Question LAWS for TETHERS & LATCH in Canada??? (esp. for a Britax Frontier)

I can't find the info...I'm considering the Britax Frontier but wondering:

(a) is it ALLOWED to be TETHERED longer?? Or until WHEN/poundage???

Also what about LATCH??
(b) does anyone KNOW the POUNDAGE that is ALLOWED for LATCH?? (in CANADA)...or is it by the CAR?? (we have a 2004 Nissan sentra)

I guess what I'm wondering is WHICH seat is going to be BEST for us...because I'd like the LATCH install and TETHER the LONGEST...of course, don't we ALL?!

ANY assisstance would be GREATLY appreciated!!:thumbsup:
Thanks in advance,

Julie

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are you meaning harness when you're saying tether? The harness is what holds the child in--the tether is the strap coming from the top of the carseat to attach to that upper anchorage in your vehicle.

Your top tether "weight limit" is actually based on Newtons, which is a combination of speed and weight/load, and the resulting force. For our purposes, this is a minimum of 40lbs.. However, we have a lot of information here in Canada about top tether weight limits and these do not fail above any manufacturer stated weight limit. It is required that your Canadian seat be top tethered at all times.

Harness weight limits depend on manufacturer and individual seats. Maximum harness weights can be 30, 33, 35 and soon 40lbs rear-facing then 40, 47, 48 and 65 forward-facing...in various combinations, depending on the individual seat.

Lower anchorage weight limits are 40, 48, and 60 (there may be others?) with most manufacturers being 40 or 48. Your Nissan is 48. You must discontinue LATCH use at that point and convert to a seatbelt install, when you have a child restraint that allows for harnessing beyond 48lbs.

The Frontier in specific.. you MUST top tether regardless of weight (here in Canada), then the harness itself goes to 65lbs, and your LATCH anchors go to 48. So you can continue to use the carseat harness to 65lbs, but must convert to a vehicle belt install (still in conjunction with the top tether, which is still required) at the 48lb mark until the seat is then outgrown by weight or height--whichever comes first.

-Nicole.

Nicole!!
Thanks for this INFO!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Okay so I can latch to 48 but ALWAYS tether regardless of weight...I didn't KNOW that...I thought certain seats were LONGER for the top tether.
(and yes, I MEAN tether BTW).
My daughter is in an APEX right now and I'm NOT fond of it and would like to UPgrade to the frontier.
Now then, from what you're saying, the stipulations would be the same for BOTH seats then right?
Harness to 65 lbs and ALWAYS top tethered...but of course, the Frontier would LAST longer because it GOES to 100lb with the belt.
Okay, so do I have it all STRAIGHT now???
Julie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC