. He loves the headwings. I like that it's substancial and I don't have to worry about the kids falling out of it while sleeping. The wings on the SG just didn't seem deep enough for me to be certain they'd stay in them while asleep.

Plus I need LATCH. I won't ride with an unbuckled booster anymore and I'm too lazy to buckle the things in all the time... and it's causing problems at school dropoff. By fall all of my booster riders will be in LATCHed Montereys.

This is not to say the SG is a bad seat, it's all just my opinion :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm also looking at this ... the seat will be going in the third row of my Sienna, which has LATCH in 2 spots. Would I be able to LATCH the Monterey beside a Nautilus I wonder? I like the looks of it a lot better than the Parkway (the armrests for one look useless on the Parkway, and my son is already complaining about not having armrests on the booster we are replacing).

Not sure how it would work next to a Nautilus. In terms of the Monterey solely, IME with our '05 Sienna, you should be able to LATCH the Monterey in the third row passenger side in a 2004-2010 Sienna but not in the third row center due to the offset spacing of the center's lower LATCH anchors relative to the center's seatbelt buckle stalk. The third row center's lower LATCH anchor closest to the driver's side is positioned more outboard than the seatbelt buckle stalk for the third row center.

bubbaray

I would (and have, and will again) choose the Monterey, but I'm seriously in love with that seat. My kids fall asleep in it and have ZERO slump and my anti-booster six year old has asked to take it on vacation with him. He loves the headwings. I like that it's substancial and I don't have to worry about the kids falling out of it while sleeping. The wings on the SG just didn't seem deep enough for me to be certain they'd stay in them while asleep.

:yeahthat:

horseymom

I'm trying to decided between these two as well. I'm so confused!! I think I'd get the monterey in a heart beat but we don't have latch and I'm worried about using it with out. And I'm worried how deep is the PW in the leg area.

Kat_Momof3

for me, if the legs are bending over the edge nicely on the Monterey, I'd get the Monterey.

all that body support just really does it for me... and the thick headwings are awesome. I really loved the Monterey and it still kind of hurts that Ruthie will just never be wide enough for one... even at almost 6.5, she's a narrow and skinny thing with this long torso... she fits so well in her Recaro Vivo, though.

I ache for a probooster for her because of the Monterey, and if she still has enough grow room to warrent it down the line when I can afford it (I'm in school right now, so it changed our ability to scrimmage for it), I'll get her that.

Heck, I'd toss the probooster into consideration along with the parkway sg and the monterey.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC